WEEK 15: BENGALS AT BRONCO'S / ONE DOWN, FOUR TO GO

AKRNA

8 minutes ago, Dbrog24 said:

Man the scary part is always when it looks like nothing much happened on the play. Bridgewater is such a great guy and despite his faults, has had an impressive comeback after his early major injury. Praying for the man

It was the impact on the ground.   That's actually where most concussions occur (the 2nd hit when the brain gets shaken from the 1st hit, and then hits the ground - called coup-contrecoup - it's the 1-2 punch that's so damaging, the brain is moving from the dive/hit and then suddenly stops.    As scary as it is, it's increasingly more and more commonplace.  The Parham injury I referenced on TNF was exactly that mechanism FWIW. 

• Like 1

That's the biggest difference between our teams right now - as @lomaxgrUK pointed out before the game.    Great PA call with the run gashing our D in the 3Q, and great play by Boyd.  Yes Boyd was wide open but Burrow hit him in stride so he could make Simmons miss.  Very underrated part about chunk plays is putting the ball in spots where the player can keep adding YAC.   That's a massive area where both Lock last year, and TeddyB his entire career, have had been lacking.  

Nice extra effort by Simmons to save the 2-pt deficit.  We're back to the same situation though - our D is starting to wear out, the O needs to drive here or we're in trouble...again.

Edited by Broncofan

2 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

It was the impact on the ground.   That's actually where most concussions occur (the 2nd hit when the brain gets shaken from the 1st hit, and then hits the ground - called coup-contrecoup - it's the 1-2 punch that's so damaging, the brain is moving from the dive/hit and then suddenly stops.    As scary as it is, it's increasingly more and more commonplace.  The Parham injury I referenced on TNF was exactly that mechanism FWIW. 

That's good info. Never really had it explained like that. Was watching the Parham one and it freaked my out with the arm twitching. I'm glad I didn't have to see Teddy like that. Pretty gross seeing professional athletes completely powerless

5 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Kinda. Coup-contrecoup describes the action of the brain inside the skull after a single rotational hit (classic cause of the glass jaw in boxing) where the impact of the head causes the skull to hit the brain (coup) then the skull stops but the brain keeps going and hits the opposite side of the skull (contrecoup)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

Kinda. Coup-contrecoup describes the action of the brain inside the skull after a single rotational hit (classic cause of the glass jaw in boxing) where the impact of the head causes the skull to hit the brain (coup) then the skull stops but the brain keeps going and hits the opposite side of the skull (contrecoup)

Ppl were referencing the hit by the defender was mild, though - here, the ground is the reason that the skull stops so violently though, but yes, correct on the definition.  Practically, the head hitting the ground and brain hitting the opposite side is the same effect, though.