2018 NFL Free Agents Thread

DirtyJersey9er

2 hours ago, 48 1/2ers said:

I think Kevin Jones is trying to pump up his celebrity by making some crap up. He's been talking about how he has the most followers he's ever had and most people listening to his podcast so he's trying to find a way to stay relevant. The old "sources are telling me" crap.

Everyone and their mother knows that the niners are bout to be the best free agent market this offseason, its not a big leap. 

He probably is telling the truth here, but the free agent WR is likely not a big name. I guess Pryor fits the bill, but wouldn't he already know about the area since he was in the Bay Area to start his career? I would say someone like Taylor Gabriel who played in Cleveland in 2015 when he covered that team is probably the guy.

I would really love the Colts not to re-sign Frank, so we can sign him so he finishes his career with us. I believe that if Carlos was really in Kyle's plans, he would have been re-signed by now. Kyle kinda pounded the table for Joe Williams, so it may be that he really is in the plans for the next year. Coupled with Breida and the greatest possible mentor in Gore, I'd be more than happy with that group. Frank can still play. Maybe they let him go and draft Barkley.

Just imagine it: we re-sign Gore, make the playoffs with Jimmy... superbowl mvp... hall of fame... it's just perfect.

One guy I'll be interest to see what happens with - Cameron Brate. Great red zone target. He's an RFA, but clearly, TB has sort of started phasing him out and of course they drafted Howard. Curious to what they tender him with. If it's something silly, like an original round tender (I think he was a UDFA), then we should definitely make a play for him in my opinion to help in the red zone. 

45 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

So...I think Malcom Butler will hit the market this offseason. Yay or nay? 

He definitely will...and he's having an awful season last I heard. Not sure if that's still the case as the Pats defense has gotten much better through the year. I'm not sure what to make of that - it's not uncommon for cornerbacks to have large variances season to season similar to kickers. I would understand the impetus to sign him, wouldn't hate it, but I wouldn't be shocked if it didn't work out either. I'm perfectly fine with signing him. I think if you want to compete right away, its probably better to bring in a starting corner through free agency rather than the draft. Corner is a really hard position to jump in and be effective at as a rookie. He probably wouldn't be my first choice, though. 

14 minutes ago, Forge said:

He definitely will...and he's having an awful season last I heard. Not sure if that's still the case as the Pats defense has gotten much better through the year. I'm not sure what to make of that - it's not uncommon for cornerbacks to have large variances season to season similar to kickers. I would understand the impetus to sign him, wouldn't hate it, but I wouldn't be shocked if it didn't work out either. I'm perfectly fine with signing him. I think if you want to compete right away, its probably better to bring in a starting corner through free agency rather than the draft. Corner is a really hard position to jump in and be effective at as a rookie. 

I would love to bring Butler in on a 1 year prove it deal.

13 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

I would love to bring Butler in on a 1 year prove it deal.

If you can get him on that based on his season (again, I don't know how he's played the last few weeks), I'd be all for it. But there's always that one team...

He'll probably end up signing for 5/65-70 somewhere given the amount of cash that is out there this year. 

6 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

So...I think Malcom Butler will hit the market this offseason. Yay or nay? 

Yay. He's proven himself to be very good even if he is having bit of a down season. It just comes down to if Lynch believes in paying top money for a CB. 

9 hours ago, Forge said:

He definitely will...and he's having an awful season last I heard. Not sure if that's still the case as the Pats defense has gotten much better through the year. I'm not sure what to make of that - it's not uncommon for cornerbacks to have large variances season to season similar to kickers. I would understand the impetus to sign him, wouldn't hate it, but I wouldn't be shocked if it didn't work out either. I'm perfectly fine with signing him. I think if you want to compete right away, its probably better to bring in a starting corner through free agency rather than the draft. Corner is a really hard position to jump in and be effective at as a rookie. He probably wouldn't be my first choice, though. 

From what i've seen and heard Butler is having a solid season, but you can tell Gilmore is a level above Butler. Really the Pats have a great all around secondary with McCourtey and Harmon. 

Fuller should be our #1 CB target, then Butler (not interested in Prince)

Lawrence should be our #1 Edge target, then Ansah 

I'd also like a chance at Jerrick McKinnon, Dion Lewis, Paul Richardson, and Jaron Brown (AZ)

20 minutes ago, 48 1/2ers said:

From what i've seen and heard Butler is having a solid season, but you can tell Gilmore is a level above Butler. Really the Pats have a great all around secondary with McCourtey and Harmon. 

Fuller should be our #1 CB target, then Butler (not interested in Prince)

Lawrence should be our #1 Edge target, then Ansah 

I'd also like a chance at Jerrick McKinnon, Dion Lewis, Paul Richardson, and Jaron Brown (AZ)

There are a weird amount of under the radar good corners to choose from in free agency this year. Fuller should definitely be a high priority given his age and play. Brent Grimes is still playing at a high level even now. As a 1-2 year player, you could do a lot worse and be grooming another CB behind him. Ross Cockrell is a pretty underrated cornerback for the Giants, and I wouldn't hate that signing at all. He could come in and be a competent startingn corner.  I know @J-ALL-DAY likes Claiborne, and I've loved EJ Gaines since college. Both are free agents. Then of course there is Trumaine Johnson, who fits what we would want in a corner. He'll be expensive, but he's a good corner. 

I'd love to grab Lawrence in FA, I just have a hard time seeing them letting him go. I think he's destined for the tag. But if he's on the market, go out and get him. I don't have the same love for Ziggy that a lot of people on here have. He just disappears far too often for my taste, and I honestly don't see that he's all that great. I think he's a solid player, but not much more than that.

I'm all for Dion Lewis. I'll be honest, didn't know he was a FA until you said that. My wide receiver desires would still run A-Rob and Adams first and foremost, but there are a couple of nice pieces that can be added. I'd probably prefer someone that can do more damage in the red zone, however. 

With all the cap room we have, I would love to spend some before free agency even opens. Aside from giving Garoppolo some big money, I would love to give extensions to Goodwin and Tartt long before they'll even think about what they might get on the open market in 2019. Front-load them to up their cap hit in 2018 and go from there. I see both as sticking around for at least 3-4 years, and I see both as potentially getting pricey if waiting until 2019.

I would also do the same for Brown if the team considers him a long-term piece. I'm a big believer in getting extensions done early. 

Just now, y2lamanaki said:

With all the cap room we have, I would love to spend some before free agency even opens. Aside from giving Garoppolo some big money, I would love to give extensions to Goodwin and Tartt long before they'll even think about what they might get on the open market in 2019. Front-load them to up their cap hit in 2018 and go from there. I see both as sticking around for at least 3-4 years, and I see both as potentially getting pricey if waiting until 2019.

I would also do the same for Brown if the team considers him a long-term piece. I'm a big believer in getting extensions done early. 

Yea extend all those names you mentioned, maybe throw a couple more years to Staley through 2020/2021. 

Archived