2018 NFL Free Agents Thread

DirtyJersey9er

3 hours ago, the-catch said:

No way we're landing three major FAs. I'm hoping at least one, Norwell's at the top followed by Trumaine Johnson. (Bell isn't leaving neither) Too many teams with too good of cap space. 

I was hoping for Ansah and Pugh but would also be really thrilled with Johnson and Norwell.

4 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

I think our best hope now has to be in-house: perhaps a combo of Thomas/Marsh improving and/or Armstead actually able to stay off the IR and show talent. We already know Buckner is a beast, we just need these and others to step up.

I don't see any rookie pass rusher doing a lot for us. It's a weak position in this draft. Yuck. Even the guys I like (such as Hercules, Obo) I don't expect much from.

The chances we get a pure Leo seem slim. But I'd love a guy like Okoronkwo who could play Sam and then rotate at Leo when the Sam is off the field. I'd love someone faster and Okoronkwo looks explosive. I just don't see him as a 3 down DE, but I like his pass rushing potential. And he seems to be decent enough in space to be an effective LB.

Looking at the FA CBs, really a nice time for CB needy teams. I hope we come away with a CB or two, and still draft one lol.

Some value corners we may be able to snag are: Breeland/Claiborne/Gaines/Amukamara/Robey-Coleman. 

7 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

Here is PFF's free agency preview for the 49ers. Mostly potential scenarios that everyone can already surmise. 

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-2018-free-agency-preview-san-francisco-49ers

That's a pretty spot on assessment. I think we should re-sign Fusco, even if there's a solid chance he's only a back-up. That would be a best case scenario. It would mean someone like Garnett or a rookie is better than an already solid guard. It can only be a good thing. Signing a top FA G will depend on what we plan to do in the draft. If the staff feels Sitton or whoever hits FA can be a very good player, then it only allows to address other roster issues with the draft, or to simply pick the best player available. If we have an opportunity to draft another G that we really like, then trading Garnett becomes an option. It doesn't have to happen during the draft either. Let him have a good training camp and see what other team has an urgent need due to an injury. OL, more than any other position, it seems, often get traded towards the end of camp. 

It's almost unthinkable we could even come out of free agency without a new starter at CB. I don't know if it will be Butler, like the article suggests (maybe he'd come with a recommendation by Jimmy GQB), or Trumaine Johnson, or a lower tier veteran, but I'm sure we'll get a starter. We'll probably also get a mid level LB, to at least compete with Coyle, while Reuben is suspended. Pass rusher is a complete wild card for me... I just have no idea what the plan is.

Archived