Head Coach Firing/Hiring/Interview Rumors

Broncofan

On 12/26/2021 at 8:52 AM, WheatieMan said:

The fact that McCarthy showed up on the job as overweight as he was told me everything I needed to know. Do you really have the stamina to go over hours of film and real time game management drills when you are that big? It’s not like his track record is as good as Reid’s either. Seems like he’s riding the coattails of a talented roster. Unless he gets Dallas close to a SB or the SB itself, he shouldn’t be back…. Unless the team just plays horribly and Dak turns it over 5 times.

First, it doesn't take much physical stamina to sit through anything.  And obesity has little effect on mental stamina.

Second, maybe he does so much film study with food at hand that it leads to the weight problem.  No time for exercise either.

The comments this week.  This, the thread about Brady needing to win 13 SBs to be the best nonsense, plus the endless ridiculous takes in the Lawrence thread.  

Edited by INbengalfan
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

The comments this week.  This, the thread about Brady needing to win 13 SBs to be the best nonsense, plus the endless ridiculous takes in the Lawrence thread.  

Just seems like par for the course in NFL Gen tbh…

• Like 2

On 12/26/2021 at 7:52 AM, WheatieMan said:

The fact that McCarthy showed up on the job as overweight as he was told me everything I needed to know. Do you really have the stamina to go over hours of film and real time game management drills when you are that big? It’s not like his track record is as good as Reid’s either. Seems like he’s riding the coattails of a talented roster. Unless he gets Dallas close to a SB or the SB itself, he shouldn’t be back…. Unless the team just plays horribly and Dak turns it over 5 times.

Would you have fired Madden for being out of shape too?

It seems to me that his record is VERY similar to that of Andy Reid.  Both of them have won a Super Bowl and numerous division titles.  In his second year as head coach (with the first year being a weird Covid season), Mike McCarthy has the Cowboys in a position where they could have the #1 seed in the playoffs.  I'm not sure what more people can ask of him. 

Edited by Uncle Buck

On 12/26/2021 at 8:02 AM, notthatbluestuff said:

What does McCarthy's weight have to do with his ability to watch film? 

yeah If anything, it likely means hes watching more film.

give me a fat coach over those movie star ones like mcvay who are likely doing other things to stay fit

12 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

Would you have fired Madden for being out of shape too?

It seems to me that his record is VERY similar to that of Andy Reid.  Both of them have won a Super Bowl and numerous division titles.  In his second year as head coach (with the first year being a weird Covid season), Mike McCarthy has the Cowboys in a position where they could have the #1 seed in the playoffs.  I'm not sure what more people can ask of him. 

Nah, remember Wade Phillips going 12-4 or 13-3 in 07', only to lose to the Giants? They had a talented roster and capitalized on a weak conference overall that year. While the conference has been solid this year, the NFC East has been in the gutters for a long while. Rarely, have you had two double digit win teams coming out of there in the past 5-6 years. It's just been a horrible division, and the Cowboys have avoided critical injuries, unlike last year (they would have won the division also had they stayed healthier). 

Ultimately, the team will be judged on how they play divisional weekend. I think the fact they have have Zona and Philly to finish helps keep them hot against solid clubs, so long as they avoid injuries and COVID. By the looks of it, they will not get the bye unless Minnesota plays a complete game and beats the Packers.

Edited by WheatieMan

Ultimately, mental stamina is becoming more of a young man's game. Do you see Poker players in their 50's and 60's winning these super long tournaments? Gone are the days of Money Maker and the other big players in the WSOP. These are young, sharp, guys with incredible acumen. Chess... Go, it's the same type of players at the top. Young and relatively healthy. You peak at 35-45. Of course Bill is an exception but he's not obese for his age bracket. I just don't think McCarthy will demonstrate the fitness for the job if he cannot replenish the talented coaching staff or saddle the roster with elite players. He'll get one more year even if he's one and done, but he's gonzo by 23' or 24' if the team falters.

On 12/27/2021 at 6:43 AM, vikingsrule said:

Could honestly see Zimmer going the retirement route too. We forget how old he is and he’s got a young and really attractive model for a girl friend so I’d say he’s done well for himself as a NFL coach. Couldn’t get it done as a head coach, just feel the nfl is passing him by. 

Got any visuals?

3 hours ago, .Buzz said:

I really felt like Culley was hired to be a one year guy because noone wanted that job with the Watson wanting out drama. I wouldn't even be shocked if they told him you get one year but we will pay you how ever many years the contract is for (I think coaching contracts are fully guaranteed) unless he wins an absurd amount of games.

20 hours ago, Malfatron said:

yeah If anything, it likely means hes watching more film.

give me a fat coach over those movie star ones like mcvay who are likely doing other things to stay fit

Saints didn’t figure things out defensively until Payton developed small breasts. 

I think you’re on to something. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, .Buzz said:

I'd put a 90% that this happens. The team drafted well, the GM and other GM are lockstep and they need a fall guy. The team veterans, fair or not, were not buying what Culley has been selling. It makes too much sense. Bellichik probably won't retire any time soon now that he has his new QB clicking in year-one. Josh's time

*dramatic pause*

is now.