My Inaugural Mock Draft

kingseanjohn

I do a lot of mocks focused on the Chiefs. I rarely look in depth at other teams because when I do, I go down the rabbit hole. So with that in mind, I haven't really done any of that. I don't know whose contracts are expiring (okay I looked at a few teams). I'm going in (mostly) blind and basing this off of what I've seen each week. I'm also stealing @Suffering_Bills order/format.

Draft order as of 12-8-21.

#01. DETROIT: Aidan Hutchinson, DE, Michigan - Toss up between him and Thibodeaux.

#02. HOUSTON: Kayvon Thibodeaux, DE, Oregon - Need a QB, but do they fit the culture? BPA is the answer.

#03. JACKSONVILLE: Evan Neal, OL, Alabama - I know they took Walker Little last year, who I like, so best man plays LT. But Lawrence needs to be protected and Neal should be a great OG, if not OT.

#04. N.Y. JETS: Kenyon Green, OG, Texas A&M - They need to surround Wilson with talent and figure out if he's their QB or not.

#05. N.Y. JETS: (From Seattle.) George Karlaftis, DE, Purdue - I wanted to go WR but I think Karlaftis goes early and it's a deep WR class.

#06. N.Y. GIANTS: (From Chicago.) Garrett Wilson, WR, Ohio State - May be early, but Jones needs weapons.

#07. N.Y. GIANTS: Kyle Hamilton, S, Notre Dame - Play maker for the back end.

#08. ATLANTA: Matt Corral, QB, Mississippi - They need to start grooming Ryan's heir. Let him sit a year.

#09. CAROLINA: Sam Howell, QB, North Carolina - The Newton/Darnold/whoever experiment needs to come to an end. They have too many weapons for what's happening.

#10. MINNESOTA: Derek Stingley, CB, LSU - I just feel like this is a Zimmer pick.

#11. NEW ORLEANS: Chris Olave, WR, Ohio State - Get Jameis some help.

#12. PHILADELPHIA: (From Miami.) DeMarvin Leal, DL, Texas A&M - Looking to solidify their DL.

#13. PHILADELPHIA: Andrew Booth Jr., CB, Clemson - Help for the back end.

#14. DENVER: David Ojabo, Edge, Michigan - Replaces Miller and upgrades their DL. I think they go hard for Wilson/Rodgers or let Teddy have one more year.

#15. LAS VEGAS: Jameson Williams, WR, Alabama - I haven't scouted Williams yet, but he's rated highly and Raiders need WR help.

#16. CLEVELAND: Jordan Davis, DT, Georgia - I wanted to go WR but the Browns need DL help.

#17. PHILADELPHIA: (From Indianapolis.) Tyler Linderbaum, IOL, Iowa - Kelce is up there in age. But even if Kelce returns, you can't have too much OL talent. Put your best five out there.

#18. PITTSBURGH: Charles Cross, OT, Mississippi State - They need to protect their QB... Whomever that is.

#19. MIAMI: (From San Francisco.)Kaiir Elam, CB, Florida - I just went BPA according to the board I used. I really don't know Miami's needs. I feel like it's everything.

#20. WASHINGTON: Trevor Penning, OT, Northern Iowa - They need someone to protect Heinicke's blindside.

#21. BUFFALO: Ahmad Gardner, CB, Cincinnati - They need DB help. WR was also a consideration.

#22. CINCINNATI: Nicholas Petit-Frere, OT, Ohio State - They finally get their LT to protect Burrow.

#23. L.A. CHARGERS: Treylon Burks, WR, Arkansas - They need WR help for Herbert. DT was also considered.

#24. TENNESSEE: Drake London, WR, USC - Tannehill needs the help. Too many free agent WRs and Brown/Jones can't stay healthy.

#25. DETROIT: (From L.A. Rams.) Jahan Dotson, WR, Penn State - Goff needs help and their WR depth is putrid. If I'm Detroit, I consider going WR again at 33.

#26. DALLAS: Daxton Hill, S, Michigan - They're still looking for a safety last I saw and Hill is too tough to pass on.

#27. BALTIMORE: Kingsley Enagbare, Edge, South Carolina - They only have one DE and three DT under contract in 2022.

#28. KANSAS CITY: Sam Williams, Edge, Mississippi - Position of need. I read one article citing "character concerns" but I couldn't find what those allegedly were. If it's something serious, I'd go with someone else.

#29. TAMPA BAY: David Bell, WR, Purdue - Have to make sure Brady never has to worry about weapons again. Also considered IOL and RB.

#30. GREEN BAY: Devin Lloyd, LB, Utah - Pretty sure their depth is bad, plus I don't see them keeping Smith. Also considered WR.

#31. NEW ENGLAND: Jalen Tolbert, WR, South Alabama - May be early for Tolbert, but NE has few holes and WR is a huge need.

#32. ARIZONA: Derion Kendrick, CB, Georgia - Perhaps a reach, but they have one CB under contract in 2022.

Tell Me More Lets Hear It GIF by Farmers Insurance ®

• Like 2

If we’re picking top 3 and the two edge rushers are gone Neal definitely makes the most sense.

Based on your WR run that’s worrisome though. Need at least 2-3 WRs via the draft. We may look to move down a couple spots in this type of scenario as well to make it more feasible to take Wilson/Jameo imo.

• Like 1

Pass for the Falcons this isn't the year to take Ryans replacement.  Ryan will still be here for another 2 to 3 years with his contract as it sits plus with a solid team around him he is still more than good enough to win us games.  At the absolute soonest i would look at ryans replacement in the 2023 draft.   Doing so before then is just dumb as you are wasting cheap quality controlled years of a rookie contract which to me is the worst thing you can do.  It will give you less years as and put you right back into cap hell sooner.

I'll also go on record and say that if a QB needs to sit and learn behind someone else then he damn sure don't deserve to be a 1st round QB top 10 to 15 pick coming out.  If im taking a QB in the top 10 to 15 he will be talented enough to start year 1.

With the 8th pick im taking any of  Singley,  Davis,  Leal, Linderbaum, or Ojabo

• Like 1

Browns fans are generally pretty big fans of Jordan Davis being a great fit--need to stop the run and attract attention away from our ends. We need a receiver bad, but you have Wilson, probably the only guy we'd target over Davis, going early. In this scenario, assuming Clowney is re-signed, WR or RT are the picks in rounds 2/3. Nice mock.

Edited by NudeTayne
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, .Buzz said:

If we’re picking top 3 and the two edge rushers are gone Neal definitely makes the most sense.

Based on your WR run that’s worrisome though. Need at least 2-3 WRs via the draft. We may look to move down a couple spots in this type of scenario as well to make it more feasible to take Wilson/Jameo imo.

I really like Romeo Doubs as a potential late 1st round pick. But I think goes in the 2nd/3rd and will make someone very happy. I also like some mid-late round guys potential like Reggie Roberson. I'm actually not a fan of all the 1st round guys that I mocked here.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, FalconFan13 said:

Pass for the Falcons this isn't the year to take Ryans replacement.  Ryan will still be here for another 2 to 3 years with his contract as it sits plus with a solid team around him he is still more than good enough to win us games.  At the absolute soonest i would look at ryans replacement in the 2023 draft.   Doing so before then is just dumb as you are wasting cheap quality controlled years of a rookie contract which to me is the worst thing you can do.  It will give you less years as and put you right back into cap hell sooner.

I'll also go on record and say that if a QB needs to sit and learn behind someone else then he damn sure don't deserve to be a 1st round QB top 10 to 15 pick coming out.  If im taking a QB in the top 10 to 15 he will be talented enough to start year 1.

With the 8th pick im taking any of  Singley,  Davis,  Leal, Linderbaum, or Ojabo

Looking at Ryan's contract, there's an out after this year. I could see them waiting one more year though. But this team isn't built to win right now and they're just delaying the inevitable.

Also, I'm sure the Chiefs regret taking Mahomes top 10 and letting him sit a year. It also worked pretty well for Jim Kelly, Jim Harbaugh, Steve McNair, Daunte Culpepper, Carson Palmer, and Philip Rivers. I'm not saying that you have to do that to be successful. But we've also seen plenty of times where starting someone right away, without a good supporting cast or coaching, has failed miserably. But I'll keep your suggestions in mind if I do another one.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, NudeTayne said:

Browns fans ate generally pretty big fans of Jordan Davis being a great fit--need to stop the run and attract attention arrest from our ends. We need a receiver bad, but you have Wilson, probably the only guy we'd target over Davis, going early. In this scenario, assuming Clowney is re-signed, WR or RT are the picks in rounds 2/3. Nice mock.

I briefly looked at the Browns upcoming free agents and a lot are on the DL. I felt with WR you could wait a couple rounds since you still have Landry, DPJ, and Schwartz (I liked him last year).

5 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

They have an above average LT in Jonah Williams.  Most of the oline problems have been with the internal OL.

The Bengals were one team I had to look up. My thoughts on top 3 needs were OL, DB, TE. As far as Williams vs Petit-Frere, I say let them compete and move the loser to OG or maybe RT. Put your best 5 OL out there. There wasn't a DB or TE that I felt was close enough to BPA to take.

2 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Someone is trading up for Willis/Pickett/Ridder

Maybe. But I didn't want to project trades. I'd also guess that both NY teams would be open to trading one of their picks. I could see Philly doing the same to get even more picks in 2023. I think the top 2 picks are the only safe, no trade ones atm.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kingseanjohn said:

The Bengals were one team I had to look up. My thoughts on top 3 needs were OL, DB, TE. As far as Williams vs Petit-Frere, I say let them compete and move the loser to OG or maybe RT. Put your best 5 OL out there. There wasn't a DB or TE that I felt was close enough to BPA to take.

I doubt they view TE as a big need.  Cj Uzomah has been productive and isn't that expensive.  OT won't be a need if they bring back Riley Reiff, and even if they don't, they seem to like rookie OT D'Ante Smith, although i'm not sure if he'd be considered ready by next year.  I expect them to try to retain Reiff on a 1 or 2 year deal.  I'll never argue against getting more talent on the OL though.  S is only a need if they are dumb enough to not extend Jessie Bates.  CB is definitely a need, probably the #1 need on the team.