2018 NFL Free Agents Thread

DirtyJersey9er

1 hour ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

I have a hard time paying starter money for a back that’s never broke 1k on the ground and has only played a full 16 game schedule 1 time. For 6 per I feel like he needs to be “the guy” or at least take the majority of the snaps. I wouldn’t be upset if we signed him, just not a huge fan of paying starter money to a guy who probably won’t play every game and probably won’t break 1k.

The statistics don't bother me so much. The pats are the pats and that's  what they do. His efficiency has always been very good, and his all around game is very good, unlike the others available. Good in pass protection, good in the receiving game, quality runner and can even return kicks. But also, it's a short term deal at 3 years (and let's be honest, that's really a one or two year deal) at 6 mil, which is such a drop in the bucket. I mean, we gave Gilliam 4 million per year under the assumption that in an ideal situation, he plays what, less than 10% of the offensive snaps in a given year? Even between 200-235  touches, Lewis would have enough impact to justify the extra 2 for me.

There's certainly some merit in trying to rebuild Jeremy Hill on a cheap one year deal (and at the least he should be an improvement in short yardage), and crowell does have some ability, though I think he's largely an average running back with the ball in his hands and offers little else. I'd rather just pay the extra 3 for Lewis and get a big jump on those 225 touches and additional pass protection benefit. It really is completely negligible monetarily speaking

On 3/2/2018 at 1:53 AM, Knowledge said:

Dolphins are allowing Landry to seek a trade.

His best years are in front of him.

What would you be willing to trade? 

Absolutely nothing. Landry doesnt move the needle in this offense. Garcon and Bourne can both give me what Landry can. Taylor is well on his way to being a terror in the slot. And Landry cant consistently win on the outside with his subpar speed so where does he play? 

Am I the only person who thinks Landry still helps this offense substantially? I understand that he appears redundant..but more so with Garcon, not Taylor. (one could Argue Garcon is more of a big slot at his age. 

He's probably top 3 in the NFL in regards to his catching ability. Has no issues separating. Tough as nails,  blocks down the field, awesome after the catch and produced with inconsistent to awful QB play. 

I get that he appears redundant, but those skills can always be used on the field. His skill set is also a perfect match for Jimmy's strength right now. Screwing the middle of the field. Not to mention he can take over for Garcon in two years as sort of being the "big" physical RAC chain mover. 

Here's how I see it playing out with Landry

Z - Goodwin, Gabriel

Y - Landry, Taylor, Gabriel

X - Garcon -Landry, Rookie

I don't see how this is a bad thing unless you'd rather have the money spent elsewhere. (which is why I currently don't want him, just don't care to trade for him). But this team would be a nightmare to cover short and intermediate, add in Goodwin, Kittle and Gabriel who can all go deep and can take the top off..

If Shanny goes out and trades for the guy, I'd say that speaks volumes as to what he thinks he can do with him. Think about how Juice all of the sudden came on once Jimmy G came in, then apply that to someone like Landry.  OOf. 

45 minutes ago, John232 said:

Am I the only person who thinks Landry still helps this offense substantially? I understand that he appears redundant..but more so with Garcon, not Taylor. (one could Argue Garcon is more of a big slot at his age. 

He's probably top 3 in the NFL in regards to his catching ability. Has no issues separating. Tough as nails,  blocks down the field, awesome after the catch and produced with inconsistent to awful QB play. 

I get that he appears redundant, but those skills can always be used on the field. His skill set is also a perfect match for Jimmy's strength right now. Screwing the middle of the field. Not to mention he can take over for Garcon in two years as sort of being the "big" physical RAC chain mover. 

Z - Goodwin, Gabriel

I don't see how this is a bad thing unless you'd rather have the money spent elsewhere. (which is why I currently don't want him, just don't care to trade for him). But this team would be a nightmare to cover short and intermediate, add in Goodwin, Kittle and Gabriel who can all go deep and can take the top off..

If Shanny goes out and trades for the guy, I'd say that speaks volumes as to what he thinks he can do with him. Think about how Juice all of the sudden came on once Jimmy G came in, then apply that to someone like Landry.  OOf. 

Basically for me, he doesn't offer enough improvement to justify the sizeable salary. To put it plainly, in your scenario, Landry - Taylor = net gain < 14 million / yr. Particularly when I can give the majority of that 14 million to norwell and get a much bigger net gain 

Norwell - Tomlinson / Garnett net gain > Landry - Taylor net gain to me

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

Basically for me, he doesn't offer enough improvement to justify the sizeable salary. To put it plainly, in your scenario, Landry - Taylor = net gain < 14 million / yr. Particularly when I can give the majority of that 14 million to norwell and get a much bigger net gain 

Norwell - Tomlinson / Garnett net gain > Landry - Taylor net gain to me

Oh I get it, and agree. I would prefer to add  a top end CB with Norwell and then pepper in some good rotational players to Landry..but if we do end up with Landry, it's still a very, very good thing. He might not be in the tier 1 of receivers, or even tier 2, but I'd say he's safely in that tier 3. 

3 hours ago, Forge said:

The statistics don't bother me so much. The pats are the pats and that's  what they do. His efficiency has always been very good, and his all around game is very good, unlike the others available. Good in pass protection, good in the receiving game, quality runner and can even return kicks. But also, it's a short term deal at 3 years (and let's be honest, that's really a one or two year deal) at 6 mil, which is such a drop in the bucket. I mean, we gave Gilliam 4 million per year under the assumption that in an ideal situation, he plays what, less than 10% of the offensive snaps in a given year? Even between 200-235  touches, Lewis would have enough impact to justify the extra 2 for me.

There's certainly some merit in trying to rebuild Jeremy Hill on a cheap one year deal (and at the least he should be an improvement in short yardage), and crowell does have some ability, though I think he's largely an average running back with the ball in his hands and offers little else. I'd rather just pay the extra 3 for Lewis and get a big jump on those 225 touches and additional pass protection benefit. It really is completely negligible monetarily speaking

I do like the idea of this. Hill has shown he can do it and I think would pair with Breida well. Like I said, I wouldn’t be terribly upset, just not a move I’d make probably.

3 hours ago, John232 said:

Z - Goodwin, Gabriel

I think Landry has a BIG problem separating when lined up, out wide which is why he is most effeftive in the slot. Yes he's sure handed but he isnt a substantial improvement over anything we currently have. Plus, he's pretty much hit his ceiling. I dont see him improving much from the player he currently is. He isnt a #1 WR IMO and to pay a guy the type of money he wants he has to be a clear #1, win-on-any-route type of guy and that isnt Landry.  Most Dolphins fans will tell you the same. 

15 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

I think Landry has a BIG problem separating when lined up, out wide which is why he is most effeftive in the slot. Yes he's sure handed but he isnt a substantial improvement over anything we currently have. Plus, he's pretty much hit his ceiling. I dont see him improving much from the player he currently is. He isnt a #1 WR IMO and to pay a guy the type of money he wants he has to be a clear #1, win-on-any-route type of guy and that isnt Landry.  Most Dolphins fans will tell you the same. 

I mean, we're in a league that has plenty of great slot corners and he burned them, he can separate from people on the outside. where he does have problems separating is down the field. I get that, I think he's a #1, but he doesn't deserve elite money. And unfortunately, that's what he's asking for.

But Landry is a great receiver, one of the best in the league and I don't think he can be simplified down to "Well, he's a slot". He has things he's great at, things hes good at, and other things he's just not built to do. But the guy maximizes every put of his body and potential, and I don't think he's hit his ceiling because I think a creative coaching staff will do wonders for him. Dude his been in a garbage offense for years. 

Great WR? No way, dude averages the lowest amount of yards per target from any WR in the league. He's got a limited skillset that you could find fairly easily in the middle rounds of the draft. His YPC is barely 10, and he operates primarily in the slot. I'm not paying a guy like that more than 8 million per year, let alone 14 or 15 million per year. 

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Great WR? No way, dude averages the lowest amount of yards per target from any WR in the league. He's got a limited skillset that you could find fairly easily in the middle rounds of the draft. His YPC is barely 10, and he operates primarily in the slot. I'm not paying a guy like that more than 8 million per year, let alone 14 or 15 million per year. 

Fair enough. I think he's a great slot, and could transition to the outside, maybe not put up huge numbers, but still be very good. I think his athleticism is limiting,  But as an actual receiver, he's maximizing everything. 

But agree with your last part, I think his price tag and what it will take to get him is going to be way too much. Pre-tag I was more on board with him, now? not so much. Still would love to have someone like that on the team though. 

I think most people thought we’d make a move for Johnson. It really makes sense with our need and what our staff wants in its CBs. I think Johnson could really help Ahkello’s development as well. 

4 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Not surprising at all. Stockton kid so he probably wants to play close to home. 

Yup, and he's perfect fit for the defense, so our interest should be sky high given the need. 

Archived