2018 NFL Free Agents Thread

DirtyJersey9er

2 hours ago, the-catch said:

Not interested in Ansah/Pugh (too injury prone) nor Robinson (think our receivers are fine). Only one I'm really interested in is Norwell... and I'd still draft Nelson in my ideal scenario. 

See, I wouldn't like that scenario. I think if we draft Norwell, it allows us to fill another need with our 1st pick. Nelson is great and in terms of BPA he could be the guy, but we also have Garnett returning and could re-sign Fusco for another year or two. Paying top bucks for Norwell and then spending two first rounders in a three year span at guard is a bit too much. If anything, I wouldn't mind taking one of the tackle prospects to prepare for either Staley's retirement in a few years or Brown's departure if we don't want to commit to him long term. 

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

See, I wouldn't like that scenario. I think if we draft Norwell, it allows us to fill another need with our 1st pick. Nelson is great and in terms of BPA he could be the guy, but we also have Garnett returning and could re-sign Fusco for another year or two. Paying top bucks for Norwell and then spending two first rounders in a three year span at guard is a bit too much. If anything, I wouldn't mind taking one of the tackle prospects to prepare for either Staley's retirement in a few years or Brown's departure if we don't want to commit to him long term. 

Agreed. Tomlinson is still under contract this year too (I'm assuming Zane is cut). He's fine as a backup. If we are intent on giving Garnett a shot at one guard spot then we really just need one guard and a center. 

13 hours ago, big9erfan said:

I know he said a deal just like Zeitler.  So maybe I mis-remembered and it was 12 a year for 5 years instead of for 4. I'd be surprised if he got a bigger deal  bigger than Zeitler, at least not by much.  Maybe an extra million a year making it 13/65. That sounds reasonable.  Are you interested at that price?

It's steep, I have no issues with it though. I feel it's somewhat safe, which is something that worries me with guys like Pugh. 

4 hours ago, y2lamanaki said:

I'm interested in any of them at those prices, I just think it's wishful thinking to get the three top free agents at three separate positions. I think you might see one of them. 

Couldn't agree more. I think we will do one big money FA, and I think it's going to be a corner to be honest. If we sign 2, then maybe norwell will be the other, but I think corner is where we are looking first

4 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Garnett wasn't a Lynch/KS pick, so it makes it a little easier to move on from. Considering our needs, spending premium resources on 2 guards won't be popular but I think we have to go after a Norwell in FA at the very least. As far as Nelson, he's the only upper tier player that might fall to us, and I think the upgrade over our current guards would be greater than any DL/CB available over our current DL/CBs. Basically BPA who would give us the best overall upgrade vs trying to force fit a need.

Admittedly, part of that is that I'm not a fan of the CBs/DLs that are projected to be available at our slot, and the more it plays out Nelson seems less and less likely to be there too. So it may be a moot point. 

29 minutes ago, the-catch said:

Garnett wasn't a Lynch/KS pick, so it makes it a little easier to move on from. Considering our needs, spending premium resources on 2 guards won't be popular but I think we have to go after a Norwell in FA at the very least. As far as Nelson, he's the only upper tier player that might fall to us, and I think the upgrade over our current guards would be greater than any DL/CB available over our current DL/CBs. Basically BPA who would give us the best overall upgrade vs trying to force fit a need.

Admittedly, part of that is that I'm not a fan of the CBs/DLs that are projected to be available at our slot, and the more it plays out Nelson seems less and less likely to be there too. So it may be a moot point. 

He may not have been picked by Lynch but he raved about Garnett during the season and how he took this year to transform his body to fit with the zone-blocking scheme. It was pretty clear he had high hopes for Garnett for 2018 and I think anyone thinking they(Lynch and Shanny) arent counting on Garnett being healthy and ready to lock down one of the guard spots is just being naive. Not saying they wont hedge their bets and add competition but I think they look at Garnett as most of us look at Malcolm Smith...a starter who was lost for the year and who's return should only strengthen the position and allows to fill other needs in 2018.

7 hours ago, Forge said:

Couldn't agree more. I think we will do one big money FA, and I think it's going to be a corner to be honest. If we sign 2, then maybe norwell will be the other, but I think corner is where we are looking first

I definitely agree, especially with the charges against Foster. We’ll more than likely sign a big time corner and then draft either Edmunds or Smith in the first. 

1 minute ago, PapaShogun said:

Maybe Avery Williamson from the Titans. He'll be an UFA, is only 25, and is coming off a pretty good season according to PFF with an 85.6 grade. He's only missed one game the last three seasons as a Titan. 

Yeah, if he left he'd be my number one target. But he probably gets brought back. Zach Brown I think has some bagge too. Hitchens would probably be my number 2 (for a MIKE)

Redskins' fans describe Zach Brown as having great range, good blitz ability, but potato awareness. FWTW

I'd love to see a strong push for Nigel Bradham, if he gets free. He always impresses me when I watch Iggles' games. 

3 hours ago, oldman9er said:

Redskins' fans describe Zach Brown as having great range, good blitz ability, but potato awareness. FWTW

I'd love to see a strong push for Nigel Bradham, if he gets free. He always impresses me when I watch Iggles' games. 

Agree with this. Bradham would easily be my number one. Brown can be fine  for what he is. 

The Sacramento Bee's Matt Barrows reports the 49ers have discussed an extension with impending free agent C Daniel Kilgore.

The 49ers locked up Jimmy Garoppolo and DE Cassius Marsh last week, but they still have work to do before free agency opens with Kilgore apparently near the top of the list. The center held his own over 16 starts in 2017.

Archived