2018 NFL Free Agents Thread

DirtyJersey9er

4 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

The Sacramento Bee's Matt Barrows reports the 49ers have discussed an extension with impending free agent C Daniel Kilgore.

The 49ers locked up Jimmy Garoppolo and DE Cassius Marsh last week, but they still have work to do before free agency opens with Kilgore apparently near the top of the list. The center held his own over 16 starts in 2017.

I knew he was going to come back. Awesome. Excited for the many years of subpar center play to come. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Pretty sure that he is, to be honest. You're basically hoping that he would be able to slide to MIKE, which is a complete unknown. 

I mean, if we get Bradham, lets just move Malcom Smith to the MIKE. He's going to suck either way. 

9 minutes ago, Forge said:

Pretty sure that he is, to be honest. You're basically hoping that he would be able to slide to MIKE, which is a complete unknown. 

Not an expert on him, but when I see him doing work, he is mean and aggressive. Has plenty of physicality for either role, imho.

On 2/11/2018 at 9:25 AM, J-ALL-DAY said:

See, I wouldn't like that scenario. I think if we draft Norwell, it allows us to fill another need with our 1st pick. Nelson is great and in terms of BPA he could be the guy, but we also have Garnett returning and could re-sign Fusco for another year or two. Paying top bucks for Norwell and then spending two first rounders in a three year span at guard is a bit too much. If anything, I wouldn't mind taking one of the tackle prospects to prepare for either Staley's retirement in a few years or Brown's departure if we don't want to commit to him long term. 

I did a mock a week or so ago and had an OT with one of our high thirds. I really think we should worry some about this spot.  Last year when Brown got hurt it was Beadles or Magnuson playing, and they were both very bad, Plus there's no guarrantee we re-sign Brown who's a FA next year. I have OT relatively high up on my list of needs.

On 2/11/2018 at 10:56 AM, Forge said:

Couldn't agree more. I think we will do one big money FA, and I think it's going to be a corner to be honest. If we sign 2, then maybe norwell will be the other, but I think corner is where we are looking first

I think the position that makes improves our team the most is pass rusher,  Probably after that it would be CB because most of our CBs stink. But if we fail to get to the QB he simply has an easy time throwing the ball, if we fail to cover a guy the worst that happens is he catches the ball - maybe even scores a TD. But if a G fails to block for Jimmy the worst that happens is that he gets hurt badly enough to be out for the year. I just think that for the overall good of the team, over time, the best thing we could spend money on is a good pass blocker in the middle. Of course better pass blocking will help our pass game, and better run blocking will help our running game. But reducing hits on Jimmy is the most important thing for me.  His lightning quick release kept him from getting sacked a number of times last year, but it didn't keep him from being hit hard far too many times.

11 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

Makes sense given our struggles there. Still, when he came out, I thought he was going to convert to safety. He did have one really good year at corner, but this is kind of par for the course for him. He'll flash brilliance, then come back to what he actually is. He did the same thing in college - had a monster year, then was god awful terrible his last year. 

3 hours ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

The Sacramento Bee's Matt Barrows reports the 49ers have discussed an extension with impending free agent C Daniel Kilgore.

The 49ers locked up Jimmy Garoppolo and DE Cassius Marsh last week, but they still have work to do before free agency opens with Kilgore apparently near the top of the list. The center held his own over 16 starts in 2017.

I have no problem with this depending on the length and money involved. Hopefully its like 2 years 6-7 million. 

It will be an open competition in camp. If Kilgore wins the job, then great he was the best guy on our roster, if not then we have a veteran guy on the bench. I also like the idea of having a veteran C paired with two young guards (nelson, garnet).

I don't think there are any quality veteran Cs available through FA, so it was either sign Kilgore or some other veteran, or draft a center in the first three-four rounds. We need so much help in other areas that I'm fine with spending resources on other spots and then drafting a C in the 6th to try and develop for a year or two. 

I wonder where Eric Reid falls in the FA pecking order? I would think with Foster being unreliable, that we would want someone who could play LB at a high level, who is familiar with the defense, who can play either S spot, and is a strong leader for a young defense. Lynch, get this thing done. 

5 minutes ago, N4L said:

I have no problem with this depending on the length and money involved. Hopefully its like 2 years 6-7 million. 

It will be an open competition in camp. If Kilgore wins the job, then great he was the best guy on our roster, if not then we have a veteran guy on the bench. I also like the idea of having a veteran C paired with two young guards (nelson, garnet).

I don't think there are any quality veteran Cs available through FA, so it was either sign Kilgore or some other veteran, or draft a center in the first three-four rounds. We need so much help in other areas that I'm fine with spending resources on other spots and then drafting a C in the 6th to try and develop for a year or two. 

I wonder where Eric Reid falls in the FA pecking order? I would think with Foster being unreliable, that we would want someone who could play LB at a high level, who is familiar with the defense, who can play either S spot, and is a strong leader for a young defense. Lynch, get this thing done. 

I agree with this we should at less franchise Reid.

2 minutes ago, N4L said:

Richburg (though injuries play a major role with him, and he's very risky) and Jensen are both far better than Kilgore. Jensen would have been the best get, but to be honest, he's a largely above average center with one real year of quality play (this was his first year starting) and he's going to get paaaaaaaaaaaid in my opinion. My issue with re-signing Kilgore now is that we aren't going to look at quality players to actually challenge him for the spot. He's not a good center...we could wait and see what the market is for other guys like Jensen before making the decision. Remember, we have Magnunson on the roster too, who took most of his practice reps at center during the preseason and training camp. Given that he also plays guard and actually managed to play tackle in a pinch, he has a leg up to be the likely backup center, so I wouldn't be surprised at all if we eschew the center position all together after signing Kilgore unless it happens to be a guard who's drafted that also plays center. 

2 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

I agree with this we should at less franchise Reid.

Definitely not. That's 11 million dollars. 

We are committed to having Ward at safety. That means he and Tartt (who appears to have the favor of the staff) are the starting safeties. On passing downs, we can slide Tartt down to the hybrid LB role like Reid would have done, and then play Ward and Colbert on the back end. There's no room for Reid, and definitely not at 11 million dollars. 

10 minutes ago, N4L said:

I don't think he's any sort of priority. There's just no need and far more pressing matters on the team. The only way he's back here in my opinion is if he has absolutely no market and ends up back here at like 1 year 4 million. To me, he has Seattle written all over him. Kam is probably going to retire, they don't have issues with the protest thing, and they're probably going to get him on a nice deal given that some teams are not going to have him on their board. A team like Houston, which could really use a safety, is probably going to take themselves out of the running given the owner's political leanings. 

Archived