My Inaugural Mock Draft

kingseanjohn

1 hour ago, kingseanjohn said:

I briefly looked at the Browns upcoming free agents and a lot are on the DL. I felt with WR you could wait a couple rounds since you still have Landry, DPJ, and Schwartz (I liked him last year).

Landry will be cut in the off-season and really has been a bust the last few seasons, more of a #3 being paid as a #1. I liked Schwartz a lot coming out as well, but he's shown nothing thus far and may take another two seasons to develop. DPJ is really the only somewhat reliable receiver we have going forward. It could be argued our receiving core is the worst in the league.

That said, I'm still happy with Davis based on how the picks ahead of the Browns went. But yeah, we desperately need a receiver. We may even spend bigger money on a guy like Gallup in FA and also draft a guy on the first two rounds; the bed is that bad. We need to know what we have in Baker going into a crucial year.

Edited by NudeTayne

59 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

I doubt they view TE as a big need.  Cj Uzomah has been productive and isn't that expensive.

As of today, Drew Sample is the only TE under contract in 2022 (FA in 2023). I don't know what Uzomah's extension will cost, but getting someone else under a rookie contract wouldn't hurt.

Edited by kingseanjohn

21 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

The order is incorrect because as of 12/08 the jags have pick 2 due to the H2H tie breaker. 

Jags probably go Thibadeux at 2 to get a defense needing some blue chips besides Josh Allen and Myles Jack

Thanks. I got the order from another recently posted mock. If the Jags do have the 2nd overall pick, I agree that they'd go Thibadeaux.

9 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

Looking at Ryan's contract, there's an out after this year. I could see them waiting one more year though. But this team isn't built to win right now and they're just delaying the inevitable.

Also, I'm sure the Chiefs regret taking Mahomes top 10 and letting him sit a year. It also worked pretty well for Jim Kelly, Jim Harbaugh, Steve McNair, Daunte Culpepper, Carson Palmer, and Philip Rivers. I'm not saying that you have to do that to be successful. But we've also seen plenty of times where starting someone right away, without a good supporting cast or coaching, has failed miserably. But I'll keep your suggestions in mind if I do another one.

I'll also say everyone of those guys i think were talented enough to start year 1 no doubt in my mind they could have.   I'll also say that potential out their talking about with our cap space as it sits is no real out for us lol. 

Potential Out: 2022, 4 yr, $117,549,824; $40,525,000 dead cap   40+ million in dead cap space on top of our god awful cap space as it sits right now is not a legit out to me.  Thats eating 40 mil dead cap for only getting 8 mil back in cap.   Now 2023 were talking more like it the dead cap there is 15 million if we cut or trade him and thats way more manageable while also getting back 28 million in cap space.

That to me seems like a smart move to target a QB in the 2023 draft you can start fresh with while grabbing quality lineman and players this year to put around the guy you draft in 2023 to give him a better chance with a more talented roster.  Plus you can take that 28 mil in cap space in 2023 to add more players around him and STILL have 5 years on his rookie contract to keep your cap space lower and the window open longer. 

That and this years QB class isn't exactly thrillin as it sits imo i don't see any of them worthy of a top 10 pick over most other draft classes lately.  Not to say some of them won't be elite QB's in the end just more so saying coming out right now after seeing them in their college careers i wouldn't take any of them top 10.  I think Mac Jones is a better QB then any of the guys coming out this year and he went 15th lol.   Now with that said and to be fair i also think some guys this year are better than Trey Lance and he went 3rd so wtf do i know LOLOLOL. 

I guess in the end with the way the cap space is this day and age and the falcons already struggling with it i don't won't to eat that much dead cap in 2022 with Ryan till being a very good QB and eat into a rookies contract.  I would rather take one in a later draft to get the full 5 years from it and on ryans last contract year to give us the most cap space over the next 5 years to build a legit contender.

On 12/9/2021 at 2:49 PM, kingseanjohn said:

Looking at Ryan's contract, there's an out after this year. I could see them waiting one more year though. But this team isn't built to win right now and they're just delaying the inevitable.

Also, I'm sure the Chiefs regret taking Mahomes top 10 and letting him sit a year. It also worked pretty well for Jim Kelly, Jim Harbaugh, Steve McNair, Daunte Culpepper, Carson Palmer, and Philip Rivers. I'm not saying that you have to do that to be successful. But we've also seen plenty of times where starting someone right away, without a good supporting cast or coaching, has failed miserably. But I'll keep your suggestions in mind if I do another one.

Matt Corral isn't Pat Mahomes. He's closer to Baker Mayfield as a purgatory QB. None of the QBs in this draft are WORTH a top 10 pick, so why waste the pick on a guy HOPING that he pans out? Especially since the Falcons try to draft BPA (which in this case is CB Derek Stingley - a position they also need)

On 12/10/2021 at 5:05 PM, scar988 said:

Matt Corral isn't Pat Mahomes. He's closer to Baker Mayfield as a purgatory QB. None of the QBs in this draft are WORTH a top 10 pick, so why waste the pick on a guy HOPING that he pans out? Especially since the Falcons try to draft BPA (which in this case is CB Derek Stingley - a position they also need)

I'll gladly take me a Stingley in the top 10 if he's there.  Theirs probably only 4 or maybe 5 guys i take over him.   Hutch, Thibs, Neal, Hamilton, and maybe Davis although i think i take stingley over Davis right now but dang it's close to me with those 2.  

On 12/9/2021 at 11:06 PM, FalconFan13 said:

40+ million in dead cap space on top of our god awful cap space as it sits right now is not a legit out to me.

What if it comes with draft picks? One year of cap hell is worth a bounty of picks imo. Get you the ammo to trade up for that QBOTF if needed or stock the team with plenty of talent. I'm not sure what a team like the Broncos, Steelers, etc would give up for Ryan but it's worth considering.

On 12/10/2021 at 4:05 PM, scar988 said:

I didn't intend to compare Corral to Mahomes nor any other QB I listed. I'm just saying that because someone doesn't start day/year one, it doesn't mean they won't be good. Plenty of good QBs have sat a year or more. I'd also argue that you hope any draft pick pans out. Guarantees are rare.

On 12/12/2021 at 11:04 AM, SBLIII said:

WR is a need however not ahead of CB and LB for NE.

If someone like Jameson Williams drops maybe and it becomes too good to pass up like Ceedee Lamb but I don't see it for a guy like Tolbert.

Taking a peek at 2022, the Pats have 8 LBs under contract plus 1 more ERFA. They have 5 CB under contract. I imagine they bring back J.C. Jackson which would give them 6. They have 3 WR under contract plus 2 RFA.

You just drafted what looks like your next franchise QB. Put talent around him to help him succeed imo.

15 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

Taking a peek at 2022, the Pats have 8 LBs under contract plus 1 more ERFA. They have 5 CB under contract. I imagine they bring back J.C. Jackson which would give them 6. They have 3 WR under contract plus 2 RFA.

You just drafted what looks like your next franchise QB. Put talent around him to help him succeed imo.

WR is a waste of a asset in the 1st RD. WR are useless without QB and a OL. You win games in the trenches and defense. Brady for years played with " good WRs" and won. The only time you look at a WR or RB in the 1st is if you are loaded and need that one player over the top.

IMO you can get a effective skill player in the later RDS however its less likely you get dominate OL after round one.  I still believe that Harris was a foolish pick in the 1st RD. He will be dead after 4 years, Pats take Stevenson in the 4th RD.

You get the tree before the ornaments!!!! 😁

Also  Cee Dee ornament is pretty however they not sniffing the SB with that pick. Parson is a big tree!!!

NYG  Barkley or Nelson. Nelson every day, every year or a RB!!!

On 12/8/2021 at 9:53 PM, kingseanjohn said:

NEW ENGLAND: Jalen Tolbert, WR, South Alabama - May be early for Tolbert, but NE has few holes and WR is a huge need.

Never take a WR or RB in the 1st round waste of an asset.  MY pick : Derion Kendrick, CB, Georgia

Most important position on your team.

QB, LT, CB, Edge, DL,OL,LB, S WR and RB.

Fools draft RBs in the 1st RD.  Yes Sony was foolish so was Barkley.

Steelers Harris 1st, Pats Stevenson 4th RD.