11. Washington 7-10

12. Minnesota Vikings 8-9

13. Cleveland Browns 8-9

14. Baltimore Ravens 8-9

15. Philadelphia Eagles (via Miami) 9-8

16. Philadelphia Eagles (via Indianapolis) 9-8

Edited by Louis Friend
  • Like 1

If there were a year where drafting 1 or 2 didn't make a difference, it's this year. Seeing Hutchinson being touted as #1 pick. He's probably the safest, but does he have the most upside? 

Even at 2 you can get a hell of a pass rusher, either Hutchinson or Thibodeaux. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

Current standings:

1. Jacksonville Jaguars 2-12

2. Detroit Lions 2-11-1

3. Houston Texans 3-11

4. New York Jets 3-11

5. New York Giants 4-10

Remaining schedules:

Jacksonville-  16. @New York Jets 17. @New England 18. vs Indianapolis

Detroit- 16. @ Atlanta 17. @ Seattle 18. vs Green Bay

Houston- 16. vs Los Angeles Chargers 17. @ San Francisco 18. vs. Tennessee

New York Jets- 16. vs Jacksonville 17. vs Tampa Bay 18. @ Buffalo

New York Giants- 16. @ Philadelphia 17. @ Chicago 18. vs Washington

Houston beating Jacksonville, although pushing us down to 2, actually works in our favor. Jags and Jets play next week and if Jacksonville wins, we move back to 1st.  Whereas, if Houston had lost today, and lost the remaining schedule, Detroit would never catch them. Unless Detroit beats Atlanta, I think the rest of the teams lose out. So Jags vs. Jets will have hug draft pick implications. 

Unless the Lions beat the Falcons lol.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

Could you imagine? I said last week we need to beat Denver or Atlanta. I didn't see us beating Arizona. But Atlanta is a team that is vulnerable. 

I made the joke last week that no matter what is happening with Goff, he always wakes up for Arizona and delivers lol. Didn't think he'd actually prove me right this week.

• Like 2

Lions also play well against Arizona. Don't know what it is. No matter how bad the team is, they find a way to beat the Cardinals. 

I remember the Lions in 2010 were 2-10 with 4 games to go and Schwartz challenged the team to go 4-0 in the final four games. And they did. They built momentum going into 2011 and made the playoffs. I don't expect the Lions to be in the playoffs next season, but winning late "meaningless" games have a habit of teaching young guys how to win going forward. 

I think the bigger thing is if we beat Atlanta, we need the Jets to beat Jax to stay in the top 3.  I do think that there are some players other than the pair of pass rushers that could move into that top 3.  Evan Neal and Kyle Hamilton both could sneak up there so even at 3, all is not lost.  I think the worst case scenario is Jax beats the Jets and we beat Atlanta and then end up with the 4th pick.  Also Seattle is not playing well as of late so they arent a for sure L either. 

I think we are finally creating a genuinely tough and resilient team so picking up one or two more wins might be the best thing for this group.  With no QB at the top of the draft and the depth of the DL group this year, we could get some more wins and still get a really good player.  George Karlaftis and DeMarvin Leal are top-shelf talents.  If we end up in a slightly lower draft position, a trade-down becomes more probable (just not out of the top 10).  An additional 2nd rounder would be really helpful at this stage of our re-build.  Devin Lloyd would be a great addition to our defense and his stock could really rise in the off-season.  

As far as QBs go, Desmond Ridder, Sam Howell and Malik Willis have some upside and will be worth a look with our second first-rounder.  Matt Coral is rated in the top of the first round but might need to add some weight (listed at 205) for serious consideration in the top half of round 1.  The mystery here is Kenny Pickett.  He has good size, good athletic ability and can make most of the throws you would want a QB to make.  He seems like a "high-floor" type of player but his upside is kind of tough to pin down.  The off-season evaluation process will be pretty important to all of the QBs this year.

On 12/19/2021 at 4:40 PM, Louis Friend said:

Updated: 12/26/21

Current standings:

1. Jacksonville Jaguars 2-13

2. Detroit Lions 2-12-1 (-0.5)

3. Houston Texans 4-11 (-2)

4. New York Giants 4-11 (-2)

5. New York Jets 4-11 (-2)

Remaining schedules:

Jacksonville-  17. @New England 18. vs Indianapolis

Detroit- 17. @ Seattle 18. vs Green Bay

Houston- 17. @ San Francisco 18. vs. Tennessee

New York Jets- 17. vs Tampa Bay 18. @ Buffalo

New York Giants- 17. @ Chicago 18. vs Washington

Houston beat the Chargers and the Jets beat the Jaguars. So Detroit has a 1.5 game cushion for the #2 pick. Detroit goes to Seattle next week, who just got eliminated from the playoffs by losing to Chicago. Detroit could win in Seattle and still maintain the #2 pick in the draft. I don't see Jacksonville winning another game. 

My dream scenario is beating the Pack to cost them the 1 seed and still get the number 2 pick. Along with the development we've seen from our young players, I'd be happy with this season.

22 minutes ago, detroitroar said:

My dream scenario is beating the Pack to cost them the 1 seed and still get the number 2 pick. Along with the development we've seen from our young players, I'd be happy with this season.

I just don't see the lions beating the Packers in Green Bay. Football Gods and the league will not allow it to happen. 

Detroit does have a shot at Seattle on Sunday, if Goff is back. And they'd keep the #2 pick. 

20 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

I just don't see the lions beating the Packers in Green Bay. Football Gods and the league will not allow it to happen. 

Detroit does have a shot at Seattle on Sunday, if Goff is back. And they'd keep the #2 pick. 

It's in Detroit. And yes, it would still take some divine intervention.

I was looking at WalterFootball (I know, they're hacks), and I think Charlie Campbell had Kenny Pickett going number 2 to Detroit.  If Detroit does that...well I don't know what I'd do, but I'd imagine puking would be involved. However if teams are possibly looking at him at #2, a trade down might not be such a bad idea.  I know I've really been on the Hutchison or bust bandwagon, but depending on what we got in return might be worth the trade. Does anyone see any teams they think might make a move for Pickett at 2, and if so what would you want in return from them?