Demaryius Thomas dead at 33.

broncosfan_101

2 hours ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Praying for the guy’s mom. Cost herself so much time with her boy and now her chance to make up for it is over. Devastating doesn’t begin to cover it. 

I was just thinking the same thing earlier. She made some terrible mistakes a long time ago, paid her debt to society and earned a second chance. I hope she has some loved ones looking after her right now. 

Heartbroken doesn’t begin to describe it. 

Almost 3 years ago, myself and some other community leaders in my hometown arranged a fundraiser for a woman in our community - an amazing person everyone knows - who was battling a rare form of cancer. One of our friends in town helps do marketing with the Broncos Alumni Association was able to get a bunch of Broncos to come. DT was one of them. He stayed for every picture, signed every autograph, took time with every single person there. (I had to miss it was my daughter was being born) but from what I heard he was by far the most gracious person there.

• Like 5

https://kdvr.com/sports/denver-broncos/demaryius-thomas-dead-at-33/ 

More details emerge...

-DT had been experiencing seizures for over a year, after being a car accident in 2019.

-It had been so bad that apparently DT was reluctant to travel.  

It makes all the charity work he kept doing even more impressive.     I will also say while I'm still sad at his passing, I'm almost relieved to hear there's another trigger for his seizure - otherwise, it wouldn't be hard to think CTE was at play.  It doesn't remove that possibility, but the accident's timing with his onset does fit completely.   Either way, still tragic.   If anything, though, it shows how great of a human being DT was, being so committed to community & charity work even after the bright lights faded.   Nothing but love & respect to 88.   

I only have 3 Broncos jerseys - vintage Elway Orange Crush, new uni Elway, and Orange 88.    I got the 88 jersey instead of 18 at my request (it was a present from my brother, he was at the NFL store at the DEN airport - back then ordering online wasn't really a thing lol).   I took it because DT was an original Bronco, and was the first guy that gave me hope post-McDaniels era we were headed in the right direction (remember, back then Von was suspended for his drug test antics).   Will be wearing it this Sunday when I watch the games, and I'll be tuning in early for our game with this news for the tribute & highlight reel, 1 more time DT, 1 more time...

Edited by Broncofan

• 6 months later...

Given that Demaryius died from an uncontrolled seizure this could develop into a much bigger story.   The car accident could have been the trigger but obviously football injuries will get pointed to as well.  

Crazy how little we see in the public eye given his struggles that come to light.  

Edited by Broncofan

On 7/5/2022 at 7:15 AM, Broncofan said:

Given that Demaryius died from an uncontrolled seizure this could develop into a much bigger story.   The car accident could have been the trigger but obviously football injuries will get pointed to as well.

Agreed. I'm not a doctor, but I don't see a scenario where CTE contributed 0% in his death. I also wonder if anything could have been done to prolong his life after these events.