Zach Cunningham

Millenhater

2 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

I think I read, he's due $900,000 for the rest of this season. We don't have waiver priority any longer. I think he gets claimed before us. I've always liked him though. He's the LB Dan Campbell thinks Anzalone is. 

We don't?  I thought the priority falls the draft order.  Do you know the current order/priority?  

My bad, I just checked and apparently it no longer drops a team when they use the waiver claim. 

Teams do not lose priority after they make a claim. If the team with the No. 1 waiver priority puts in three waiver claims, they will get all three players.  ...most leagues have a system where if a team successfully claims a player, they are moved to the bottom of the waiver priority.

I would definitely take a flyer on Cunningham.

Worth a look for sure. Barnes has potential and I think that Anzalone is a solid, league-average starter (which is a step up for us at LB), but we are otherwise pretty barren at LB. 

From what I gather Cunningham is a great run defender but questionable in pass coverage. Does that sound right? I don't really know a ton about him and what his role might be. 

Sounds like he was a headache.  Was habitually late for practices, missing covid tests etc.  He also has been pretty bad this year which is a three year decline per PFF. 

It says he has multiple years left on his deal but Sportrac just shows a 12M signing bonus due next year.  Would that transfer to us if we claim him? 

3 hours ago, LionArkie said:

I know Jeff Risdon from the realgm days. He's a cool dude. But he's about 50/50 on his player analysis. 

As for the "disciplinary" stuff. Cunningham was benched week 2 for "not conforming to the defense", Who knows if that means missing his assignment, playing out of place, etc. Week 13, he was late for a covid test. He didn't not show. He didn't lie about being vaccinated. He didn't produce a fake vaccine card. He was late. If that is all his bad behavior over 5 years, I'll take it. 

I'm hearing conflicting things about his salary owed. This could be the hang up for me depending on what we would owe him.

But no one can deny the talent or the upgrade at a position we are lacking. Adding Cunningham to Barnes in the middle. Re-sign Charles Harris, get Okwara back health, draft Hutch or Kayvon and suddenly our LBers look a whole lot better. 

Brockers-McNeill-Onwuzurike

Hutch-Cunningham-Barnes-Okwara

Draft some safeties, let Pleasant develop our young corners. I've been aching for a good defense since 2014. 

1 hour ago, Louis Friend said:

I know Jeff Risdon from the realgm days. He's a cool dude. But he's about 50/50 on his player analysis. 

As for the "disciplinary" stuff. Cunningham was benched week 2 for "not conforming to the defense", Who knows if that means missing his assignment, playing out of place, etc. Week 13, he was late for a covid test. He didn't not show. He didn't lie about being vaccinated. He didn't produce a fake vaccine card. He was late. If that is all his bad behavior over 5 years, I'll take it. 

I'm hearing conflicting things about his salary owed. This could be the hang up for me depending on what we would owe him.

But no one can deny the talent or the upgrade at a position we are lacking. Adding Cunningham to Barnes in the middle. Re-sign Charles Harris, get Okwara back health, draft Hutch or Kayvon and suddenly our LBers look a whole lot better. 

Brockers-McNeill-Onwuzurike

Hutch-Cunningham-Barnes-Okwara

Draft some safeties, let Pleasant develop our young corners. I've been aching for a good defense since 2014. 

If he has his head on straight, he would be worth a look.  Granted, he might have gotten fed up with the Texans and not handled it the right way but we have to be careful on adding someone like this to the locker room.

We have to remember what a weird place the Houston building is right now. It's entirely possible that Cunningham just didn't buy in to the cult-esque 'culture' down there. Also very possible that he just gave up once the bag was secured, but who knows. It's certainly worth a flier. We don't have a locker room culture to mess up right now.

13 hours ago, nagahide13 said:

We have to remember what a weird place the Houston building is right now. It's entirely possible that Cunningham just didn't buy in to the cult-esque 'culture' down there. Also very possible that he just gave up once the bag was secured, but who knows. It's certainly worth a flier. We don't have a locker room culture to mess up right now.

I think the culture is the only thing we do have actually.   People want to run through a wall for Campbell.  They are bought in even with a horrible record.  Bringing in someone who doesn't buy in could lead to more not buying in with him.  Its a risk for sure to impact the momentum going forward. 

That being said, the money would be the biggest concern for me.  Sounds like he is awful against the pass per PFF and his PFF rating this year has been bad all around so is it worth it with all things considered?  Perhaps but if they do claim him, I hope they have done their homework in how to utilize him best since he should be an expensive one dimensional LB next year. 

• Like 1