Body Positivity

TOUCAN

6 minutes ago, JoshstraDaymus said:

That's not what the media has been doing and you know it. They've legitimately been making fun of the guy.

Well if he’s just packing on the pounds while not being healthy enough to play, that’s on him. Eddie Lacy could’ve done so much more for himself if he could’ve just been in shape for the career very few actually get to be a part of. 

29 minutes ago, mission27 said:

He's a professional athlete making millions who has struggled to stay on the court, staying in shape is basically his whole job, I think its fair for fans and the media to question whether his fitness and conditioning is contributing to that and whether he's doing enough to rehab.  He's not just some random 20-year-old kid.

Except the issue is the media has over exaggerated it and blatantly lied about it. 

Couple of factors here..

Historically and culturally in the United States, beauty standards have been significantly more strict on women. Like, women's inherent value as an individual has long been affected by the way they match contemporary beauty standards. Men have somewhat had to deal with this as well, but nowhere near to the degree of women. And alot of these expectations and requirements have been borderline unhealthy or damaging physically. So what you are seeing is an overcorrection to erase those strict standards.

Media has historically been dictated through the "male gaze". Again, for much if not all media history in the United States, men have been in control of the production, direction, creation and distribution of media throughout our society. Therefore, women depicted in said media tend to represent the qualities men find of value and women are there for men's enjoyment. People moving into media now (both male and female) are actively trying to undo the prevalence of the male gaze in media. 

Demographically, women are still responsible for the bulk of spending within traditional industries, like retail. Therefore, it's easy to see why companies within said industry are focusing on their representation of woman, as a way to market to their main demo. 

Also, I don't fully agree with the overall anecdote here. I feel like advertising especially does represent more "normal" men in products marketed towards men. Im thinking of ads I have seen for things like Sasquatch Soap, or Duluth clothing. I think larger companies have also done their own version of the body positivity movement for men like Dove and I think Haynes maybe? (It was a commercial with 6-8 different men in underwear). 

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I'll be honest, I've seen just as many females make these comments and do these things as I've seen guys do as well.

Yeah, I've never bought toxic masculinity as this major problem in the least masculine era in history.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Ty21 said:

Well if he’s just packing on the pounds while not being healthy enough to play, that’s on him. Eddie Lacy could’ve done so much more for himself if he could’ve just been in shape for the career very few actually get to be a part of. 

Picture if you will a bunch of out of shape guys criticizing someone for not being in shape.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

Yeah, I've never bought toxic masculinity as this major problem in the least masculine era in history.

It's a problem almost as much as anything else is and is generally blown out of proportion like majority of other issues. When supply doesn't meet the demand requirements, you gotta make stuff up. Unfortunately we'll never be able to eradicate the issue b/c that's just how some people are but some people will act like it's possible b/c they need that goal even though it's endless. 

9 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

No kidding right!?  A male body positivity thread?  Jesus ladies. 🙄 

j/k of course…

1 minute ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

It's a problem almost as much as anything else is and is generally blown out of proportion like majority of other issues. When supply doesn't meet the demand requirements, you gotta make stuff up. Unfortunately we'll never be able to eradicate the issue b/c that's just how some people are but some people will act like it's possible b/c they need that goal even though it's endless. 

I mean, that’s essentially what this whole thread is, no? Manufactured outrage to varying degrees?

34 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

I've always had the hard time with it seemingly being an off the cuff trump card with those who disagree with the values of traditional masculinity (most of which I'm highly in favor of).

I'm not sure if that makes sense.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I've always had the hard time with it seemingly being an off the cuff trump card with those who disagree with the values of traditional masculinity (most of which I'm highly in favor of).

I'm not sure if that makes sense.

I think I understand, and agree.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

j/k of course…

I mean, that’s essentially what this whole thread is, no? Manufactured outrage to varying degrees?

I don't really understand the joke. Are you saying this isn't the least masculine era ever? 

42 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

Toxic masculinity permeates as long as you let it. Also the straight irony of saying toxic masculinity isn't an issue all while indemnifying an era and calling it the least masculine era is hilarious.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

j/k of course…

You're not kididng, and if you don't have anything constructive to add to the conversation then why even make your presence in thread?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JoshstraDaymus said:

I think alot of you guys here are misconstruing the point of the thread, you're taking it as we should be applauding people for being morbidly obese. That's not the case. Here's the thing, there are fat people on this planet and that's just how it is. You don't need to comment on them give them feedback unless they ask for it, or anything at all. This thread is more about the differential between the two sexes.

There's absolutely a difference between the two sexes.  But shouldn't the focus be on women?  Women face significantly more body image pressure than men.  Its not even close.

Tbh how many men who are within semi-normal bounds of fitness will ever face body image shaming?  Nobody has ever shamed me for not having a six pack.  The bar for men is way lower. 

And, frankly, many of us would argue the body positivity movement has gone overboard.  Instead of focusing on promoting mental and physical health in the vast majority of women (and men), it increasingly focuses on enabling behaviors and lifestyles that are not only personally unhealthy but have enormous social cost to the rest of us.  At the same time, it often leads to people being shamed for having exceptional fitness or beauty, or these traits being minimized as superficial/toxic.  Fitness and beauty also take work and are traits we have celebrated throughout human history and they should not be sacrificed at the altar of the obese tbh.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, JoshstraDaymus said:

Picture if you will a bunch of out of shape guys criticizing someone for not being in shape.

I mean, how is this different than 99% of the content on this forum?  A bunch of dudes who can’t do something explaining to other dudes who can’t do the thing how dudes who can actually do the thing suck or can improve or aren’t as good as other dudes who can do the thing, etc…

• Like 1

I honestly feel bad for people who need to attempt to invalidate others for having a relatively healthy discussion just because it doesn't fit the moniker of what men talk about. I tried to post up on the r/AskMen but regardless of what I post (not just on this topic, I had tried to post a few things also... one relative to Ryan Reynolds) and I keep getting flagged

• Like 1