WEEK 15: BENGALS AT BRONCO'S / ONE DOWN, FOUR TO GO

AKRNA

I wonder if there is a Russell Westbrook effect on these WRs.  

You’re out there for 60-70 plays per game and, because of the pace and structure of the O, only 8-12 of those are targeting a WR. It can’t be easy to maintain top-level urgency, enthusiasm, rhythm, etc. on every route. The skill guys - particularly Fant, Sutton, Jeudy - look so lethargic and lifeless out there. I wonder if it’s a cascading effect of playing in such an undynamic offense?

12 minutes ago, bMiller031 said:

I wonder if there is a Russell Westbrook effect on these WRs.  

You’re out there for 60-70 plays per game and, because of the pace and structure of the O, only 8-12 of those are targeting a WR. It can’t be easy to maintain top-level urgency, enthusiasm, rhythm, etc. on every route. The skill guys - particularly Fant, Sutton, Jeudy - look so lethargic and lifeless out there. I wonder if it’s a cascading effect of playing in such an undynamic offense?

Maybe, but you can't have the drops like Sutton had, those are absolute drive-killers.   I know he'll be more explosive physically next year, but you have to leverage those opps.  Jeudy was rightfully criticized for his drops last year, but they were very correctable, as Sutton's drops have been.   Just doesn't mean he doesn't deserve anything but criticism. 

If this O falls behind 2+ scores, it gets pretty iffy.   It magnifies drive-kiling plays so much more.

To your point though - yes, a good QB can help the WR play elevate even more.   We've seen WR's crater when they lose their top tier QB.    It's also why paying WR's elite $ is so iffy.  Only a few truly deserve it.

Edited by Broncofan

10 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Maybe, but you can't have the drops like Sutton had, those are absolute drive-killers.   I know he'll be more explosive physically next year, but you have to leverage those opps.  Jeudy was rightfully criticized for his drops last year, but they were very correctable, as Sutton's drops have been.   Just doesn't mean he doesn't deserve anything but criticism. 

If this O falls behind 2+ scores, it gets pretty iffy.   It magnifies drive-kiling plays so much more.

To your point though - yes, a good QB can help the WR play elevate even more.   We've seen WR's crater when they lose their top tier QB.    It's also why paying WR's elite $ is so iffy.  Only a few truly deserve it.

Even if for no reason other than the belief “the ball can come my way regardless of play design or read progression” which our guys clearly don’t believe

Edited by bMiller031