2018 NFL Free Agents Thread

DirtyJersey9er

Hey all, haven't posted here is years, but see a lot of familiar names. Figured I would jump back into it

I think signing A-Rob, Sitton and T. Johnson would be an amazing FA haul and really put us into position to go BPA in the draft. Will this happen? I think the odds are better than one would normally think.

-Not that high on Watkins or Pugh signings. I always thought Watkins was the victim of average QB play or just bad offensive scheme, thats why I was surprised how average he was last year in the Rams offense. Pugh, his injuries just scare me, other than that i think he is a good scheme fit.

-Also wouldnt mind signing Paul Posluszny, always liked the way he played the game and would be a solid veteran presence if Foster is out for a long period of time. Even though i think we should definitely address the position in the draft.

Thats all I got for now, good to be back!

@J-ALL-DAY 

Seems like most Rams fans will miss him but are all in agreement that he's getting a massive massive overpay. 

PFF had Johnson at a score of 74 which grades out as average. 

Player Profiler had Dontae Johnson at 64 and Trumaine Johnson at 62 in ranking yards allowed. 

Tru was 36 on catch rate allowed, Dontae was 67 (oof). 

Tru was 31 on passer rating when targeted. 

23rd ranked in PBU

Nothing he's done is telling me that he's going to be worth top 10 to top 5 corner money. 

Maybe I'm just getting nervous about him, but I think it's going to be a bad over pay and would probably get similar production from a bargain bin player if utilized correctly. 

Meh, PFF's scores on CBs could be suspect. They had Patrick Peterson grading out average when he hardly allowed any catches this past season. 

Like the breakdown I posted a week ago, Johnson was great in press coverage. He is going to have big value on this team in that area. I don't question if he allowed more yards than he should since he played a lot of off man coverage and zone coverage while also seeing quite a bit of pass attempts since they would put opposing teams in early deficits. 

But even if we don't get Johnson, I'm good with other corners on the market. Good time for a CB needy team such as us.

I wonder what type of guard we're really going to look at. When I read about Josh Sitton, for example, it said he was a pretty good pass blocker, but just an average run blocker. Considering Jimmy works well in the pocket and has a quick release, are we really going to look at pass blocking linemen, or perhaps focus more on run blockers, since Jimmy can compensate for their lack of pass blocking to some extent? Jimmy can't really make anyone run block better. At most, he can audible in and out of a play and use a favorable front to his advantage. But he can't open up the holes. So strategically speaking, shouldn't we try to get the best run blockers we can, and we'll get a benefit to the passing game only in the sense that the successful running game opens up the opportunities to throw and the ability to playaction? Or do we go for good pass blocker, give even more time to Jimmy to find the open guy and get the passing game going, loosening up the run defense, so that our running game then benefits? I don't know. Our OL could really go either way. Staley is good in pass pro and run blocking. Kilgore is not really good at either, if you ask me. Garnett is probably more of a run blocker? I don't even know. Tomlinson is... big? Fusco is average at anything. Trent Brown is a better pass blocker than run blocker, and in theory, he doesn't really fit the usual mold of Shany's linemen. So, honestly, I really have no idea where we're heading with that unit. Are we trying to do a little bit of both, or have more of a focus?

4 hours ago, John232 said:

@J-ALL-DAY 

Seems like most Rams fans will miss him but are all in agreement that he's getting a massive massive overpay. 

PFF had Johnson at a score of 74 which grades out as average. 

Player Profiler had Dontae Johnson at 64 and Trumaine Johnson at 62 in ranking yards allowed. 

Tru was 36 on catch rate allowed, Dontae was 67 (oof). 

Tru was 31 on passer rating when targeted. 

23rd ranked in PBU

Nothing he's done is telling me that he's going to be worth top 10 to top 5 corner money. 

Maybe I'm just getting nervous about him, but I think it's going to be a bad over pay and would probably get similar production from a bargain bin player if utilized correctly. 

A really good FA guard, and decent receiver or LB and Ward in the first.  Still leaves us a pass rush problem. Bui that would take care of a lot of needs.  And with a 2nd and two high 3rds maybe we can get lucky on a pass rusher.

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

One of the top corners in free agency plus Landry in round 1 and a guard in round 2/3 and we're set!

Would you be ok with Landry at 9? Curious because Forge and some others are pretty resistant too it. 

26 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

One of the top corners in free agency plus Landry in round 1 and a guard in round 2/3 and we're set!

This off-season gets us a step closer to being the team we wanna be. Not giving Lynch time to put real talent around Jimmy and Co is short sighted. 

I’m so pumped that we are at least interested in A-Rob. Love him as a player. I really hope we can make that work. Hoping Robinson feels the Jimmy G affect and boards the plane as soon as FA opens.

Archived