This Season May Be Horrible But Brad Holmes Had A Pretty Good First Draft

Just Want A Title

I have been watching the Lions most of the season and despite the fact that we are sitting on one win, I think Brad Holmes has done a pretty good job with his first draft.  The rundown:

1. Penei Sewell-He had some rough patches but is showing that he is exactly what the Lions thought he would be:  A strong, tough and skilled T with Pro Bowl Potential.  

2. Levi Onwurizeke-He has shown some flashes and has been solid in limited playing time but has been a little slow to develop.   I think the rust from his time off affected him way more than it did Penei Sewell

3.  Alim McNeil-Has been solid in the middle all season and is starting to become more disruptive.  He was a pretty big steal in the 3rd round.

4.  Ifeatu Melifonwul--He has good size and speed but hasn't been healthy.  Still when he has been on the field, he hasn't been a liability.  That is pretty good for a late 3rd round CB.

5. Amon Ra St, Brown--A lot of folks panned the Lions for waiting until Round 4 to pick a WR (me included) but he as produced some pretty solid numbers.  He may not be Ja'Marr Chase but he has good hands, runs good routes, can play in the slot or outside and has become a reliable chain-mover.  That is turning out to be a really good pick

6.  Derrick Barnes-He as been inconsistent in coverage but has made some really good plays in the run-game.  He is really starting to play better as the season goes on.  We are getting pretty good production from a 4th-round selection

7.  Jermar Jefferson-He has had solid production in limited playing time.  He shows good vision and power but has missed some time.  He is a soiid role player which is pretty good for 7th round selection

8.  Jerry Jacobs-He has played better than anyone could have expected for an UDFA that was pressed into the starting rotation.  He is great in run support and was showing good progress in coverage.  Tremendous value

9.  AJ Parker-Much like Jerry Jacobs, he has played better than anyone could have expected for an UDFA.  He played the slot CB pretty well before he went down.  Another great UDFA signing

10.  Bobby Price-He has been inconsistent but has given some fairly decent play despite being an UDFA pressed into a significant role very early.  Solid value.

11.  Godwin Igwebuike--Has had some struggles but considering he is an UDFA who converted from S to RB, he as given the Lions some solid play.  He has good speed, runs hard.  He has some significant upside.  He could turn out to be a really good player.  

Overall, I think Brad Holmes did a really good job with his first draft.  We are getting quality play from most of the guys we brought in.  If this group continues to grow, there could be a lot to look forward to over the next 2-3 years.  Thoughts?

• Like 2

Sewell was the highest rated OL per PFF this past week.  Good to see him getting things turned around and figuring it out.  

I agree on the rest.  I don't like what he did much with trades and free agency but I do like the draft.  Excited to see if he can pull something like this together again with 2 first round picks.  

The thing that I like is that none of the picks look like outright busts. Sewell looks like a stud, and guys like the two defensive tackles, Barnes, and St.-Brown are contributing in meaningful ways. For a team that's missing so many pieces that's a huge win. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, jrry32 said:

I'm also going to shout out Aubrey Pleasant. The Rams miss him. He's a stellar CB Coach.

Maybe this is premature but I have a feeling that Glenn and Pleasant will both wind up as HC's in the future. To do what they have done with the lack of talent is just remarkable in my opinion. 

• Like 2

Detroit Lions draft picks:

1. OT Penei Sewell- stud OT. Pro Bowler. Anchor for 10+ years. 

2. DT Levi Onwuzurike- I'm still not high on this pick. He's played good at times. But there was better talent we passed on. Especially JOK. UGH!!

3. NT Alim McNeill- Solid NT. He gets good push up the middle. Not a sexy pick but a damn solid one.

4. CB Ifeatu "Ify" Melifonwu- Has been well when healthy. IMO, Pleasant will have a field day next year with Ify, Amani and Okudah. 

5. WR Amon-Ra St. Brown- Amazing slot WR. Damn good pick in the 4th rd. A guy I wouldn't have minded with our late 3rd. 

6. LB Derrick Barnes- Has played much better recently. Still not thrilled about giving up a mid round pick this season to move up last season. But he's intriguing. 

7. RB Jermar Jefferson- He's played as a late 7th rd pick. Not more you can ask for here. He's just outmatched by guys in front of him.

UDFAs:

8. CB Jerry Jacobs- Unbelievable pick up. Was arguably our best DB for weeks before injury. I'm rooting for this kid to make his way back next season.

9. TE Brock Wright- Solid TE after cutting Darren Fells. Has stepped up the last couple weeks. 

10. CB A.J. Parker- Has played well in limited playing time.

11. OG Tommy Kraemer- Started at G for us this game and played extremely well. 

12. WR Javon McKinley- On IR but big body WR with huge potential

13. LB Tavante Beckett- Has been n the covid list and then practice squad.

Other rookies Holmes has picked up this season

14. K Riley Patterson- Picked him off the Patriots practice squad and has calmed our kicking game down.

15. TE Shane Zylstra- Picked him up and he got some playing time this game at TE with Hockenson out. 

16. S Brady Breeze- Claimed him off of waivers from Tennessee. Played his first career game against the Cardinals, got 3 tackles and played well. 

17. C Ryan McCollum- Started against Denver without Ragnow and Brown. 

18. LB Rashod Berry- played against Arizona

19. CB Mark Gilbert - played against Pittsburgh recorded 3 tackles and 1 FF

20. CB Shakur Brown- signed to practice squad. 

14 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

Detroit Lions draft picks:

1. OT Penei Sewell- stud OT. Pro Bowler. Anchor for 10+ years. 

2. DT Levi Onwuzurike- I'm still not high on this pick. He's played good at times. But there was better talent we passed on. Especially JOK. UGH!!

3. NT Alim McNeill- Solid NT. He gets good push up the middle. Not a sexy pick but a damn solid one.

4. CB Ifeatu "Ify" Melifonwu- Has been well when healthy. IMO, Pleasant will have a field day next year with Ify, Amani and Okudah. 

5. WR Amon-Ra St. Brown- Amazing slot WR. Damn good pick in the 4th rd. A guy I wouldn't have minded with our late 3rd. 

6. LB Derrick Barnes- Has played much better recently. Still not thrilled about giving up a mid round pick this season to move up last season. But he's intriguing. 

7. RB Jermar Jefferson- He's played as a late 7th rd pick. Not more you can ask for here. He's just outmatched by guys in front of him.

UDFAs:

8. CB Jerry Jacobs- Unbelievable pick up. Was arguably our best DB for weeks before injury. I'm rooting for this kid to make his way back next season.

9. TE Brock Wright- Solid TE after cutting Darren Fells. Has stepped up the last couple weeks. 

10. CB A.J. Parker- Has played well in limited playing time.

11. OG Tommy Kraemer- Started at G for us this game and played extremely well. 

12. WR Javon McKinley- On IR but big body WR with huge potential

13. LB Tavante Beckett- Has been n the covid list and then practice squad.

Other rookies Holmes has picked up this season

14. K Riley Patterson- Picked him off the Patriots practice squad and has calmed our kicking game down.

15. TE Shane Zylstra- Picked him up and he got some playing time this game at TE with Hockenson out. 

16. S Brady Breeze- Claimed him off of waivers from Tennessee. Played his first career game against the Cardinals, got 3 tackles and played well. 

17. C Ryan McCollum- Started against Denver without Ragnow and Brown. 

18. LB Rashod Berry- played against Arizona

19. CB Mark Gilbert - played against Pittsburgh recorded 3 tackles and 1 FF

20. CB Shakur Brown- signed to practice squad. 

Onwuzurike was the pick I like least of all as well.  I think he'll end up a starter next year so it's still not bad.  I think I mocked Patterson to us so it's nice he ended up on our team and has worked out so far.  I think this is a Good Draft.  If we can get a superstar or two next draft at premier positions like edge, we are set up to build this thing the right way.