Expectations for Deshaun Watson

ET80

Over the last two years, Deshaun Watson has been considered one of the most prolific college QBs in recent memory. The Houston Texans invested a 2018 1st round pick to select Watson this past draft. 

What should the expectations be for Watson with this current Texans roster?

22 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Over the last two years, Deshaun Watson has been considered one of the most prolific college QBs in recent memory. The Houston Texans invested a 2018 1st round pick to select Watson this past draft. 

What should the expectations be for Watson with this current Texans roster?

This year if/when he plays we really can't expect any more than a game manager. He'll make a few plays with his legs to get out of trouble, but I think they'll rely on the running game and getting the ball out quickly on timing routes or "throw em ups" to Hopkins in 1-on-1 situations.

Going forward the ideal would be Russell Wilson. Run when you have to and be smart with your body. I'm a little nervous about his accuracy, and I haven't hidden that I didn't like the pick or think he'll become the ideal, but it is still the ideal and my hope.

I feel like Watson doesn't have to be Wilson and that he can be more of a Tannehill/Taylor/Dalton/Alex Smith type QB for the Texans. 

I see the Texans as the best team built for a Super Bowl as long as their QB can manage a game and average 23 points a game.  Texans have arguably the best pass rush tandem in the NFL with Clowney and Watt.  Only thing I see slowing the Texans down this year is their safeties and QB play.  If both of those hold up, I think they could legitimately be Super Bowl contenders next year.  Only reason I say next year and not this year is because I don't see a rookie QB winning a Super Bowl no matter how good his defense is. 

I think Watson has the tools, both tangible and intangible to be a successful QB for this franchise. 

I think he couldn't ask for a much better situation to come into as a rookie should be have to start. 

All these guys coming out of college have rough edges and it will be up to BOB to manage that transition and also adapt his philosophy as and when appropriate.

Sounds like he did good again today. OB pressed him and sent in the first string defense while he played with the third string offense. He struggled some, obviously. Sounds like he tends to run when thing go awry. Hopefully he continues to work on that and improves. 

On 7/28/2017 at 8:06 PM, y2lamanaki said:

^Gotta be a great sign for you guys. 

Pancakes is basically the PR arm of the Texans, so I take what he says with a small grain of salt. But it is promising to say the least.

16 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Pancakes is basically the PR arm of the Texans, so I take what he says with a small grain of salt. But it is promising to say the least.

Which is ironic since Pancakes has everything with a whole pile of salt. 

• 2 weeks later...

Watson can be a great QB from his rookie season on. He has the "IT" factor that most dont have, he also has the "WOW" factor that most get caught up in. Its a great position to be in. He has all the tools and should be the starter week 1. I think that BOB will sit him for some unknown reason. I am convinced its dangerous to sit him for several reasons

1. It makes it harder to bring him in later on. I think Savage can be a serviceable QB. He knows the system, he doesnt take risks, and he can throw a very nice ball. He has Alex Smith written all over him. That makes it dangerous to start him, because he might not give any reason to take him out. The problem is that I believe Savage is the kind of QB that wont lose us any games. Watson is the kind of QB that will win us games. If Savage is a game manager all season and has a low turnover rate and the D carries us to the post season and maybe even a win or two, what do we do then next off season?

2. Watson is better equipped to play behind our below average line. He showed in the first pre season game that he can move well in the pocket and pick up yards with his feet. 

3. It causes further conflict when Watson takes over at some point in the near future. We all know Watson is the QB of the future. We gave up a lot to bring him in. We need to get him working with Hopkins and those guys right away. Its already taking a toll with Hopkins giving his support for Savage. 

Bottom line is that the whole QB comp has been handled wrong. Savage was declared the starter on draft night and has gotten all the first team reps. BOB has said that Watson will have a chance to win the job, but has he really been given a fair shake? 

On 8/12/2017 at 9:54 PM, mse326 said:

Can we quit this "it" factor narrative we give people. There is no such thing. You are either good or not. There's no amorphous "it"

I disagree, the "It" factor is what takes the talent and makes it something. Lots of guys have been talented and have sucked it up because they couldnt handle the pressure. Then there have been a lot of guys who have had good careers but haven't been able to get over the hump because they folded in clutch moments. 

Peyton Manning was an amazing HOF player, but i wouldn't say he had the "It" factor. He folded a lot in his career in big moments, especially early in his career. He went to 4 super bowls, and was beaten twice, and once he was carried by his D. 

there is no doubt he was superior in talent and ability to 99% of the QBs who have played the game, but he didnt have the "It" factor that allowed him to play and produce above and beyond his ability. 

Tom Brady has the "it" factor and has 5 super bowl rings. Brady didnt have the talent and ability of Manning, but he had the ability to play beyond his talent level and a calmness about him that transcended talent.

Brady got a lot better later in his career, but his early 3 rings were all about the "It" factor.  

Archived