2018 NFL Free Agents Thread

DirtyJersey9er

2 hours ago, Forge said:

Who plays the big end on passing downs for us? Do we finally give Blair that chance? I can't think that I'm the only person who believes he has flashed a time or two in the pass rushing game. 

I Figure Thomas / Buckner inside, Dumervil or rookie at the LEO spot. Not sure about the big end position though. 

i wasn't a huge fan of drafting Thomas a big end because we had Blair and Armstead.  I love Blair. 

2 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I don't know if he is or isn't, but the team really likes him and I doubt Blair surpasses him on the depth chart. 

Yeah, Saleh seems to rate Marsh pretty highly so it looks like Blair could be buried on the depth chart unfortunately.

Both of these tidbits from the same article. Too bad Brock got his name in the papers. 

TRUMAINE JOHNSON – CB

Johnson is coming off a season in which he surrendered 759 receiving yards, a career high, and an average of 14.9 yards per catch, again the most of his career. There are teams throughout the league that are better suited to taking advantage of his size and length without exposing him to quickness in space, a vulnerability of his. Johnson will likely still be a coveted free agent, but the team that lands him will likely be a huge factor in whether he rediscovers his best play.

TRAMAINE BROCK – CB

In the three seasons that Tramaine Brock has played starting snaps, he has averaged an overall PFF grade of 81.5. In 2016, his last season with the 49ers, he surrendered six touchdowns, but he also had nine pass breakups and allowed just 50 percent of targets thrown his way to be caught. Brock has shown in the past that he can be a reliable, quality starter and impact a defense positively, but he was simply surplus in Minnesota and was unable to eat into any playing time.

This is a league where starting cornerbacks are not easy to find, and Brock would upgrade several rosters throughout the league.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-free-agents-who-could-use-a-change-of-scenery

I know that we have talked about the likelihood that we aren't going to land 3 or more big name big money free agents, but I swear, for some reason, I'm getting the feeling that we are gearing up to try. Maybe it's just the quiet on the trade / FA front so far. I mean, some scuttle about Talib, we talked to Vontae, but nothing that really indicated we were super excited or interested in the latter. I think that we have a very clear plan in mind for free agency. 

Also, there's talk that if the Giants land Norwell, Pugh goes to the Jags (makes sense, given who is in charge over there). Looks like we may be counting on the draft to upgrade that interior, if we are looking to upgrade it at all (please tell me we are looking to upgrade there) 

5 hours ago, AustrianNiner said:

Yeah, Saleh seems to rate Marsh pretty highly so it looks like Blair could be buried on the depth chart unfortunately.

Well hey, that's what OTAs and all other preseason events are all about!  :)

24 minutes ago, Forge said:

I know that we have talked about the likelihood that we aren't going to land 3 or more big name big money free agents, but I swear, for some reason, I'm getting the feeling that we are gearing up to try. Maybe it's just the quiet on the trade / FA front so far. I mean, some scuttle about Talib, we talked to Vontae, but nothing that really indicated we were super excited or interested in the latter. I think that we have a very clear plan in mind for free agency. 

Also, there's talk that if the Giants land Norwell, Pugh goes to the Jags (makes sense, given who is in charge over there). Looks like we may be counting on the draft to upgrade that interior, if we are looking to upgrade it at all (please tell me we are looking to upgrade there) 

I see two big signings and then three or four depth signings. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

I'm guessing we get two mid to big names if we can. I feel like the 49ers are really going to try hard to get Johnson at corner. Then maybe some interior line help. Don't think it's Norwell. Maybe Pugh or Sutton. 

Then we will draft Edmunds at linebacker and I'll be happy. 

I agree, I think we’ll sign one, maybe two big free agents, but I think the priority is corner in FA. We may get lucky with either a big named receiver like Robinson, or get Moncrief and see what happens. Interior line will probably be drafted, just because the big names are linked to teams already. 

I forgot to mention, I would like to get Dion Lewis too. That would be a nice pick up. 

8 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I see two big signings and then three or four depth signings. 

I don't know what people are considering big and depth signings, but I am still under the belief that we'll see one top tier FA, a variety of Pierre Garcon/Marquise Goodwin-level pickups, and a variety of guys brought in to compete. 

Meaning, there are a lot out there probably dreaming about Robinson, Norwell, and Butler, but they're dreams for a reason.

2 hours ago, y2lamanaki said:

I don't know what people are considering big and depth signings, but I am still under the belief that we'll see one top tier FA, a variety of Pierre Garcon/Marquise Goodwin-level pickups, and a variety of guys brought in to compete. 

Meaning, there are a lot out there probably dreaming about Robinson, Norwell, and Butler, but they're dreams for a reason.

Big signings to me are considered Robinson/Watkins/Fuller/Johnson/Butler/Burton/etc. 

Depth signings are like Gabriel or as last year Gillam/Coyle/etc. 

One difference from last year is that there aren't as many starting gigs up for grabs. 

11 hours ago, Forge said:

I'm starting to think that our expectations for the OL doesn't necessarily match what Kyle and John have in mind. We'll probably be underwhelmed. We'll probably re-sign Fusco and find another Fusco to go along with him and Garnett. Then in the draft, we may look to add another interior OL, maybe a C, but I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't. Or maybe we draft Trent Brown's replacement.

I think, for sure, we sign one of the bigger name cornerback. The rest will likely be depth.

2 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Big signings to me are considered Robinson/Watkins/Fuller/Johnson/Butler/Burton/etc. 

Depth signings are like Gabriel or as last year Gillam/Coyle/etc. 

One difference from last year is that there aren't as many starting gigs up for grabs. 

Where's Dion Lewis? His salary will be more low, but also he's the best rb available

Archived