2018 NFL Free Agents Thread

DirtyJersey9er

And in 2016 they won the superbowl with Bennett, Edelman and Hogan. Ofcourse you cant build your team exactly like they did but with the scheme we have and the QB we have i feel its more important to surround that with talented guys that fill a role than having that guy that can do it all. Like Shanahan said at the combine. Throwing big money at a #1 in the hope to get Julio Jones is not worth it because the guy ain't Julio. Surround your QB with a good O-line and a stable of receivers that can do the job you want them to do. 

The problem with only focusing on one side of the ball is that you get situations like the Saints the past few years. Top level offense but a defense that can't stop the other team which makes the pressure on that O so much higher. You cant just say we are an offense first team. You need to have a good defense so you make it easier for you offense. The Seahawks have spend a lot of high picks and money on the O the past few years but the pieces they added didn't fit or didn't develop the way they wanted. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

I won't be. Honestly, I consider that more of a luxury item. Cornerback, Guard, Pass Rusher are all considerably more important to us right now, and as others have said, it's unrealistic to believe that we are going to land more than 2 big money, big name free agents. Give me one of the cornerbacks + Pugh (or Norwell, but looks like he's already off market lol), and I would prefer that over A Rob. I'm going to be much more upset if we don't do anything to solve those issues more so than not grabbing Robinson. I'm perfectly content with just adding an upside depth piece at wide receiver at this point. 

I agree with this completely.  Sure I'd like a true number 1 WR just like everyone else. I just have other needs ranked higher.  Your 3 are my three and I'd even add RB and LB and maybe even OT ahead of a big money WR. I'd be happy to take a shot at a WR in the second or third if one appeals to us, but I'm also happy to roll with what we've got and fix all those other problems before addressing WR. FWIW if we did want a big name WR then Robinson is the one I would want. 

And they had the GOAT QB. That's a huge reason as to why they can get by with unconventional WR combinations. Also, that's still a pretty solid group.

second, we're already different from the Saints on defense. Tartt, Buckner, Foster, Akhello and possibly Thomas and Colbert are already flashing more than any defensive player the Saints had the last couple years (until Jordan, Lattimore and Williams blew up). My point being is we've invested a massive amount in the defense already We did it last year, we did it the year before and the year before that. In that time we've seen our offensive line die, we've had to commit money to solid, but not great receivers, and up until our lord and savior started against chicago, NONE OF IT resembled anything even remotely resembling an average offense, outside of Shanny's play calling. 

Point is, Jimmy G is not there yet, and we shouldn't expect him to just carry an offense on his back. That's playing with fire in a big big way and I think it's incredibly stupid to not protect that investment and a potential star. 

And I'm not saying we shouldn't try to fix defensive holes when they appear, but throwing big name money at above average guys is not going to make us world beaters on defense. Imo, you don't tap out your cap to be  average to above average on both sides of the ball and that's the road we're heading down if we start handing out big money deals to guys like Tru, Butler, Sammy Watkins, average to above average players who likely won't push us over the top.  AR15 is a bonafide stud and a guy that can be top 10 at his position for the next 8 years. That's a lot more appealing to me than expensive glorified stop gaps. Hell, even if it isn't AR15, they need to go after a guy like Norwell before spending big on corner. Protect Jimmy and winning will follow.

This teams identity is it's offense now. Mitigate weaknesses, build strengths. 

My bigger frustration is that we can and should still be trying to address CB, WR and OG in Free agency and getting the best guys at each position, don't expect the top guy for each one, but the effort needs to be made. I don't see why we can't end up with Tru, Robinson and Josh Kline (solid middle tier option  guard from Tennessee). That addresses a huge problem on defense, gives us a bon afide stud on the outside,  and helps settle IOL 

I Like a-rob...but the bona fide stud thing has me confused. He's had more bad/meh seasons (2) than even good seasons (1), and that good season was helped out considerably by a lot of garbage time from Bortles. Like a lot. That was the year of the "Bortles is a garbage time stat padder" discussion. So how good is A-rob really? I mean, I'm certainly not sold enough on him to put him in the top 10 receivers or anything like that. The argument of overpaying above average players against Tru, Watkins, etc can absolutely be levied at Robinson. 

I'd love to have him here. I think he'd add a really nice dimension to what we have going on here, and I'd be willing to risk that he's a free agent bust. But would it completely shock me if he busted as a free agent and only put up solid if unspectacular wr 2 type numbers while being paid like an elite #1? Definitely not. 

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

I Like a-rob...but the bona fide stud thing has me confused. He's had more bad/meh seasons (2) than even good seasons (1), and that good season was helped out considerably by a lot of garbage time from Bortles. Like a lot. That was the year of the "Bortles is a garbage time stat padder" discussion. So how good is A-rob really? I mean, I'm certainly not sold enough on him to put him in the top 10 receivers or anything like that. The argument of overpaying above average players against Tru, Watkins, etc can absolutely be levied at Robinson. 

God dammit, I want you to abstain for employing too much logic against my emotional argument.

For me it really comes down to the player. I like Robinson a lot more as a prospect and a player than any of the to other listed guys. Watkins hasn't even come close to Robinson's best season. His meh season is a rookie, his good season, was not good, it was elite, and his bad season was a combination of both him and Bortles regressing and awful coaching. Still not encouraging, but that elite season sure as **** is.  Robinson didn't look quite as sharp, but still showed a lot more promise than any of his counter parts hitting free agency.  How often have we seen guys put up a crazy good season like AR15 did, and then become average. Mark Clayton? Flash Gordon? Miles Austin? And even then, none of those guys put up the elite numbers Robinson did at his peak, at 22. 

My point is, your argument that Robinson is basically on the same level as them (which is valid) still doesn't take into account his upside.I think a team  should be paying a guy based on what they can be for the duration of the contract with your team, not what they were.  Robinson's upside>>>everyone else. 

I don't think having Garçon and Goodwin signed automatically eliminates the Allen Robinson possibility. We have the cap space, we could make it work. Even if it ultimately means playing Garçon less and practically having to eat up his cap hit. It's not ideal, it is somewhat of a waste, but if the FO feels it's improving the team significantly by signing Robinson, then it should do it. But, would they improve the team significantly, or would it be marginal? I think Goodwin is part of our core because of his skills and speed. I think Garçon is part of our core because of his experience, leadership and consistency on the field. Robinson would be more of a boom or bust. It's a move we would perhaps make if we didn't have Garçon and Goodwin, but not because of the money invested in them. I could still Robinson coming on a one year deal. He might feel a year with Garoppolo has a good chance of getting him a fat contract, with us or with someone else. If he feels he can carve himself a role in the offense and produce, I could see him doing it. But I don't think money will be an issue for us. It might be for him, if he gets a long-term deal elsewhere. But is he going to get that, post ACL?

6 hours ago, y2lamanaki said:

This was your comment on Lewis - this is why I made that last post. To me, Lewis would fit into my middle group. I had a feeling some of us were using a variety of definitions when predicting what we'll sign.

I'd list approximately

Top: 12-16 mil

Mid: 8-12 mil

Low: Anything below

and I think we get 1 top end, 1 mid, and a bunch of depth/lower end guys.

54 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

With how aggressive we've been going after a cornerback, I expect us to sign a high price one next week.

I dont expect us to go after big money guys like Johnson or Butler. I really believe it will be a next tier lower CB like Amukamara or Colvin.muamukamarakamaraAMUKAMARA

24 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Robinson will be getting paid for a big season he had three years ago, and he's coming off a big injury. Mulling this over, as a fan I'm not going to be disappointed at all if the 49ers don't even push for him.

Just like drafting a rookie and signing him to a contract, you are paying a player for what you believe he will do for you. He was injured last year but I believe he’s got the talent to be a legit #1 threat and I personally wouldn’t think twice about paying him like one, especially with the way contracts are these days giving teams outs after a year or two. 

4 hours ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

Just like drafting a rookie and signing him to a contract, you are paying a player for what you believe he will do for you. He was injured last year but I believe he’s got the talent to be a legit #1 threat and I personally wouldn’t think twice about paying him like one, especially with the way contracts are these days giving teams outs after a year or two. 

True, but most rookies that are signed aren't coming off back to back lackluster seasons, and a torn ACL.

I'd be willing to bet that if AR-15 signs here that he had a higher offer or two from other teams. That's the thing about having a QB who makes everyone around him better, WRs will want to come here. We won't have to pay top dollar to sign these guys. Kyle is well respected in the NFL because players and coaches know he is going to put his guys in the right spots. I can't tell you how many times the skill position players have said as such publicly without even being directly asked about Kyle. I think that will hold a lot of value when free agent wrs, RBs, and TEs are evaluating their options. 

Also I think Goodwin's extension will certainly help paint our FO in a good light with veterans who have a softer market than they might have hoped. We can say look, this guy out played his contract and we took care of him even when we didn't have to, we do right by our guys. Come here for a year or two, come compete, and if you succeed you will be rewarded. 

So its not necessarily about how much we offer them, but can Lynch make a good sales pitch? I think we are an easy sell. The way our team played at the end of the year hurt our draft stock, but will undoubtedly help us snag more FAs (and hopefully save some money while we do it if guys are willing to take a little less) 

Archived