So is Gardner Minshew your QBOTF now?

Uncle Buck

Who is the Eagles QB of the Future?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Who do YOU want as your QB of the future?

• Jalen Hurts
    • Gardner Minshew
    • Other

15 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

I want to stick to the plan and see how Jalen does these last 4 games. If we go 1-3, I think getting someone who could be the guy becomes much more prudent. If he’s fine, we win out or make the playoffs I think you roll with Jalen into next year given the options.

Boils down to I have more questions that need answers with Hurts. Sitting him for a guy who’s talent is like the lower two thirds of a Jeff Garcia, seems a bit misguided at this point. 

I’m not marrying either one and if Jalen is so so, but you don’t bring in someone new next year…have em compete for it. 

That’s valid. I have a few issues though.

Hurts going 1-3 automatically makes him a one and done guy? I don’t think that’s fair. There’s obviously a lot of variables. But what are these 4 games going to tell you that we already don’t know? Does he magically figure it out? Maybe so but I don’t understand why these 4 games mean more than any other 4 games. Maybe it completes his 20 or so game evaluation and it would be unfair to cut it short? I dunno. I like him but I think he lacks what you need and there’s nothing him or coaching can do about it. As I see it, the more he tries to be an NFL QB, the worse he’s going to look. I think we’re getting the best of him right now and that’s not it for me. 

And also, I know Minshew is a JV QB but I don’t know why everyone has unequivocally formulated opinion on him with data from Jacksonville, where it’s a complete **** show, as their reliance. And by the way, stats show he was pretty damn decent there. Tape might show differently but as far as I know, he’s a capable passer for what this team needs right now. Cutting him off now is like cutting Hurts off now. Maybe there needs to be some more evaluation there. Either way, no one knows for sure. The people that want to give Hurts more opportunity should feel the same way about Minshew getting more opportunity, frankly. Especially when posters, outside maybe Nabbs, feels that Hurts has like a 20% chance to actually be a viable option. That’s not enough to tie your wagon to. 

22 hours ago, Jroc04 said:

That’s valid. I have a few issues though.

Hurts going 1-3 automatically makes him a one and done guy? I don’t think that’s fair. There’s obviously a lot of variables. But what are these 4 games going to tell you that we already don’t know? Does he magically figure it out? Maybe so but I don’t understand why these 4 games mean more than any other 4 games. Maybe it completes his 20 or so game evaluation and it would be unfair to cut it short? I dunno. I like him but I think he lacks what you need and there’s nothing him or coaching can do about it. As I see it, the more he tries to be an NFL QB, the worse he’s going to look. I think we’re getting the best of him right now and that’s not it for me. 

And also, I know Minshew is a JV QB but I don’t know why everyone has unequivocally formulated opinion on him with data from Jacksonville, where it’s a complete **** show, as their reliance. And by the way, stats show he was pretty damn decent there. Tape might show differently but as far as I know, he’s a capable passer for what this team needs right now. Cutting him off now is like cutting Hurts off now. Maybe there needs to be some more evaluation there. Either way, no one knows for sure. The people that want to give Hurts more opportunity should feel the same way about Minshew getting more opportunity, frankly. Especially when posters, outside maybe Nabbs, feels that Hurts has like a 20% chance to actually be a viable option. That’s not enough to tie your wagon to. 

Jalen is unequivocally the more physically talented player. His issue is mental/field processing. So giving Jalen as many reps to see if any of that progresses is more worthwhile than anything Minshew can give. Unless Jalen is playing really poorly and the team is in position to make the playoffs. Then that justifies a switch.

16 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

Jalen is unequivocally the more physically talented player. His issue is mental/field processing. So giving Jalen as many reps to see if any of that progresses is more worthwhile than anything Minshew can give. Unless Jalen is playing really poorly and the team is in position to make the playoffs. Then that justifies a switch.

I really don't think there's any separation regarding Minshew's arm and Jalen's arm frankly. 

If we want to win this season, the right choice is Minshew. There's is logic to your stance, I get it. Jalen's legs could be a difference maker if he learns to read the field and actually become a somewhat competent passer. I just can't imagine that happening in the short term. Even going into next year, if I'm a betting man, I think there's a better chance he doesn't learn to do it than he does, but it's not out of the question I suppose.

1 hour ago, Danger said:

I really don't think there's any separation regarding Minshew's arm and Jalen's arm frankly. 

If we want to win this season, the right choice is Minshew. There's is logic to your stance, I get it. Jalen's legs could be a difference maker if he learns to read the field and actually become a somewhat competent passer. I just can't imagine that happening in the short term. Even going into next year, if I'm a betting man, I think there's a better chance he doesn't learn to do it than he does, but it's not out of the question I suppose.

Jalen has a better arm than Minshew. Although jalens arm isnt good either.

1 hour ago, EaglesPeteC said:

Meh, better legs sure. There’s nothing I seen that he has a better arm in any way. And really, we’re all more concerned about the way he processes and the ability to be accurate in even the most simplest of routes. Minshew clearly better there. 

I don’t know why Hurts gets a pass or more leash but Minshew is written off when he performed well in a terrible situation. 21 starts, 5800 yards, 39 TDs, 11 INTs and 25 years old. I can work with that. It’s not like he’s a journeyman that’s failed over and over. He was thrown into a bad situation and was replace by a high priced FA and then a 1st round pick. His book isn’t closed yet. He’s earned a shot to be a starter elsewhere. Not that it has to be here but he’s going to get another look to be the guy, here or else. He should, at least. 

Even though I’m against it, I believe Hurts deserves the rest of the year to prove whatever he needs to prove. I just don’t see him magically finding the ability and/or confidence to throw the way he needs to for success in the next 4 games. Not trying to waste a playoff opportunity to find out what, imo, I already know. Could he turn the page? I guess but Jesus, would that be a turnaround like I’ve never seen. I’m ok with both of them fighting for the spot next year. But I’ve seen what I needed to see this year out of Hurts. 

• Like 1