Head Coach Firing/Hiring/Interview Rumors

Broncofan

@skywindO2

https://theathletic.com/3108906/2022/02/03/from-jim-harbaugh-to-kevin-oconnell-an-inside-look-at-a-shocking-day-amid-the-vikings-coaching-search/

When Ryans withdrew his name from the running, speculation swirled that he knew something, perhaps that the job was being steered toward another candidate. The Vikings’ search committee flew to Los Angeles and interviewed O’Connell and Morris on Monday. Both conversations went well, but O’Connell “blew them away,” according to a source. He had studied the team’s roster from the previous season. He came prepared with ideas on how to improve the team and was able to offer a nuanced review of quarterback Kirk Cousins, whom he coached for one season in Washington.

O’Connell quickly became the favorite of the search committee, which was looking to overhaul the working environment at team headquarters, prioritizing leadership, inclusivity and collaboration after the front office, coaching staff and roster fractured under the pressure on Spielman and Zimmer’s watch. O’Connell seemed to fit that style and mesh well with Adofo-Mensah’s measured approach. Leadership also believed O’Connell’s offensive background was more in line with where the game is going.

25 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Spielman ran that Vikings organization for the past decade. What issues have they had behind the scenes? The Vikings have been viewed as a rock solid organization for his entire tenure and consistently put a competitive product that was either in the playoffs or knocking on the door most every year.

From a draft/talent evaluation process, he’s been a very good drafter and built a strong FO that has had several members poached/interviewed by other franchises for FO roles/GM gigs.

It sure seems like you’re looking at a picture of Spielman and calling him a “snake oil salesman”, which is interesting. Unless you have something else you’re using to come to that conclusion.

Well he and Zimmer werent speaking their last few months together, and he took some side shots at Zimmer after he left. Ive seen interviews where he blamed having too many offensive coordinators for some of the failures.

To me it seems like he looks the part, but its always somebody else’s fault. The guy can really sell himself well to ownership though, Guy got to draft Ponder, and signed Cousins afterall. Great drafter, even got Mike Hughes 

With Baalke you already have a built in guy whos known for his drama, leaks, and power struggles.

To me a snake oil salesman, is a guy whos really selling the idea of himself and his panacea to fix your woes. When really he just wants your money. 

12 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

Well he and Zimmer werent speaking their last few months together, and he took some side shots at Zimmer after he left. Ive seen interviews where he blamed having too many offensive coordinators for some of the failures.

To me it seems like he looks the part, but its always somebody else’s fault. The guy can really sell himself well to ownership though, Guy got to draft Ponder, and signed Cousins afterall. Great drafter, even got Mike Hughes 

With Baalke you already have a built in guy whos known for his drama, leaks, and power struggles.

To me a snake oil salesman, is a guy whos really selling the idea of himself and his panacea to fix your woes. When really he just wants your money. 

Is any of that wrong? Pretty widely viewed they consistently had a very talented team that never could get over the hump. Maybe he made a mistake by keeping Zimmer that long I guess? But from a draft perspective since he’s been there, the Vikings have definitely been among one of the better drafting teams in football. Everyone has misses, so the whole Mike Hughes thing doesn’t matter much to me. 

Zimmer and Spielman were one of the longest tenured GM/HC combos in football. If they were constantly pointing fingers I don’t think that happens. 

As far as Baalke I don’t think anyone disagrees that he’s a cancer. Somehow lasted through Harbaugh, hired Tomsula and fired him after a year, and then was afforded the opportunity to hire Chip Kelly in SF as well.That’s not normal.

20 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Is any of that wrong? Pretty widely viewed they consistently had a very talented team that never could get over the hump. Maybe he made a mistake by keeping Zimmer that long I guess? But from a draft perspective since he’s been there, he’s definitely been among one of the better drafting teams in football. Everyone has misses, so the whole Mike Hughes thing doesn’t matter much to me. 

Zimmer and Spielman were one of the longest tenured GM/HC combos in football. If they were constantly pointing fingers I don’t think that happens. 

Don’t think anyone disagrees Baalke is a cancer. Somehow lasted through Harbaugh, hired Tomsula and fired him after a year, and then was afforded the opportunity to hire Chip Kelly. That’s not normal.

I mean just read this paragraph

54 minutes ago, Xenos said:

which was looking to overhaul the working environment at team headquarters, prioritizing leadership, inclusivity and collaboration after the front office, coaching staff and roster fractured under the pressure on Spielman and Zimmer’s watch. O’Connell seemed to fit that style and mesh well with Adofo-Mensah’s measured approach. 

Seems to be pretty plain to me. Lots of finger pointing and drama behind the scenes going on there. Well everybody says that when they hire new guys

Just Zimmers fault right?

he found some solid talent, but his drafting is littered with bad first round picks. And like Im going through his last few drafts , and they really dont look good.

Guy got to draft Christian Ponder and sign Kirk Cousins, and doesnt get much blame for how badly things turned out with Zimmer. Screw Snakeoil the guy is a cockroach, a survivor.

20 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

Seems to be pretty plain to me. Lots of finger pointing and drama behind the scenes going on there. Well everybody says that when they hire new guys

he found some solid talent, but his drafting is littered with bad first round picks. And like Im going through his last few drafts , and they really dont look good.

Guy got to draft Christian Ponder and sign Kirk Cousins, and doesnt get much blame for how badly things turned out with Zimmer. Screw Snakeoil the guy is a cockroach, a survivor.

We just completely disagree here. I’m not saying Spielman is purely sunshine and rainbows and he has no faults, but what you’re looking at is what happens in most organizations, especially 8 years working together and not winning a Super Bowl. 

You keep going back to Cousins who is/has been a consistently top 12-14 QB in football. That was a good move for a team that had the talent but needed a QB without many options. I’m not sure why you keep going back to that as some ding. Ponder, sure. 

As far as him missing on a few first round picks, what teams haven’t? He’s still been one of the better overall talent evaluators in football.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Trentwannabe said:

I like this hire for Daboll. 

Hey my text joke was right!

Love this hiring; I honestly wanted the Giants to interview him for HC. Not that he would have been a strong candidate, but I think you should take advantage of an opportunity like a coaching vacancy to take stock of the rest of the league and talk to the brightest minds on both sides of the ball. I think Kafka, along with a bunch of others, is one of those guys. His extremely quick ascent under Reid is very encouraging, and he's a smart dude.

I still remember when the Eagles drafted him. Am I getting old?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/02/03/texans-reportedly-regard-brian-flores-as-a-finalist-for-their-head-coaching-vacancy/

Texans job seems to be down to Jonathan Gannon, Brian Flores, and Josh McCown (lol).

So... it's probably going to be Gannon.

Don't understate the stupidity in that building. McCown is going to be a part of the organization in some capacity.

If it's HC, it's HC.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Hey my text joke was right!

Love this hiring; I honestly wanted the Giants to interview him for HC. Not that he would have been a strong candidate, but I think you should take advantage of an opportunity like a coaching vacancy to take stock of the rest of the league and talk to the brightest minds on both sides of the ball. I think Kafka, along with a bunch of others, is one of those guys. His extremely quick ascent under Reid is very encouraging, and he's a smart dude.

I still remember when the Eagles drafted him. Am I getting old?

Wait I thought you knew before you made that joke. You didn’t? 😆

23 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

It seems like it became a fractured relationship after 8 years together which happens. Though from everything I read, it sounded like more of a Zimmer issue. Also, you at least don’t have to worry about leaks with Spielman.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chiefer said:

Ponder was drafted when they had the infamous triangle of authority and were desperate for a QB during the offseason with the Lockdown

• Like 1