Week 9 Bengals @ Jaguars

MrCincinnati

The halfway point of the season, and this game is what could be a turning point for the Bengals. A win here would certainly give me as well as the rest of bengaldom more hope. Also it says something when the Jaguars of all teams are favored to beat you.

HISTORY LESSON

The Bengals are 3-7 against the Jaguars when playing in Jacksonville, but the Bengals currently have a 4 game winning streak on the Jaguars, and also winning the last 2 matchups in Jacksonville
Last matchup – 2014 season Bengals won 33-23 in Cincinnati
Last matchup in Jacksonville – 2012 season Bengals won 27-10
Last Jaguars win – 2005 season Bengals won 23-20 in Jacksonville

GAMEDAY INFO

Game time will be this Sunday 1 PM ET on CBS. Here’s the TV Map:
http://506sports.com/nfl.php?yr=2017&wk=9

5 KEYS TO VICTORY

5. Better 2nd Half Team – The Bengals scored 14 points in the 2nd half against the Colts, which is the most they’ve done all year. Of course, half of those points were because of a pick 6, which means the offense still has lots of work to do. The Jaguars are no slouches when it comes to their defense, so this offense needs to find a way to wake up after halftime this game.

4. The Whole Defense – Honestly I feel like the defense hasn’t played good the last 2 games now, while it was understandable they struggled to the Steelers, the Colts have struggled all year on offense and found a way to make it close. They had lots of trouble stopping Frank Gore running the football, but got embarrassed the most by Jack Doyle. This defense will have to be ready to go against Leonard Fournette who’s playing like one of the best RB’s in the NFL right now.

3. Dre Kirkpatrick – The most disappointing player so far this year for me is Kirkpatrick. After getting his big payday, the guy has been getting destroyed by other WR’s all season. The good thing though is the young guys like Dennard and Jackson have played great this year, but Kirkpatrick who’s suppose to be a cornerstone player on this defense hasn’t been playing like one. This is a game he can redeem himself since the Jaguars are not good in the passing game.

2. Blown Opportunities – This offense still has lots of work to do. They only managed 17 points on a bad Colts defense, and there are still big problems with the team. It’s bad enough that the OL still struggles and John Ross isn’t being utilized, but I was frustrated with Dalton and Green against the Colts. Even though Dalton didn’t turn the ball over, his completion percentage could have been better. Also Green appears to be showing frustration with this offense finally.

1. Pass Rush 101 – Remember what your strengths are on the team. Getting to the QB is one of the big reasons why this team isn’t worse than they are now. Atkins continues to play at a probowl level, while Dunlap had a rare pick 6 that helped them win against the Colts. Lawson and Willis also appear to have a bright future if both figure to stick around with the team. On the flip side, the Jaguars offensive line is surprisingly good this year, as they given up only 11 sacks. Something will have to give.

PREDICTION

Winning this game would put the Bengals back right in the playoff picture, for real this time. Yeah sure they might be 3-4, but they look worse than there record right now. Now if they beat a playoff contending team like the Jags on the road no less, then yes they are in the playoff hunt. The good news is, the Jags have been a team this year that haven’t won nor lost 2 games, and they won their last game, which means history says they will lay an egg. The Bad news is, the Jags are coming off a bye week so they will be well rested. I expected it to be a higher scoring game than usual, but I have to pick them to lose here.

Bengals 28 Jaguars 35

1 hour ago, johndeere1707 said:

We have to shut down Fournette otherwise this is gonna be a rough game. I don’t believe our oline will be able to handle their front pressure. 

JAX- 20

CIN- 10

I don't believe their line will hold off our d-line either.

12-6

The cat team will win.

2 hours ago, MrCincinnati said:

2. Blown Opportunities – This offense still has lots of work to do. They only managed 17 points on a bad Colts defense, and there are still big problems with the team. It’s bad enough that the OL still struggles and John Ross isn’t being utilized, but I was frustrated with Dalton and Green against the Colts. Even though Dalton didn’t turn the ball over, his completion percentage could have been better. Also Green appears to be showing frustration with this offense finally.

The completion percentage last week was mainly due the heavy rush he was under.  Lots of rushed throws that were off target.

2 hours ago, MrCincinnati said:

1. Pass Rush 101 – Remember what your strengths are on the team. Getting to the QB is one of the big reasons why this team isn’t worse than they are now. Atkins continues to play at a probowl level, while Dunlap had a rare pick 6 that helped them win against the Colts. Lawson and Willis also appear to have a bright future if both figure to stick around with the team. On the flip side, the Jaguars offensive line is surprisingly good this year, as they given up only 11 sacks. Something will have to give.

Jags haven't given up many sacks because they barely throw the ball.  Except more of the same this week.  Bengals can't stop the run.  

Only chance the Bengals have this week is if they can somehow slow down Fournette and make Bortles throw the ball.  Then they'll have a better than 50% chance to come away with a win.

If they defend the run like they have the last two weeks, they probably have a 10% or less chance.  They can't let the Jags stay ahead of the chains on offense or they'll never come off the field.

On offense, they have to stay away from the 3rd and 6's and longer.  Otherwise the Jags will pin their ears back and kill Dalton.

On a positive (?) note, AJ McCarron fans may finally see him this week after Dalton is brutalized behind this oline.

I have the Jags here, 24-10.  Ugly game that ends the playoff hopes of the Bengals.

59 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

I don't believe their line will hold off our d-line either.

12-6

The cat team will win.

Big difference is the Jags can run the ball, and the Bengals can't.  One team will be facing 3rd and 2, one will be facing 3rd and 9.  I'll give you a hint as to which team gets more sacks here.

3 hours ago, theJ said:

The completion percentage last week was mainly due the heavy rush he was under.  Lots of rushed throws that were off target.

Jags haven't given up many sacks because they barely throw the ball.  Except more of the same this week.  Bengals can't stop the run.  

Top 10 in sacks allowed per passing attempt if I'm not mistaken.

7 minutes ago, Futbudds said:

Only hope is Bortles hands us the game. I have about the same amount of faith in Andy and this o line as I do Marvin’s second half adjustments. 

Andy, IMO, is playing very well despite these oline issues.  Yes, rough first two games.  But he's been good, and occasionally really good from game 3 on.  Considering the running game is averaging like 2.5 YPC and he has about 2.5 seconds to throw on average, he's doing work.

6 hours ago, theJ said:

Andy, IMO, is playing very well despite these oline issues.  Yes, rough first two games.  But he's been good, and occasionally really good from game 3 on.  Considering the running game is averaging like 2.5 YPC and he has about 2.5 seconds to throw on average, he's doing work.

I still have a bad taste in my mouth after the Texans and packers games. Mainly the second half of the packers game still sticks in my craw so bad. 

Archived