2018 NFL Free Agents Thread

DirtyJersey9er

4 minutes ago, Gravity said:

I feel the same, unless the plan was to trade up for Nelson if he gets close to our pick

Personally, that's what I'd do, but everything that I've seen this off-season seems to point otherwise from Shanny/Lynch. But who knows, could be part of the plan from the beginning. Just know it's going to be exciting (or frustrating).

13 hours ago, Forge said:

Oh, it was a pretty big overpay there. I was listening to a podcast, and they brought up an interesting point in that they thought that shanny and lunch get so fixated on who they want, that it's plan a b c and that we pay a premium when we don't have to. Basically saying that just because we value them more than the other teams at that level doesn't mean we have to pay that level. They equated it to seeing a 400k house, and being so in love with it that you offer 600k when you could overpaid 450k and gotten it. They thought that we did that with McKinnon, smith and juice check last year. I thought it was pretty interesting. Not right or wrong, but interesting

Yeah. I read another article listing the worst values so far in FA and they had McKinnon as second worst.  The scary thing is not only did they think we over-paid they had a whole list of his last and accomplishement and thought that he just wasn't all that good.

1 hour ago, the-catch said:

Find it strange the only iOL we looked at was Richburg. Considering we didn't even look at Pugh, Sitton, nor Norwell, makes me wonder if we're even considering Nelson if available. 

We do have Garnett coming back. Presumably they see him every day and maybe think there's more there than most of us do. Or, maybe they're rolling the dice and hoping to get Nelson and willing to take someone else if they don't. Who knows.  But a really good C should do wonders for our o-line - as long as they all stay healthy.

1 hour ago, Forge said:

I've begun to have my doubts that we are, even if he were to fall into our laps. 

I think this is going to be a defensive heavy first couple of rounds in this draft. 

Ha! I said almost the exact same thing in the other thread. 

This is starting to get weird now…………… lol 

14 hours ago, Forge said:

Oh, it was a pretty big overpay there. I was listening to a podcast, and they brought up an interesting point in that they thought that shanny and lunch get so fixated on who they want, that it's plan a b c and that we pay a premium when we don't have to. Basically saying that just because we value them more than the other teams at that level doesn't mean we have to pay that level. They equated it to seeing a 400k house, and being so in love with it that you offer 600k when you could overpaid 450k and gotten it. They thought that we did that with McKinnon, smith and juice check last year. I thought it was pretty interesting. Not right or wrong, but interesting

Last year I mentioned several times in game day threads how when we had 3rd or 4th and 1 Shanny rolled with some kind of tricky play rather just a FB lead up the middle.  I said that he always seemed to prefer to "out-think" the other side rather than just out-execute them. I wonder if what we paid of Juszczyk and McKinnon is a symptom of the same kind of thing.  He wants weapons that he can use in some sort of creative way.  Great! And he's good at it. But we probably did over-pay for both of those guys and I wonder if his desire to have guys that he can use to "out-think" the other guys is a flaw of sorts with him.

15 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

This is true too. It could have been a perfect storm of losing Fusco, guys not wanting to come here, the 49ers not being interested, or losing out on a bidding war even though there weren't any reports of being connected to any notable names. I would just hate to think that they felt Richburg was the answer to the offensive line's problems along the interior. Guess it's up to a couple of rookies now.

Its not up to a couple of rookies. They have Garnett coming back, who they've seen for a whole year now so if they felt they needed to upgrade from him, they could have but didnt. They have Magnusson who they obviously liked as a rookie and could very well build on his rookie campaign. So its not like they dont have guys who they could very well be high enough on to not consider the position as in dire straits as most.

8 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Its not up to a couple of rookies. They have Garnett coming back, who they've seen for a whole year now so if they felt they needed to upgrade from him, they could have but didnt. They have Magnusson who they obviously liked as a rookie and could very well build on his rookie campaign. So its not like they dont have guys who they could very well be high enough on to not consider the position as in dire straits as most.

Magnuson looke pretty bad playing OT, but I think he can be an OK G, maybe even C. With Kilgore and Fusco gone maybe he becomes our primary G/C backup.  It's an added bonus that he can play OT in an emergency. Even if he's not a good tackly it is possible that we could have two OTs injured in the same game and someone will have to fill in. If he develops some he could be an improved version of the all-purpose Mr. Beadles.

11 hours ago, big9erfan said:

Yeah. I read another article listing the worst values so far in FA and they had McKinnon as second worst.  The scary thing is not only did they think we over-paid they had a whole list of his last and accomplishement and thought that he just wasn't all that good.

Honestly this was my initial take on it too. I don't think he's a very good running back. A couple of years ago when Peterson went down they handed him the starting role. He lost his job to asiata if I remember correctly. Then the Vikings prioritized getting a running back by getting latavious Murray and drafting dalvin cook at the top of the second round. Cook was the unquestioned starter and work horse from day one. Then cook tears his ACL, McKinnon takes over and has some nice games with some explosive plays. Then as the weeks go on Murray starts eating into his work load until he's getting the majority of the snaps. It's not like Murray is a very good player in his own right either. 

I don't doubt that he will put up some nice numbers in this offense. I said earlier he will be great on screens, especially because he is a good pass blocker. Shanahan said you could also split him out or put him at TE, which is interesting. He certainly has the quickness and top end speed to really hit some home runs when he gets into space, and I have confidence in Kyle to put him in the right spot. So I don't completely hate it simply because I have so much faith in Kyle and his system, but it's not a move I would have made. 

I will say that it gives us more flexibility in the draft, because we won't absolutely have to draft someone in the first three rounds. The way the deal is structured, if it doesn't work out or if we draft someone we like better, we can easily get out of it after one year. So from that standpoint it makes a lot of sense, but I'm not convinced he's anything more than a 3rd down back. 

6 hours ago, N4L said:

The way the deal is structured, if it doesn't work out or if we draft someone we like better, we can easily get out of it after one year.

That's the way I see it. We're paying him too much just so we can get out of the deal after this year, if we want. If we had wanted to pay him less, we probably would have had to guarantee him more long term. It's a theme of a lot of our deals. We pay a lot, but we can get out of it without too much dead money. We're taking full advantage of having cap space now, without mortgaging the future.

1 hour ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

Who are you guys interested in for the second wave of FA? I wouldn’t mind kicking the tires on EJ Gaines.

Jordan Matthews, Breshaud Breeland (depending on his physical). Really wouldn't mind us adding at least one other W/M LBer and maybe a SAM too. 

10 hours ago, John232 said:

Jordan Matthews, Breshaud Breeland (depending on his physical). Really wouldn't mind us adding at least one other W/M LBer and maybe a SAM too. 

I don't think we'll add a SAM at this point, except at the draft, if one makes sense. I don't know what the coaches' plan is, but I feel between Jeremiah Sneeze, Cassius Marsh and Eli, we have three guys competing for playing time potentially at both Leo and Sam. They say they want to see what Harold has at Leo, but I doubt he has anything really. I hope that's where we draft a rookie, first and foremost, and Eli would be bumped off the roster. 

35 minutes ago, Pandomonium said:

let's have a look at Hurns

As long as it wouldn't be a big contract, I'd be interested in this. He has a good size to him. Just can't stay healthy the last two years, and they wouldn't have been great ones either way. 

On 3/21/2018 at 9:21 AM, y2lamanaki said:

As long as it wouldn't be a big contract, I'd be interested in this. He has a good size to him. Just can't stay healthy the last two years, and they wouldn't have been great ones either way. 

well he just signed with the cowgirls....nevermind

Archived