Expectations for Deshaun Watson

ET80

1 hour ago, Pastor Dillon said:

I disagree, the "It" factor is what takes the talent and makes it something. Lots of guys have been talented and have sucked it up because they couldnt handle the pressure. Then there have been a lot of guys who have had good careers but haven't been able to get over the hump because they folded in clutch moments. 

Peyton Manning was an amazing HOF player, but i wouldn't say he had the "It" factor. He folded a lot in his career in big moments, especially early in his career. He went to 4 super bowls, and was beaten twice, and once he was carried by his D. 

there is no doubt he was superior in talent and ability to 99% of the QBs who have played the game, but he didnt have the "It" factor that allowed him to play and produce above and beyond his ability. 

Tom Brady has the "it" factor and has 5 super bowl rings. Brady didnt have the talent and ability of Manning, but he had the ability to play beyond his talent level and a calmness about him that transcended talent.

Brady got a lot better later in his career, but his early 3 rings were all about the "It" factor.  

So what they lack is the ability to stand up to pressure and/or control the emotions. That is an actual thing.

The "it" factor has always been descibed as some indescibable and uncalculable thing. That doesn't exist.

My expectations are that Watson is good enough that you guys have faith in him for 2018.  But bad enough that you don't win many games so that the Browns have a higher 1st round pick.  Oh yeah and second round pick.  Expectations and hopes are basically the same thing right?

3 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

#5 is my favorite. Asked differently - what has Savage done to earn the spot? Why would you want him to start at this point? 

I'm legitimately curious. 

Exactly, and who's to say they don't want DW to start. 

If we thought Savs was truly an answer why did we bring in a scrub like Ryan Mallet, or move up and give up a 1st to get DW. 

31 minutes ago, lumberjackchris said:

Exactly, and who's to say they don't want DW to start. 

If we thought Savs was truly an answer why did we bring in a scrub like Ryan Mallet, or move up and give up a 1st to get DW. 

We also subjected ourselves to the Tony Romo drama this entire offseason.

Greg Cosell us comparing this QB situation to Tennessee with Marcus Mariota and Zach Mettenberger. Not that DW is Mariota, but Savage as Mettenberger - big bodied, strong arm, been in the system for a while, makes some wow plays with his arm once in a while, looks like he MIGHT be able to develop.

But in reality, what has he done to EARN the spot, other than being hypothetically better than your last guy?

3 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

We also subjected ourselves to the Tony Romo drama this entire offseason.

Greg Cosell us comparing this QB situation to Tennessee with Marcus Mariota and Zach Mettenberger. Not that DW is Mariota, but Savage as Mettenberger - big bodied, strong arm, been in the system for a while, makes some wow plays with his arm once in a while, looks like he MIGHT be able to develop.

But in reality, what has he done to EARN the spot, other than being hypothetically better than your last guy?

Absolutely nothing. 

On top of that, what inkling gives you the thought that Savage can make it through a 4 month season healthy?

Watson is going to take sometime to develop. I think he can get enough success at this level that he maintains a strong work ethic (BoB mentions this often). I think he needs some years of refinement to become a pro passer. His running ability should get him by as a lower tier but legitimate starter. His development as a pocket passer, learning to win football games with his arm, and improving his arm strength all sound like traits that separate guys like Tannehill, Dalton, Alex Smith from the upper tier starters. The dual threat ability should help him significantly this year.

Archived