2018 NFL Free Agents Thread

DirtyJersey9er

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

If they were serious about Robinson, then they wouldn't have given Goodwin this deal as he still has one year left on his contract. This signing can't end up costing something that was never a real possibility. 

This. 

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

If they were serious about Robinson, then they wouldn't have given Goodwin this deal as he still has one year left on his contract. This signing can't end up costing something that was never a real possibility. 

I wasn't talking about this signing. Besides that Goodwin and Robinson are completely different Wr's.

4 minutes ago, Swift21 said:

I wasn't talking about this signing. Besides that Goodwin and Robinson are completely different Wr's.

Right, but you're saying Garcon's deal is costing us Robinson, which isn't accurate. We could have easily afforded Garcon + Robinson prior to doing this deal if we really wanted Robinson. We could have waited on this extension to see if we landed Robinson first, but we didn't. Given how good Robinson is, that would have easily taken priority over giving Goodwin more money if we really wanted Robinson. It's safe to say that with this signing, out interest in Robinson was probably pretty tepid at best. 

4 minutes ago, John232 said:

I'm going to be  furious if we don't go hard after  Robinson. 

I won't be. Honestly, I consider that more of a luxury item. Cornerback, Guard, Pass Rusher are all considerably more important to us right now, and as others have said, it's unrealistic to believe that we are going to land more than 2 big money, big name free agents. Give me one of the cornerbacks + Pugh (or Norwell, but looks like he's already off market lol), and I would prefer that over A Rob. I'm going to be much more upset if we don't do anything to solve those issues more so than not grabbing Robinson. I'm perfectly content with just adding an upside depth piece at wide receiver at this point. 

3 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

You could consider him a big FA signing I guess. 

This was your comment on Lewis - this is why I made that last post. To me, Lewis would fit into my middle group. I had a feeling some of us were using a variety of definitions when predicting what we'll sign.

Just now, Forge said:

I won't be. Honestly, I consider that more of a luxury item. Cornerback, Guard, Pass Rusher are all considerably more important to us right now, and as others have said, it's unrealistic to believe that we are going to land more than 2 big money, big name free agents. Give me one of the cornerbacks + Pugh (or Norwell, but looks like he's already off market lol), and I would prefer that over A Rob. I'm going to be much more upset if we don't do anything to solve those issues more so than not grabbing Robinson. I'm perfectly content with just adding an upside depth piece at wide receiver at this point. 

I completely disagree. Just on the outset. Number one receivers with Robinsons talent RARELY hit free agency. The only reason he did is because Jacksonville has tapped their cap hard and they still have a lot of guys to pay down the line.  Not only that, it's going to be a big need in the next couple years when we cut bait with Garcon. Get him in now, establish the rapport with Jimmy, work Garcon and Taylor out of the slot. We can still address corner/wr in free agency and grab a starting caliber guard in the draft. 

I get worried at this teams weird sense of contentment with positions. I know it's a matter of where one spends money, but after cutting Brock, they could have brought in other guys to replace Dontae Johnson, they could have drafted Lattimore too because we still had Carradine and Armstead to man the big end. But they went the cheap/do what we know route anyways and it really doesn't look good now. 

It seems like this team sips it's own koolaid sometimes. Kilgore, Malcom Smith, Dontae Johnson...

I also love AR15. top 5 player favorite player for me prior to this anyways, so i'm salty af. 

7 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

This was your comment on Lewis - this is why I made that last post. To me, Lewis would fit into my middle group. I had a feeling some of us were using a variety of definitions when predicting what we'll sign.

Yeah, I'm kind of feeling the same. 

30 minutes ago, Forge said:

Right, but you're saying Garcon's deal is costing us Robinson, which isn't accurate. We could have easily afforded Garcon + Robinson prior to doing this deal if we really wanted Robinson. We could have waited on this extension to see if we landed Robinson first, but we didn't. Given how good Robinson is, that would have easily taken priority over giving Goodwin more money if we really wanted Robinson. It's safe to say that with this signing, out interest in Robinson was probably pretty tepid at best. 

You may not see that way but more than likely it did. There both possession Wr's that don't really complement each other on the field. You ideally want a speed(Goodwin) Wr lining up on the opposite side of your possession WR.

2 minutes ago, SFrush said:

You may not to see that way but more than likely it did. There both possession Wr's that don't really complement each other on the field. You ideally want a speed(Goodwin) Wr lining up on the opposite side of your possession WR.

One, you're making a huge assumption on how much interest we actually have / had in Robinson. There's no way to tell if we were ever interested in him. Two, you can line up Garcon / Robinson on opposite sides of the field just fine, particularly when you have Goodwin as a third wide receiver. 

Just now, Forge said:

One, you're making a huge assumption on how much interest we actually have / had in Robinson. There's no way to tell if we were ever interested in him. Two, you can line up Garcon / Robinson on opposite sides of the field just fine, particularly when you have Goodwin as a third wide receiver. 

@Forge Agree. Or Garcon slides into the slot and Goodwin goes to the outside in any 3 Wrs. We could also throw Trent Taylor out in the slot with Garcon in any four wide sets. So there are plenty of options IF we do indeed get Arob. If they get open,  it doesn't matter if they are both "possession" WRs. 

I really dont see why extending Garcon puts us out of the Robinson race. I feel the deal we have with Garcon would be a bigger reason we won't go after him and so far we haven't seen what the offense will look like with Garcon, Goodwin, Taylor and Jimmy G. The way Goodwin played down the stretch was exactly what you want from that spot. And for me i don't feel having a top level no.1 is worth it. Look at what New England has done with there receivers and Running backs and i feel confident we can do the same. You need guys that compliment each other and if you can draft a Julio Jones or an Allen Robinson go for it but i dont feel they are worth the extra money you have to pay them once they hit free agency.   

41 minutes ago, Forge said:

Just because you can afford someone doesn't mean you always do it. Besides with so many other needs on the roster handing out large deals to WR's in consecutive years is not that simple.

I guess part of my frustration is that we are now an offense first team. Signing Trumaine Johnson or Malcom Butler and drafting Harold Landry is not going to make us the next legion of boom. We are an offensive team now, we need to build around the offense and we need to do everything in our power to make JImmy's job as easy as possible so he can be as dominant as possible. I don't want a Russell Wilson/Matt Stafford situation where the FO just throws one or two good players on offense with the QB then focus everything on defense, only to mess it up half the time. 

Also people keep bringing up the Pats. It's a god awful example. They have Gronk, Brandin Cooks and Edleman. That's a top 5 receiving corps  with the GOAT at QB. That's the exception, not the rule. 

Archived