⏰ to completely clean house

RaidersAreOne

I always thought and wanted Bradley to come back with the new coach but I’m positive he won’t at this point. I think you can say he’s done a decent job but the results have been declining every week. 

Think there is enough there to let him go as well. The thing for me is when the Raiders do get a team in a 2nd and long GB will play so soft he gives up those yards on second down to make the 3rd down manageable. Seen it happen a lot this season. With GB gone I would wonder if Abram would follow him and release him as well. I don’t think you can play Abram in any other defensive scheme. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

I always thought and wanted Bradley to come back with the new coach but I’m positive he won’t at this point. I think you can say he’s done a decent job but the results have been declining every week. 

Think there is enough there to let him go as well. The thing for me is when the Raiders do get a team in a 2nd and long GB will play so soft he gives up those yards on second down to make the 3rd down manageable. Seen it happen a lot this season. With GB gone I would wonder if Abram would follow him and release him as well. I don’t think you can play Abram in any other defensive scheme. 

Unless the new DC moves him to LB full time. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

1. Agreed. The defense has looked "better" at times, but the bar was exceptionally low.

2. Who cares if the numbers improved? The fact is our D is still terrible at situational football. Like you said, it's like every 2nd and long becomes an auto 3rd and manageable because of the Charmin Ultra coverage we go into. We can't stop anyone when it counts, guys are almost always laughably out of position, and our lack of adjustments, in-game and week to week, is comical at this point. 

3. I don't think Abram can play in any other scheme, period. Not as a SS. He's a box run stopping LB playing a coverage position. He's our "first round SS", and a few years in now, he's one of our weakest links by a mile against the pass. Yes, he tackles a lot, but we don't need a SS that gets a ton of tackles but can't even successfully cover a FB on a deep route. I'd keep him if we moved him to LB, but he's honestly probably not a better LB than most of the guys we have. 

1 minute ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Unless the new DC moves him to LB full time. 

Even then, would he even be worth keeping? 

I doubt he's a better LB than Littleton or Deablo or Morrow, and I expect us to bring in a couple more bodies.

If we move him to LB, he's not an automatic starter, and this could be my own bias, but he's still a dumb penalty and/or injury waiting to happen. I'd let him compete for a spot, but his scholarship is expired, imo. 

41 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Funny thing is, the guy nobody wanted, Joe Barry isn't doing well in Green Bay

I wanted to say a division with Goff led Lions, the Bears, and the ineptitude of Mike Zimmer and the Vikings IR squad helps but....

The truth is, Green Bay's D looks like they're really pretty good regardless of who they play. Very impressive job, indeed.

40 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

The truth is, Green Bay's D looks like they're really pretty good regardless of who they play. Very impressive job, indeed.

They've drafted well with guys like Kenny Clark, Rashan Gary, Jaire Alexander, Eric Strokes and Darnell Savage. And hit big on free agent signings like Preston Smith, De'Vondre Campbell, and Adrian Amos. 

10 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Kirk Cousins and Jimmy Garoppolo will both be free agents in 2023 as well though so I don't think there will be a huge market for Carr. Guys like Matt Stafford and Baker Mayfield could hit the market as well. Along with a few other journeymen types like Daniel Jones, Taylor Heinicke, and Sam Darnold. Not to mention the 2023 QB crop looks like it will be significantly better then the 2022 class. 

The only veteran QB's that actually started games this year and will be free agents this spring are Jameis Winston (ACL), Teddy Bridgewater, Tyrod Taylor, Cam Newton, Jacoby Brissett, and Andy Dalton. 

If we're going to move Carr I think this off-season is the time to do it. Wentz led the NFL in INT despite not even playing in the final 4 or 5 games and his contract was almost twice the size of Carrs, the Eagles still got a 1st round pick for him. I think it'd be much easier to sell Carr in an off-season with limited veteran QB on the market and a weak draft class versus next off-season when guys who are pretty similar to Carr in Jimmy G/Cousins will also be on the market. 

Thank you for bringing some clarity on a league wide scale. The combination of the questionable draft class at QB and ultra-thin FA class means Carr’s value will be extremely high this off-season. 

The bidding should start at 2 first rounders and I think the three big players will New Orleans, Pittsburgh, and Carolina. We may be able to fleece Carolina in the same way the Rams did the Lions if we are willing to take on Darnold’s contract. 

With that said, we have a long history of making poor personnel decisions so I fully expect a fully guaranteed 5 year extension at $35-40 million/year any day now. 

16 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Soooo bummed about Ruggs still. Dude was an important building block for the future. Rare ability that you can't find every day. He set this franchise back big time.

Crazy how much losing him impacted the offense 

5 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

I am against blowing things up for the sake of blowing things up. I think a decision has to be made on Carr early in the offseason (i.e. extension or trade).

I think the best trade the Raiders can make is to Carolina, who (1) are desperate, (2) will pick early in the first, and (3) have guaranteed money tied up in Darnold which the Raiders can absorb Osweiler-style. I think the Raiders could get the Panthers' first, Darnold, and a 2022 first or second. With that, I would probably want to take two position players in the first and maybe trade into the bottom of the first for a quarterback. It's not a great class, but I think Willis and Ridder and intriguing. 

It doesn't seem like a popular opinion right now but I am kind of in agreement with yourself and @Styrian Raider as I don't think we need to throw the baby out with the bath water. I don't think we need to rip everything down and start over. 

I can see the logic in trading Carr and though I do like Carr and think he's a good QB I'd be OK trading him so long as we did it with a well defined plan in mind and a long term strategy. With that said, and if we were ready to move on from Carr I'd like to see us use a bridge QB like Mariota for a year whilst we upgrade at OL and WR to allow whoever the new QBotTF is to start in a semi competent team not a total ground up rebuild like Carr started in. I think we're more likely to have success that way and ease the new guy in rather than get thrown to the wolves. Focus on improving OL and weapons in 2022 and get the rookie QB and some defensive help 2023.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Kirk Cousins and Jimmy Garoppolo will both be free agents in 2023 as well though so I don't think there will be a huge market for Carr. Guys like Matt Stafford and Baker Mayfield could hit the market as well. Along with a few other journeymen types like Daniel Jones, Taylor Heinicke, and Sam Darnold. Not to mention the 2023 QB crop looks like it will be significantly better then the 2022 class. 

The only veteran QB's that actually started games this year and will be free agents this spring are Jameis Winston (ACL), Teddy Bridgewater, Tyrod Taylor, Cam Newton, Jacoby Brissett, and Andy Dalton. 

If we're going to move Carr I think this off-season is the time to do it. Wentz led the NFL in INT despite not even playing in the final 4 or 5 games and his contract was almost twice the size of Carrs, the Eagles still got a 1st round pick for him. I think it'd be much easier to sell Carr in an off-season with limited veteran QB on the market and a weak draft class versus next off-season when guys who are pretty similar to Carr in Jimmy G/Cousins will also be on the market. 

this is a great point, after reading this i dont think a staff comes in and immediately replaces Carr. I dont see a staff coming in and tanking year 1, unless its another Gruden 10 year situation. 

1 minute ago, Geezy said:

this is a great point, after reading this i dont think a staff comes in and immediately replaces Carr. I dont see a staff coming in and tanking year 1, unless its another Gruden 10 year situation. 

If you have a good front office having more premium draft capital can accelerate a rebuild. We've seen new front offices/coaches take over in Detroit, New York, Philadelphia, and Arizona followed by those teams immediately trading away Stafford, Wentz, Darnold, and Rosen.