Is Jalen Mills Developing? (NFC Defensive Player of the Week)

Phire

Never thought I'd see the day.

Strong DL play is elevating everyone, but Mills was the most (and may still be) targeted player in the NFL. He has held his own so far.

If we are seeing his development, this is wonderful news for us going forward.

ae4c3b06e04de74b8bf0c472eaf6d79e0314280b

He had one decent game after having 23 that weren't good, and many bad. At this point in time I still have no reason to believe that he's any better than the 5th best corner on this roster behind Darby, Robinson, Douglas, and Jones (yes Jones even though he has yet to play a down)

CB play has been solid behind the talented fronts we rotate in.

I think he still needs to prove more..but at worse he will end up being solid depth.

Mills, Rasul, Darby and Sidney all competing for those outside spots next year will be great 

@Phire would it be petty of me to boast about how I kept saying Mills would be at the worst decent?xD

jk. 

But really, am glad to see he's been improving as much as he has been. There have been games where he's looked terrible, but he's beginning to show consistency in coverage, making plays on the ball,  and tackling as well. And as you said, this is a guy who's being targeted more than any other CB in the league. 

He's solid. Its a shame he's not that fast for a corner, if he had some speed he'd be pretty damn good. 

I say move him to the slot if we don't re-up P-rob, but of course there's the aforementioned speed/quickness problem so who knows where he'll play when Darby and Jones are healthy

13 hours ago, Danger said:

He had one decent game after having 23 that weren't good, and many bad. At this point in time I still have no reason to believe that he's any better than the 5th best corner on this roster behind Darby, Robinson, Douglas, and Jones (yes Jones even though he has yet to play a down)

That's a little harsh... he has had more than just one good game. Yes he is not the most athletically gifted CB, but he is developing and learning from his mistakes. He is becoming a very solid CB. Far better than he was last year. 

I like Mills, he brings a lot of swagger to our Defense, he makes a bonehead play here and there, but I love his attitude. 

15 hours ago, Phire said:

Mills was the most (and may still be) targeted player in the NFL. He has held his own so far.

Came in to say this. To be the most, if not one of the most , targeted CB in the league, can't complain much. Especially coming from a 7th rounder.  

Next year, training camp will be fun seeing these guys compete for an outside job.

Mills is for sure developing. He still isn't good. Pass rush hides his flaws to an extent and he has gotten by the past few weeks without facing any top WR talent. That said, if he keeps playing like this he will probably leave in a couple years and Byron Maxwell some poor team.

I'm not saying Mills is perfect. And maybe sometime down the line he'll suck horribly again.

There's no denying that he had a rough rookie year. But with that said, he was a 7th round rookie thrown into the wolves against guys like Dez, Odell Beckham, Garcon, DeSean, etc. Many rookies have struggled at CB in the past. I know many rookie DBs are playing well THIS year, but that probably has more to do with the general decline in OL play and the rise of DL play. Better DL play makes it easier on DBs, that's 101 stuff.

What I do love about Mills is that he has the right attitude. He doesn't get down on himself and he literally had the most reason to get down on himself last year. He doesn't blame anyone but himself for errors and he has a great "next play" attitude. It's hilarious to see him finger wagging or flexing when a QB obviously throws the ball away toward his direction, but hey, anything to get yourself hyped up lol. He's also not afraid to tackle which is good to see. He's a team player and I definitely appreciate that. 

Archived