Draft Pick Watch

Louis Friend

I like Brandon Smith and Damone Clarke as LBs to target in the 3rd round if we don't get Dean or Lloyd.  Both are big and athletic and I think they will move up boards as the draft approaches.  

@SimbaWho regarding Dean, I see him closer to Jeramiah Owusu-Koramoah.  He is versatile and fast enough to play in coverage as a three down LB.  Having a S/LB hybrid is almost imperative right now to handle the passing attacks in the league.  Times have changed and LBs arent all 260 any more. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I like Brandon Smith and Damone Clarke as LBs to target in the 3rd round if we don't get Dean or Lloyd.  Both are big and athletic and I think they will move up boards as the draft approaches.  

@SimbaWho regarding Dean, I see him closer to Jeramiah Owusu-Koramoah.  He is versatile and fast enough to play in coverage as a three down LB.  Having a S/LB hybrid is almost imperative right now to handle the passing attacks in the league.  Times have changed and LBs arent all 260 any more. 

For sure, which is something we've seen with JRM. However, we do need someone that can stop the run and we've struggled in coverage for a long time. Muma seems to be good in both of those areas. His level of competition is a concern but he seems to dominate from what I've seen in a short while on YT clips + PFF and stats seem to support it. 

14 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Marquese Bell out of Florida A&M is a guy that is intriguing in that role. 

15 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

And we could have had him, but they took Onwuzurike. UGH!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Yeah, I very much wanted JOK with that pick.  I still have high hopes for Levi, but he definitely didnt have the impact this year that JOK had. 

JOK has a very similar build to JRM. Barnes and Anzalone played the role of the bigger ILB. Would JOK have swapped in/out with JRM or played alongside him?

2 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

JOK has a very similar build to JRM. Barnes and Anzalone played the role of the bigger ILB. Would JOK have swapped in/out with JRM or played alongside him?

He does have a similar build but slightly different skill set.  JOK is better in coverage. Skill set wise he is more along the lines of a better version of Anzalone.  Especially on third down o cover TEs.  

6 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I never said that either...

We'll just have to sit back and see. I say Jabrill Peppers you say your favorite. Time will tell. It's fun to look back at things like this. Owusu has quite a bit more length actually than Dean does too but... again we'll see. Dean has his workouts and get we'll get the full picture here soon. He might run a 4.3 and change my mind.

Edited by SimbaWho

12 hours ago, SimbaWho said:

I never said that either...

We'll just have to sit back and see. I say Jabrill Peppers you say your favorite. Time will tell. It's fun to look back at things like this. Owusu has quite a bit more length actually than Dean does too but... again we'll see. Dean has his workouts and get we'll get the full picture here soon. He might run a 4.3 and change my mind.

Well, Peppers plays full time S and is 10 lbs lighter than Dean, where JOK is a LB who can cover and is only 5 lbs lighter than Dean.  Skill set dictates more than size, and Deans skill set has been playing the run and covering TEs from the LB spot.  JOK has that similar skill set where he can play around and at the line but can also cover where as Peppers is a guy who covers but can occasionally play at around the line.  Its not about picking favorites, its a completely different position. 

On 1/19/2022 at 8:43 AM, Sllim Pickens said:

Well, Peppers plays full time S and is 10 lbs lighter than Dean, where JOK is a LB who can cover and is only 5 lbs lighter than Dean.  Skill set dictates more than size, and Deans skill set has been playing the run and covering TEs from the LB spot.  JOK has that similar skill set where he can play around and at the line but can also cover where as Peppers is a guy who covers but can occasionally play at around the line.  Its not about picking favorites, its a completely different position. 

An I said Ok pal...We'll sit back and watch. 

You may not be wrong.

Edited by SimbaWho

Dean is a lot more Devin Bush/Patrick Queen than JOK or any other hybrid player. I think his coverage ability will likely be a liability in the NFL. He would be best served on a very zone heavy team were he never rarely has to turn his back on the qb or cover TE’s 1 on 1.  He’s also not quite the athlete people seem to suddenly think he is. He’s fast but I suspect he’s going to time a little slower than people are expecting.  He’s a downhill thumper that can run and cover the flats as well as being an exceptional blitzer ( guys in front of him make this a little tougher of an evaluation).  I see alot of Devin Bush here.

1 hour ago, Lions017 said:

Glad to see Stafford win. I don't think that the value of that pick changes a whole lot late in the first round. It's still a great asset. 

I feel like the lower it goes, the better shot that we have of trading out of it and gaining additional assets. There will be a QB that will intrigue a team but doesn't need them as an instant starter. 

A team like Atlanta could be such a team.

1) Matt Ryan: They've indicated they want to move forward with Matt Ryan in 2022. This doesn't mean he's going to be a long-term option

2) #8 Pick: The Falcons could use this to take someone like Matt Corral, Kenny Pickett, etc. if they're available. However, there's also a lot of talented players who could be available within the top 10 that cold provide immediate help. If Brady retires, there' turmoil in Tampa; Carolina is still trying to reset at QB and New Orleans is in major cap trouble/Sean Payton may not be there for long. 

3) Using future assets to get a jump on development: There could be value added in drafting a QB and having the ability to let them sit and develop. A 1st rounder also provides the 5th year option, which is an extremely valuable asset in team building. 

Assuming the Rams win the SB (pick#32)

• 2018 - Baltimore trades up to #32 to draft Lamar Jackson

Sends 2018 2nd round pick, 2018 4th round pick, 2019 2nd round pick for #32 (2018) and 2018 4th

• 2014 - Vikings trade up to #32 for Teddy Bridgewater

Vikings trade 2014 2nd(#40) and 2014 4th for #32

Looking forward to Free Agency and the Draft, I wanted to take a closer look at a couple options for the Lions and see how they might fit on our roster. Does the player have a future role? Will they solve a key problem for us? 

SAFETY

Lions Free Agents

Tracy Walker (26.9) - UFA

• PFF  - 65.1 OVR; 66.4 RDEF; 58.1 PRSH; 64.2 COV
  • Snaps: FS - 615; SCB - 94; LB - 73; SS - 72; 

Estimated 2022 Contract - $3M - $4M (Using Spotrac projection of Xavier Woods > similar age/PFF score)

CJ Moore (26.1) - RFA

• PFF  - 59.2 OVR; 49.7 RDEF; 55.9 PRSH; 62.3 COV
  • Snaps: FS - 61; LB - 39; SCB - 37; SS - 6; 

Dean Marlowe (29.5) - UFA

• PFF  - 61.6 OVR; 54.0 RDEF; 64.1 PRSH; 63.0 COV
  • Snaps: FS - 388; LB - 134; SCB - 81; SS - 56; 

Lions Rostered Players

Will Harris (26.1)

• PFF  - 41.0 OVR; 51.6 RDEF; 50.3 PRSH; 39.6 COV
  • Snaps: FS - 317; SCB - 238; OCB - 227; LB - 142; SS - 53; 

OTHER GUYS

• Jalen Elliott
  • Brady Breeze

The Lions MIGHT re-sign Walker, depending on what his contract holds. It's evident that they need to upgrade the position in a big way. Whether it's by bringing in a FA (or a couple FA's) and/or the draft, this is a position that needs some work. 

FREE AGENT TARGETS

Marcus Williams (25.3), FS, New Orleans

• PFF  - 80.1 OVR; 68.1 RDEF; N/A PRSH; 84.3 COV
  • Snaps: FS - 922; SS - 51; LB - 36; SCB - 21;  

Estimated 2022 Contract - $13.5M via Spotrac

Williams could be a direct replacement and major upgrade over Walker. It would still leave a gap at SS. 

DRAFT (TBD - ADDING A COUPLE GUYS)

Jaquan Brisker, Penn State

• PFF  - 82.4 OVR; 67.4 RDEF; 61.9 PRSH; 89.5 COV
  • Snaps: LB - 246; SS - 187; FS - 165; SCB - 153;

Markquese Bell, Florida A&M

• PFF  - 81.5 OVR; 88.4 RDEF; 72.0 PRSH; 78.5 COV
  • Snaps: SCB - 195; SS - 189; FS - 177; LB - 111;
Edited by Karnage84
  • Like 1