Dee Ford to be released?? Debunked - Florio is a rumor monger

N4L

Wow, that would be a surprise.

I don't think we save any money this year by releasing him. In fact, this would cause his signing bonus proration to accelerate to this season, which would actually cost us more this year than he was currently on the books for, right @49erscap

I said yesterday that I thought we would activate him and keep him inactive just because it's worth the gamble, so seeing the rumor that he will actually be released is pretty wild 

Edited by N4L

On 12/13/2021 at 11:32 PM, N4L said:

What are the chances that we activate Dee from IR to keep him on the roster but inactive for each game? We have to have some confidence that we are going to make the playoffs now, right? Our superbowl aspirations become much more legit with Dee on the field rushing the passer like 15 times per game. Might be worth the risk if we feel like we can squeeze the roster space

If we don't activate him from IR, then I guess the real blunder was activating the practice window when we did. Should have waited, but shoulda woulda coulda

I said this on Monday, smh 

6 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Worst tease of a FA signing I can recall in the last 10-15 years?! Ugh. He fleeced the 9ers something awful. 

We traded for Ford. We gave up a second. We did sign him to his deal when we traded for him though (it was a tag and trade from the chiefs, I believe) 

10 minutes ago, Forge said:

Post 6/1, so we will get hit with the prorations only this year (along with the base assuming he wants to use up his 1x guaranteed payment). That means almost 9 million dead this year, another 10 million dead next year, I'm pretty sure. 

So savings for next year will still be around 4-5M?

16 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Worst tease of a FA signing I can recall in the last 10-15 years?! Ugh. He fleeced the 9ers something awful. 

He fleeced the Niners? He was awesome in 2019 and helped us in the SB run and then his body just broke down. It happens, these guys are humans playing a physically daunting sport. There was no fleecing going on....That would be if Ford started to show up out of shape and didn't have the same fire. That is not what happened at all. 

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

So does this mean he will be activated in hope he can return later in the season or he is leaving the building to rehab as though he won't be activated and will stay on IR for the rest of the season?

I took it as the latter, but I don't think it necessarily precludes either option 

1 hour ago, N4L said:

I took it as the latter, but I don't think it necessarily precludes either option 

Yep, on season ending IR and will be rehabbing out of the building.

Best of luck to Dee on whatever he decides to do. I'm sure he will be thinking heavily about retirement and I can't blame him. His body has ready gone through it the past few years.