2018 NFL Free Agents Thread

DirtyJersey9er

9 minutes ago, DirtyJersey9er said:

So Pugh will be available then.

Yeah, I just wish he could stay healthy. He won't cost as much as Norwell though, so that's a good thing. 

Technically, they could make some moves to clear more than enough space for both. If they are set on taking a rookie quarterback and dumping eli, they could designate him a post june 1 cut and save 16 million (otherwise they save about 10). I expect DRC to be cut, that saves another 6 million and Brandon Marshall looked done last year, so no way he's back, that's another 5 million. An extension on Odell could save them money on the cap this year, though it's nominal. 

If they can get Pugh re-signed before FA starts, they could theoretically land both of them. 

1 hour ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Yes, but FA doesn't start until March 6, I believe. Otherwise it's tampering. No thanks.

We actually can't contact free agents until March 12th. Can't officially sign them until March 14th. The wait is even longer than you thought :(

6 minutes ago, DirtyJersey9er said:

You can agree before putting pen to ink.

And I like Pugh because he can play tackle too.

This is exactly why I had him as one of two FA moves (worth noting) in my mock. If Staley or Brown gets hurt we have nothing behind them. I want Pugh as a G. But it's always nice to have some versatility in case of an emergency ... and having to play Beadles or Magnuson at tackle constitutes an emergency in my mind.

11 minutes ago, DirtyJersey9er said:

You can agree before putting pen to ink.

And I like Pugh because he can play tackle too.

Only during the legalized tampering period which starts on March 12th. If you even talk before then and it's found out, you're getting punished. Remember Lance Briggs?  The only ones who can talk right now are pending free agents with their own team. 

5 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

This is exactly why I had him as one of two FA moves (worth noting) in my mock. If Staley or Brown gets hurt we have nothing behind them. I want Pugh as a G. But it's always nice to have some versatility in case of an emergency ... and having to play Beadles or Magnuson at tackle constitutes an emergency in my mind.

I think Pugh is 3/4 on my wish list. I'd probably go, Norwell / Nelson before Pugh, but then a toss up between Wynn and Pugh after that (but Wynn would also be dependent on a trade down from our #1, or a trade up from our #2). Pugh is a great fit for scheme, though the injuries worry me. Always banged up it seems like. He'll be a little cheaper than Norwell, and is more of a known quantity than Wynn and Nelson, so that's nice. Definitely wouldn't mind if we landed him (I'm going to try and sign him for us in the Total Control Mock) 

2 hours ago, Forge said:

I think Pugh is 3/4 on my wish list. I'd probably go, Norwell / Nelson before Pugh, but then a toss up between Wynn and Pugh after that (but Wynn would also be dependent on a trade down from our #1, or a trade up from our #2). Pugh is a great fit for scheme, though the injuries worry me. Always banged up it seems like. He'll be a little cheaper than Norwell, and is more of a known quantity than Wynn and Nelson, so that's nice. Definitely wouldn't mind if we landed him (I'm going to try and sign him for us in the Total Control Mock) 

I' kind of agree with your ranking. But  I don't think Nelson will be there for us, and do think Norwell will be right in the range of record high money for a G and I'd prefer to save some for other positions. So that leaves Pugh or a guy we draft.  I'm not seeing a guy worth taking at 9/10 other than Nelson and don't know who we'd be able to get down near the bottom of the second. So I'd like to lock up Pugh in the FA period and then concentrate on other positions in the draft.

15 hours ago, Forge said:

Only during the legalized tampering period which starts on March 12th. If you even talk before then and it's found out, you're getting punished. Remember Lance Briggs?  The only ones who can talk right now are pending free agents with their own team. 

Even before legalized tampering teams always did it.  Which is what annoyed me about the Lance Briggs situation.  Maybe Briggs got too public but that was at the start of the boom of social media so maybe that's what hurt.

Archived