2018 NFL Free Agents Thread

DirtyJersey9er

1 hour ago, Forge said:

The California taxes thing is so overblown by people sometimes (in this case, Dianna Russini). When have the 49ers ever had trouble attracting free agents? What about the SF Giants? The Dodgers seem to have no issues with it either. I don't know of anyone who would mind paying the extra taxes if they can live in San Diego (and actually afford to live there in supreme comfort). 

Overblown? The top tax rate in CA is 13.3%. For Washington, Texas and FLorida it's zero. Tennessee has none on earned income. Many other states having NFL franchises are much lower.  There's a HUGE difference if you're talking about a salary of tens of millions of dollars. 

13 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

Overblown? The top tax rate in CA is 13.3%. For Washington, Texas and FLorida it's zero. Tennessee has none on earned income. Many other states having NFL franchises are much lower.  There's a HUGE difference if you're talking about a salary of tens of millions of dollars. 

Thats great and all, except you're arguing something that I'm not talking about. 

12 hours ago, big9erfan said:

I'm not sure about all these things, because I think I read about that in regard to hockey contracts, but aren't professional athletes paying taxes in the states they play games in. For example, when a california-based team plays in another state, the prorated money earned for that specific game (I don't know how that's supposed to work, by the way) is to be taxed in that state. Sure, the niners play more games in california than a florida based team (a minimum of 9 games a year), but it's not 13.3% for the entirety of their salary, I would think. Also, I'm sure they all have very skilled accountants who get them all the deductions they can possibly get.

And honestly, 13.3% is nothing... here in Québec, it's around 48%, with a sales tax on products and services around 15%. I really live in hell on earth...

14 hours ago, John232 said:

What are the odds Lamarcus Joyner hits Free Agency? I know we have Colbert, but his sample size is small...if we declined Ward's option and put that money towards Joyner...

Not a huge need, but outside of Demarcus Lawrence and Andrew Norwell, he's probably the best UFA. 

According to sportac.com, rams have 45 mill in cap room. So I guess chances are low?

^ can't see a high chance at all that Joyner escapes LAR. 

He had what most perceive as a top 3 season at S. If the going rate for a top 5 safety is avr 10-12 mil per yr? guess the LAR would use the F-tag on him, if necessary. (which I think would be 9-10 mil)

Out of their big 3, I'd guess they push hardest for Joyner and Trumaine J... and let Sammy Watkins walk. Who knows, though... 

6 hours ago, rudyZ said:

I'm not sure about all these things, because I think I read about that in regard to hockey contracts, but aren't professional athletes paying taxes in the states they play games in. For example, when a california-based team plays in another state, the prorated money earned for that specific game (I don't know how that's supposed to work, by the way) is to be taxed in that state. Sure, the niners play more games in california than a florida based team (a minimum of 9 games a year), but it's not 13.3% for the entirety of their salary, I would think. Also, I'm sure they all have very skilled accountants who get them all the deductions they can possibly get.

And honestly, 13.3% is nothing... here in Québec, it's around 48%, with a sales tax on products and services around 15%. I really live in hell on earth...

The 13.3% is just state income tax. There is also federal income tax. Combined in California they used to equate to about 50% because the state income tax was deductable against your income and would lower the amount of federal taxes you had to pay, however the tax law has changed to not allow any deduction so now the effective rate is 52.9%. This is a big deal. 

Howmuch it changes whether or not they sign with a California team is case by case. I do know that Kevin Durant and Andre igudala both make a killing investing in silicon valley, opportunities they wouldn't necessarily have somewhere else. So maybe that's part of the pitch.

7 hours ago, rudyZ said:

Whoa! Is that 48% a provincial tax on top of a Canadian nattional tax?

10 minutes ago, N4L said:

The 13.3% is just state income tax. There is also federal income tax. Combined in California they used to equate to about 50% because the state income tax was deductable against your income and would lower the amount of federal taxes you had to pay, however the tax law has changed to not allow any deduction so now the effective rate is 52.9%. This is a big deal. 

Howmuch it changes whether or not they sign with a California team is case by case. I do know that Kevin Durant and Andre igudala both make a killing investing in silicon valley, opportunities they wouldn't necessarily have somewhere else. So maybe that's part of the pitch.

It should be noted that Bonus income is charged on the basis of the state that they live in, not necessarily California. So if your primary home is in F/lorida, and you get a huge signing bonus, that bonus isn't taxed as Florida does not have a state income tax. 

5 hours ago, big9erfan said:

Whoa! Is that 48% a provincial tax on top of a Canadian nattional tax?

No, that's total. And an approximation.

52.9% is becoming insane. But still, I'm sure they can manage to not pay that much still. Always trust accountants to find ways.

41 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

That's okay, I want Nelson. Let's focus on pass rush and pass defense in FA.

Ehh i think we should cover all bases regardless of draft in free agency. not saying go offer every position a high paying contract but find a guy for every need so that when we go into the draft we aren't stuck drafting by need. 

1 hour ago, Chrissooner49er said:

That's okay, I want Nelson. Let's focus on pass rush and pass defense in FA.

Me too, I don't see us getting him without a trade up. Hoping that Cousins goes to Minny so that all of the others take quarterback lol

Archived