⏰ to completely clean house

RaidersAreOne

10 hours ago, OldManWillis said:

I would like to see the new head coach/gm build our Oline up to be a strength again. Would not be against drafting a few oline this draft if the right players are available. Also would like to keep Good and sign Scherff from WFT. We need some strong veteran leadership to help the young guys. Leatherwood and Simpson I would give a chance to develop and compete for starting spots. I would love to draft Linderbaum, but with James developing it may be unnecessary. 

Agreed with this sentiment. I would also like to see major infrastructure investments in the trenches. When you are strong on the offensive and defensive line it makes up for a lot of other inadequacies. The Browns and Colts are two teams that immediately come to mind on the offensive side of the ball. 

I really think Gruden was on to something with the “build a bully” mentality. It’s just too bad he made the wrong O-line investments to do it (Signing Trent Brown, drafting Brandon Parker over Orlando Brown, relying on a a broken down Incognito, etc.). 

With more and more teams building their defenses around stopping the pass, building a move the chains offensive bully that can control the clock and wear out defenses is a sound strategy. Especially when it comes to winning games in December and January. 

10 hours ago, OldManWillis said:

I would like to see the new head coach/gm build our Oline up to be a strength again. Would not be against drafting a few oline this draft if the right players are available. Also would like to keep Good and sign Scherff from WFT. We need some strong veteran leadership to help the young guys. Leatherwood and Simpson I would give a chance to develop and compete for starting spots. I would love to draft Linderbaum, but with James developing it may be unnecessary. 

You've just become my new favorite poster. lol

1 hour ago, jpaulthe1st said:

Agreed with this sentiment. I would also like to see major infrastructure investments in the trenches. When you are strong on the offensive and defensive line it makes up for a lot of other inadequacies. The Browns and Colts are two teams that immediately come to mind on the offensive side of the ball. 

I really think Gruden was on to something with the “build a bully” mentality. It’s just too bad he made the wrong O-line investments to do it (Signing Trent Brown, drafting Brandon Parker over Orlando Brown, relying on a a broken down Incognito, etc.). 

With more and more teams building their defenses around stopping the pass, building a move the chains offensive bully that can control the clock and wear out defenses is a sound strategy. Especially when it comes to winning games in December and January. 

I really think we can fix the O-line with 14 million. The Raiders can get 2 above average Gs.( I have faith that Leatherman develops next year) Then draft a DT in the first round.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

I really think we can fix the O-line with 14 million. The Raiders can get 2 above average Gs.( I have faith that Leatherman develops next year) Then draft a DT in the first round.

Based on what? Blind faith? The guy has regressed as the season has gone on. The same mistakes he was making early on, he's still doing them and not learning a damn thing. 

Chris Jones did the SAME move over and over on him and he had no answer for it. I wonder if he has the right mind for the NFL. He's a penalty machine who doesn't seem like anything is clicking with. 

Let him compete for a spot, but you can't hand him a starting job because the former front office drafted him 17 overall.

7 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Based on what? Blind faith? The guy has regressed as the season has gone on. The same mistakes he was making early on, he's still doing them and not learning a damn thing. 

Chris Jones did the SAME move over and over on him and he had no answer for it. I wonder if he has the right mind for the NFL. He's a penalty machine who doesn't seem like anything is clicking with. 

Let him compete for a spot, but you can't hand him a starting job because the former front office drafted him 17 overall.

Best part about a change of coaches is that all scholarships get revoked.  The coach will try to find where Leatherwood best helps the team and if it is the bench then that will be his spot.  If that is the case they would probably try to trade him for a 3rd.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

I think there's some reasons to be optimistic about Leatherwood long term, he may not have learned much but he's also being coached by Tom Cable so hopefully we hire an actual OL coach. 

Kolton Miller was probably the worst LT in the NFL as a rookie, IIRC he gave up the most sacks by a starting OT in NFL history that year and he's developed into an above average OT. I think he's probably better suited to be a guard but since we drafted him so early might as well give him another shot to compete to be a starting OT. 

As you said he's made the same mistakes throughout the season but those mistakes have been mental lapses. Dude is big, long, and athletic. He has the tools to be a good player he just has to put it all together. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Reminds me of when he said Damon Arnette was the highest rated player on their board. If Damon Arnette is the highest rated player on your board at that moment, you're inept and deserve to be fired in utter disgrace. 

He chose to bring back Carr and sign Witten over Tom Brady and Gronk.

We have to remember that with James playing well, Miller being a stud, Good coming back, and Leatherwood at the very least being able to play RG we only need one starter and depth on the line.  Benefit of Leatherwood on the team I believe he could be a good backup for Miller also and that LT is his best position.  We have Simpson but I would want more depth.  Only major issue I see is RT.  Hopefully Leatherwood can have the lightbulb turn on but if not I think he can be at least an average RG.  Depth is a definite need also but should not cost that much.

1 minute ago, drfrey13 said:

We have to remember that with James playing well, Miller being a stud, Good coming back, and Leatherwood at the very least being able to play RG we only need one starter and depth on the line.  Benefit of Leatherwood on the team I believe he could be a good backup for Miller also and that LT is his best position.  We have Simpson but I would want more depth.  Only major issue I see is RT.  Hopefully Leatherwood can have the lightbulb turn on but if not I think he can be at least an average RG.  Depth is a definite need also but should not cost that much.

E-XX6IEX0AUx1iy.jpg

• Like 1