BDL 2021 Quarterfinal Round - #7 Berlin Bltizkrieg @ #2 Anchorage Trappers

Whicker

Berlin Bltizkrieg @ Anchorage Trappers  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins?

• Berlin Blitzkrieg
    • Anchorage Trappers

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/16/2021 at 05:00 AM

Just now, rackcs said:

Looked at this matchup first earlier but saved it for last because I was so torn. I agree that the youth of Anchorage could bite them here but on the other hand, many of them are just playing at top level right now so even with some mistakes I still see them having plenty of success.

I think the key in this game will be the two offensive weapon groups vs the secondaries. Both offensive skill groups are talented and will do well but I actually prefer Anchorage's secondary to limit the Berlin group. So Anchorage in a very close matchup.

Thanks for voting 

I'm not going to be critical of Anchorage for these MNF covid-19 issues. Thomas is a good enough replacement for Havenstein and Higbee isn't a decisive player by any means. 

Berlin can do almost whatever they want with Rodgers and they'll have success. He's that good. I also like the ball control idea - I've made reference to it in the past but there's nobody like Rodgers in the league at spamming short passes and somehow moving the sticks with crap around him. I don't think there's going to be that success Berlin envisions with the young Anchorage corners biting too hard. They're ballers and if anything, Surtain has shown he's not the guy you want to be playing games with. I think Johnson and Surtain match up pretty well against the outside receivers of Berlin and should hold up fine in zone looks. In terms of the running game, Jones hasn't looked 100% for some time and I think that Anchorage front with Vea just swallows the run and makes Berlin pretty one dimensional. 

Funnily enough, I actually think Higbee's absence in some ways may help as I assume there's more Pitts in a traditional TE spot and Jones at WR. He's been good for a long time and will be able to find some softer spots which would inevitably open up in the middle of the field given Berlin's commitment to stopping both the run and deep ball (easier said than done). Then of course you lean into the fact Taylor is the best back in football right now not named Derrick Henry - you can stack that box but he'll find a way to succeed. I also think Chase and Smith, despite being rookies, are still difficult to account for. You can learn a lot of things with experience, but not speed and these two have bucketloads that stretch the field. Maybe Burrow doesn't connect that often with them down field, but he's shown he can with Chase and I'm sure he could with Devonta too - plus these guys are national championship winners - they're used to the spotlight.

It feels crazy to pick against Rodgers in this spot, but I do think Anchorage is well rounded enough to prevail. I kind of see the same motivational angle as Camden had where there's a lot of doubt if the young guys can do it against one of the GOATs, but I think they can especially because the game in Anchorage. Anchorage is pretty damn cold this time of year and I'll take the run game with the leading rusher in the league and MVP candidate vs. the one that has a hobbled guy in the backfield and is running at a Samoan brick wall.

Anchorage 19 - 17 Berlin

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, WFLukic said:

I'm not going to be critical of Anchorage for these MNF covid-19 issues. Thomas is a good enough replacement for Havenstein and Higbee isn't a decisive player by any means. 

Berlin can do almost whatever they want with Rodgers and they'll have success. He's that good. I also like the ball control idea - I've made reference to it in the past but there's nobody like Rodgers in the league at spamming short passes and somehow moving the sticks with crap around him. I don't think there's going to be that success Berlin envisions with the young Anchorage corners biting too hard. They're ballers and if anything, Surtain has shown he's not the guy you want to be playing games with. I think Johnson and Surtain match up pretty well against the outside receivers of Berlin and should hold up fine in zone looks. In terms of the running game, Jones hasn't looked 100% for some time and I think that Anchorage front with Vea just swallows the run and makes Berlin pretty one dimensional. 

Funnily enough, I actually think Higbee's absence in some ways may help as I assume there's more Pitts in a traditional TE spot and Jones at WR. He's been good for a long time and will be able to find some softer spots which would inevitably open up in the middle of the field given Berlin's commitment to stopping both the run and deep ball (easier said than done). Then of course you lean into the fact Taylor is the best back in football right now not named Derrick Henry - you can stack that box but he'll find a way to succeed. I also think Chase and Smith, despite being rookies, are still difficult to account for. You can learn a lot of things with experience, but not speed and these two have bucketloads that stretch the field. Maybe Burrow doesn't connect that often with them down field, but he's shown he can with Chase and I'm sure he could with Devonta too - plus these guys are national championship winners - they're used to the spotlight.

It feels crazy to pick against Rodgers in this spot, but I do think Anchorage is well rounded enough to prevail. I kind of see the same motivational angle as Camden had where there's a lot of doubt if the young guys can do it against one of the GOATs, but I think they can especially because the game in Anchorage. Anchorage is pretty damn cold this time of year and I'll take the run game with the leading rusher in the league and MVP candidate vs. the one that has a hobbled guy in the backfield and is running at a Samoan brick wall.

Anchorage 19 - 17 Berlin

Thanks for voting 

7 hours ago, Ragnarok said:

Rodgers has won many, many games spamming short routes.  One of his greatest abilities is knowing where to go with the ball immediately.  Also, CBs, especially young ones, will try to jump a route if possible.  

I think my OTs are better than his DEs, especially in the run game.  So I think they can seal the edges, especially with Henry blocking.

Anchorage is starting more rookies and 2nd year players than anyone.  

Hollywood has 70 catches for 866 yards and 6 TDs this year.  He has been excellent.

I also said I was putting Winfield in the box every play Taylor was in the game to aid against the run.

His stats make him look excellent. Look closer. He has been very inconsistent. Most of those statistics have been garnered in just a couple of games. There aren't many games this season where he has even scored. 

Furthermore, If you didn't think your team was better, why gameplan? I think your gameplan was good, I think you both did a good job. 

2 hours ago, wwhickok said:

His stats make him look excellent. Look closer. He has been very inconsistent. Most of those statistics have been garnered in just a couple of games. There aren't many games this season where he has even scored. 

Furthermore, If you didn't think your team was better, why gameplan? I think your gameplan was good, I think you both did a good job. 

No, he has been excellent.  His drop in stats the last 3-4 weeks have been the result of the gameplan and defenses putting safety help to his side a fair amount.  The Ravens, for some reason, have been using him much almost exclusively on underneath routes which is why his yards per catch has been down over these few weeks.

I dont get your second point...

And honestly ARob has checked out for the season.  Dude straight up doesn't care right now.

• 5 months later...