WEEK 15: BENGALS AT BRONCO'S / ONE DOWN, FOUR TO GO

AKRNA

59 minutes ago, MontanaBronco said:

Say what you will, but the offense is already considerably more exciting to watch. Lock also seems like he is always about a play away from doing something colossally idiotic. 

I Think that's because he usually is. 

55 minutes ago, grizmo78 said:

Lock unfortunately just hasn't made nearly enough progress in any of his deficits like you mentioned. If we didn't have as much evidence of that, I might be willing to attribute the miss to not taking 1st rep snaps in practice, but we all know that's not his issue.  

I'd say the lack of improvement in Locks development may have something to do with our QB coach. Just a wild guess.

43 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Let's be clear - TeddyB was a massive reason why we lost today's game.  No one should deny this.

But Fangio's mismanagement in the 2Q (along with Shurmur) resulted in a 6-pt swing, instead of us being up 13-10 had we been even a tad more aggressive, we went down 13-10.

That 6-pt swing was literally the margin for victory.   And let's combine his end-of-4Q 2:35 with injury time clock set at 25 on 2nd down for CIN, were both literally game-changing management decisions.

Anyone who thinks Fangio should stay as a HC is absolutely delusional as to our chances to be a sustained playoff contender.   He hurts us so much.

The painful thing to our L - it's probably going to kill us even if we somehow went 3-0 tiebreaker wise.  But make no mistake, we saw today we're missing 4 things to be a legitimate contender, and only 1 of them is a player:

1.  Get us a top 10 QB and our W would purr.   Look at what a flawed QB like Lock did for 1-2 drives.   

2.  Get us a real HC who can do the entire skill set.  Not just a great DC who's terrible at the other parts.

3.  Get us an OC who can maximize our weapons.  

4.  Get us a ST coach who can just make us league-average.  I'm not asking for top 10, I'm asking for league-average.

#2 - #4 is pretty simple action-wise, it's a clean sweep of the coaching staff (but if we can keep OL coach Munchak who doesn't want to coach outside Colorado to be with his grandkids), then we get the best of both worlds.   #1 won't be easy, but we've got the targets who are interested (Russell Wilson & A-Rod).     

Today was likely our season re: playoffs.  It's AWESOME that we're playing meaningful games in December - but we should learn from what we've seen the last 3 years.   Fangio is now 1-22 as HC when trailing, and TeddyB is O-for (or it's the other way around).   Time for change is long overdue, and irrefutable.

Actually, in this scenario we're missing 5 parts. A DC that can dial up game plans to shut down just about anybody.

31 minutes ago, germ-x said:

Today was one of the few entire games I’ve caught all year.  Thats 100% correct.

Again I haven’t watched much all year and with better QB play this team would look much different, but man Jerry Jeudy is disappointing.  He wasn’t physical in college and that was my biggest concern but not only is he not physical he’s disinterested.  Again, QB that can play can change that, but his lack of physicality probably keeps him from ever being a legitimate #1 WR.

That's why I really liked Lamb.

15 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

Actually, in this scenario we're missing 5 parts. A DC that can dial up game plans to shut down just about anybody.

If we could simply demote Fangio to DC, no one would argue.  But we can't.  And as he showed today, and so many days, when we're behind, or when we need to have actual competent level game management - we don't get it.    That's the irrefutable reality.   Being HC means more than just being a great DC.  Today showed that in spades.

I’m still bullish on Jerry but man the league and most draft fans including me missed on Jefferson. I thought he could have a long career as a Robert Woods type, basically a high level #2 and he looks like a superstar and very likely the best WR in the draft. 

It does help a young WR being in a system where his role is very defined and he knows he’ll get a lot of targets. It never feels like there is any structure to the Broncos’ passing game. No receivers ever seem to really get into a rhythm, everyone seems to get a handful of looks and rarely in the positions I think they’d be most useful in.  I just don’t get it.

Edited by BroncoBruin

7 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

It never feels like there is any structure to the Broncos’ passing game. No receivers ever seem to really get into a rhythm, everyone seems to get a handful of looks and rarely in the positions I think they’d be most useful in.  I just don’t get it.

Couldn't agree more. I guess I'm spoiled having watched Walsh, then Shanahan run the WCO. If you dared to load the box they'd punish you badly. With Shurmur it's wasted. His idea to exploit a loaded box is a swing pass in the flat. 

It's bizarre.

32 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

If we could simply demote Fangio to DC, no one would argue.  But we can't.  And as he showed today, and so many days, when we're behind, or when we need to have actual competent level game management - we don't get it.    That's the irrefutable reality.   Being HC means more than just being a great DC.  Today showed that in spades.

I'm not questioning any of that. I simply pointed out in your scenario we need 5 pieces, not 4.

6 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

I mean, a guy got stretchered off the field and is spending the night in hospital. 

Fair, I was referring to no one from our 2022 core - which has been the take all along (when talking 2022+, it's the young core I'm referring to).   As I said when it happened, I still hope TeddyB is ok long-term.  No one deserves long-term CTE.

With us likely eliminated though, injury-wise my #1 hope for the rest of season is that we can keep the core healthy through the end of season.    Rather no one gets hurt, but that's sadly not a realistic scenario. 

Still, fair point - fixed.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, broncos67 said:

Disgusting performance with the season on the line. Embarrassing to have a big game like that at home and come out with a whopping 10 points. Fans should be pissed. Clean house. Fangio is useless. He's an absolutely horrendous HC. Shurmur should never have a job in this league again. A pathetic excuse for an OC.

Hope Teddy is okay on a personal level. On a game play level, he was garbage today. Bolles was horrendous. The clock management was a joke. A toddler could have done better.

The only upside is that the fate of this staff is sealed. They're all gone. 

Yeah. And yeah. Couldn’t have said it better Ben. Paton, I hope, feels the same way. 

4 hours ago, broncos67 said:

Disgusting performance with the season on the line. Embarrassing to have a big game like that at home and come out with a whopping 10 points. Fans should be pissed. Clean house. Fangio is useless. He's an absolutely horrendous HC. Shurmur should never have a job in this league again. A pathetic excuse for an OC.

Hope Teddy is okay on a personal level. On a game play level, he was garbage today. Bolles was horrendous. The clock management was a joke. A toddler could have done better.

The only upside is that the fate of this staff is sealed. They're all gone. 

Is there *any* reason for optimism going into 2022 in any of Fangio, Shurmur, Teddy, or Lock is still with the club? Like, I don’t even think keeping one of those QB’s around as a backup is palatable at this point, it’s absolutely time for a fresh start across the board at the position. 

You’re going back to Matt Stafford to find a good QB career after such an awful start, and then Peyton before him. Two guys in basically 25 years (both first overall picks where the talent level was incredibly obvious, even when they were struggling early.)  It’s over. No one can say otherwise anymore. He’s horrible, and he always will be. 

• Like 1