Possible Front Office Alternatives

cortes02

We already have a coaching alternatives thread if Hue were to get fired.  After yesterdays fiasco with the current Browns front office, I thought it might be time to start a thread with possible replacements for the front office.  Sorry it's a little long but it's good to have several potential candidates. Below is the link where I had found all of the candidates.

https://www.si.com/mmqb/2016/12/15/nfl-general-manager-candidates-2017

Patriots VP of player personnel Nick Caserio: He interviewed in Miami a few years back, and there was a feeling then that he was ready to take his shot. He hasn’t interviewed elsewhere since, leading to a growing sense that it’d be tough to pry him away.

Ravens assistant GM Eric DeCosta: Good luck pursuing him. He’s almost certainly going nowhere. If anything were to lure him, my sense is it would have to be full control and either a major market or an historic franchise.

Seahawks co-director of player personnel Scott Fitterer: The former college director was promoted last year. And while he’s still on the road plenty, the change has given him experience in pro scouting and an office setting. His résumé = Seattle’s roster.

Packers director of player personnel Brian Gutekunst: As the team’s former college director, he’s vital in how Ted Thompson builds the roster. And while Eliot Wolf is a bigger name, I’ve heard too many good things about Gutekunst to leave him off.

Seahawks co-director of player personnel Trent Kirchner: He was promoted from pro director when Fitterer was, and has since gotten more experience on the college side. He’s interviewed with the Jets and Lions the last two years.

Cowboys assistant director of player personnel Will McClay: The Cowboys’ offensive talent speaks for itself, but Dallas has been equally resourceful in stocking the defense. And in that regard, the team’s top scout has been a difference-maker.

Cardinals VP of player personnel Terry McDonough: Part of the Ozzie Newsome tree, McDonough helped Steve Keim pull off a difficult rebuild-on-the-fly the past four years. The success of Tampa’s Jason Licht coming from Arizona won’t hurt either.

Vikings assistant GM George Paton: Like Ballard, he’s been in the mix for a number of jobs—he was one of two finalists for the Rams post in 2012—and has helped build a proven winner. Minnesota’s rash of injuries has only highlighted that.

Falcons assistant GM Scott Pioli: By all accounts, he’s learned from his experience in Kansas City, and he left the cupboard far from bare. His impact in Atlanta can be seen in the recent influx of talent on defense and along the offensive line.

Bengals director of player personnel Duke Tobin: Most road scouts have an enormous amount of respect for the stoic Tobin, who has strong football roots, plus a deep, sturdy roster to show for his nearly two decades in Cincinnati.

Packers director of football operations Eliot Wolf: Once Seattle’s John Schneider signed his extension, the assumption became that Wolf would succeed Thompson in Green Bay, maybe very soon. The rumor mill has also tied him to the Niners.

Candidate not on the link Peyton Manning: Future Hall of Famer who played 17 seasons.  Incredibly intelligent player who is a close friend of Jimmy Haslam.  No front office experience but that didn't stop San Francisco from hiring John Lynch. 

Even though they can be considered "name" candidates, I wouldn't mind either Scott Pioli or Eliot Wolf.  When it comes to the front office, whether they are football guys or not, in my opinion it just boils down to finding the right guy who understands the nuances of the NFL, the team, and personnel management.  If there are any other candidates please feel free to add.  

Peace!!!

I really do not trust Haslam to make the right chose, but it's all in his pocket now. I want a GM who has extensive experience in scouting with a proven track record for drafting well.

I suspect, what we are going to get is Peyton and no FO experience and we will just have to wait and see if he's a winner or a loser. It could turn out to be great or it could just as easly, turn out to be another Haslam disaster.

Whoever we get will have plenty of cap space and draft picks. It seems like Sashi for all that he hasn't done here, set himself up for a huge off season. Shoot with the money and picks he has I'm sure I, with all my Monday morning GMing, could hit a grand slam for this squad. Maybe this was his plan? Eat the football equivalent of generic raemen noodles for 2 seasons then in the 3rd season use all of the resources we have been hording to morph into a dominate team. 

Part of me would like to think that whoever we have in charge has a master plan that they have yet to pull the pin on. The other part believes the FO is a frat house that leaves at 4 to make happy hour and could care less as long as Uncle Haslem keeps signing the checks. 

That is all

Mastercheddaar

1 hour ago, Iamcanadian said:

I really do not trust Haslam to make the right chose, but it's all in his pocket now. I want a GM who has extensive experience in scouting with a proven track record for drafting well.

I suspect, what we are going to get is Peyton and no FO experience and we will just have to wait and see if he's a winner or a loser. It could turn out to be great or it could just as easly, turn out to be another Haslam disaster.

Who are these guys with vast experience and success drafting players who are without a GM job already?

10 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Who are these guys with vast experience and success drafting players who are without a GM job already?

They either work for FOX (Jimmy Johnson), CBS (Bill Cowher as a coach/potential FO guy), ESPN (Kind of Herman Edwards), or are retired.

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Read the list, there are a lot of Director of Scouting types available along with assistant GM's and and VP or Director of Player Personnel, some will be future great GMs, but just like HC's, some will be total failures. It is all up to Haslam to spot the talented ones, good luck with that.

Just now, Iamcanadian said:

Read the list, there are a lot of Director of Scouting types available along with assistant GM's and and VP or Director of Player Personnel, some will be future great GMs, but just like HC's, some will be total failures. It is all up to Haslam to spot the talented ones, good luck with that.

They haven't proven anything, their bosses have. 

Haslam already spotted a guy he liked less than 2 years ago in Berry.  Is 18-20 months all he gets to prove himself?

Sounds impatient IMO.

1 minute ago, Mind Character said:

I give Hue final say, make Andrew Berry the GM, elevate grigson to player pro exec vp, keep Depodesta in the wings doing whatever the hell he's doing...

firing Sachi or keeping him in his place. 

I feel like what we are truly lacking is leadership .

Sachi is being as @LETSGOBROWNIES a nerd, not a leader. 

Maybe that is Jimmy's job. 

Winning is the medicine we need. However  I can't blame Hue for feeling under supported. How do you win the NFL with the worst, WR, the worst RB, and the worst QB> 

4 hours ago, Iamcanadian said:

Rather do this with Peyton Manning....who has ZERO football experience......than waiting on the guys we have in place, who are still learning on the job...this is year 2 (EVERYONE learns on the job if they have NEVER held that Job before) of a 4 year plan....and have clearly raised the talent level to the highest point its been in the past 10 years....to restart with a dude who is Fresh off the Docks and NEVER worked in a Front office in any capacity a day in his life? Hmmmmmm.....

I hear what everyone is saying about Peyton Manning......count me in the Skeptical side.....Just because you know how to Drive a Car to win the Championship Race....doesn't make you an expert on how to Build a Championship Caliber Race Car.....IMO

4 minutes ago, DaWg_LB. said:

Rather do this with Peyton Manning....who has ZERO football experience......than waiting on the guys we have in place, who are still learning on the job...this is year 2 (EVERYONE learns on the job if they have NEVER held that Job before) of a 4 year plan....and have clearly raised the talent level to the highest point its been in the past 10 years....to restart with a dude who is Fresh off the Docks and NEVER worked in a Front office in any capacity a day in his life? Hmmmmmm.....

I hear what everyone is saying about Peyton Manning......count me in the Skeptical side.....Just because you know how to Drive a Car to win the Championship Race....doesn't make you an expert on how to Build a Championship Caliber Race Car.....IMO

QTF

also the money we would have to pay the guy to compete with all his other earning opportunity would be outstanding.  

15 minutes ago, DaWg_LB. said:

The same folks that want him now and don't care about his inexperience will hate him when he makes mistakes related to inexperience. 

Archived