Head Coach Firing/Hiring/Interview Rumors

Broncofan

35 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

I’m really the league goes 9/9 for the hirings just to see what happens next. 

Media writes some stories, people express their outrage. 

NFL stands on some platitudes, proceeds to cash checks. 

• Like 4

2014: Baalke fires Jim Harbaugh, a former player in the NFL who later moved into coaching and got his first head coaching job in college before moving up to the NFL. During his tenure Harbaugh led his team to its first conference championship appearance since the 90s and first playoff appearance in a decade, but ultimately fell short of a Super Bowl victory and saw their window close.

2015: After just one year, Baalke fires Harbaugh's successor, Jim Tomsula, after a disastrous season in which it becomes clear that Tomsula is not cut out to be a head coach in the NFL.

2016: Baalke hires former Eagles head coach Chip Kelly, who was fired from his last job after clashing with Howie Roseman during his tenure.

Flash forward to 2020: Baalke fires Doug Marrone, a former player in the NFL who later moved into coaching and got his first head coaching job in college before moving up to the NFL. During his tenure Marrone led his team to its first conference championship appearance since the 90s and first playoff appearance in a decade, but ultimately fell short of a Super Bowl victory and saw their window close.

2021: After just one year, Baalke fires Marrone's successor, Urban Meyer, after a disastrous season in which it becomes clear that Meyer is not cut out to be a head coach in the NFL.

2022: Baalke hires former Eagles head coach Doug Pederson, who was fired from his last job after clashing with Howie Roseman during his tenure.

Just thought the parallels here were interesting.

Edited by jonnguy2015
  • Like 5

The most head coach openings we’ve seen in a while. The most legitimate minority candidates we’ve seen in a while. Yet we could have none hired in this coaching cycle. 

That’s alarmingly disappointing. Even if one is hired at this point, 1/9 still isn’t good.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Forge said:

Yep. But that team will remain largely the same and that team was pretty good outside the QB situation

Prior to Jameis getting hurt, they were 5-2 (w/ 10+ pt. wins vs Packers, Pats, and Bucs) and Jameis had a 14-3 td-int ratio, so if he can come back and play at that level the QB situation looks a lot better. 

I'm interested in seeing Josh McCown as HC

It is easy to write it off as something that won't work out, and it probably won't... but its also different.  And who knows?  I'd argue success at HC is largely a crapshoot.  There are guys who you feel more or less comfortable about.  But really, ultimately, it can be kind of unpredictable who ends up having the most success unless you're dealing with rockstar offensive coordinator like a Kyle Shanahan.   

I'm rooting for McCown though, if he gets hired.  I think it would be a really fun story, and it would be interesting to see if it led to other teams devaluing experience.  At least coaching experience.  I think there is a lot of value in the fact McCown was a back-up in so many different offensive systems.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

I'm rooting for McCown though, if he gets hired.  

Ugh... Given where he's potentially going and their lack of common sense, it's pretty much guaranteed he's set up to fail. There is no logic in that building, winning football games isn't the goal in Houston. 

This isn't the NBA where you could get successful runs from Steve Nash, Jason Kidd or Steve Kerr - an NFL HC is overseeing a 53 man roster, a 12 person taxi squad, a 20+ person coaching/intern/assistant staff; It's nice that he knows so much about offensive systems, but that is a miniscule aspect of what his job will be. Hiw does Lovie Smith - who was a HC at two spots and even took a team to a SB - going to respond when McCown tells him what to do, or gets upset when something doesn't work well on that side of the ball (a side that McCown has NO experience with)?

It's a disaster, and it's a sign there is no accountability for those at the top of the organization.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ET80 said:

This isn't the NBA where you could get successful runs from Steve Nash, Jason Kidd or Steve Kerr - an NFL HC is overseeing a 53 man roster, a 12 person taxi squad, a 20+ person coaching/intern/assistant staff; It's nice that he knows so much about offensive systems, but that is a miniscule aspect of what his job will be. Hiw does Lovie Smith - who was a HC at two spots and even took a team to a SB - going to respond when McCown tells him what to do, or gets upset when something doesn't work well on that side of the ball (a side that McCown has NO experience with)?

I'm with you.  I don't think it is a good idea.  Not a decision I would make.

But I just don't think I can completely write it off because it is such an unfamiliar situation in the NFL.  I'm sure people felt similarly about Doc Rivers when he became the Magics HC with 0 experience.  And IIRC, Kerr had plenty of skeptics too. 

I think Lovie Smith would respect what McCown told him to do (otherwise why join his staff anyway?), unless McCown was being disrespectful (and McCown seems like a great guy).  And it isn't like he's some young pup - he's 42 years old.  At the end of the day coaches are going to be professionals and if you give respect, respect will be given to you.  Meyer got no respect from anyone not because he never coached in the NFL, but because he's a you-know-what.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

I'm interested in seeing Josh McCown as HC

It is easy to write it off as something that won't work out, and it probably won't... but its also different.  And who knows?  I'd argue success at HC is largely a crapshoot.  There are guys who you feel more or less comfortable about.  But really, ultimately, it can be kind of unpredictable who ends up having the most success unless you're dealing with rockstar offensive coordinator like a Kyle Shanahan.   

I'm rooting for McCown though, if he gets hired.  I think it would be a really fun story, and it would be interesting to see if it led to other teams devaluing experience.  At least coaching experience.  I think there is a lot of value in the fact McCown was a back-up in so many different offensive systems.

It's abysmal, cultish levels of bizarro world. He is getting job because of his evangelic friendship was a fraudster who is in a big part responsible for the destruction of a NFL franchise. It is the worst example of NFL giving white guys jobs they wouldn't even consider a black guy with the same background for. Jacoby Brissett/Geno Smith will likely have extremely similar careers to McCown, if it was them instead of him in this situation anyone saying they'd even be considered is just being plain dishonest. 

• Like 1

I'm not a big fan of Pederson but at least he's an actual NFL head coach. Huge step up from Meyer, no question. Let's see how Lawrence develops under him. A lot will depend on the staff that Pederson can get together - and wasn't one of his main gripes in Philly that he was unable to choose his own staff by the end?

Edited by notthatbluestuff

34 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

But I just don't think I can completely write it off because it is such an unfamiliar situation in the NFL.  I'm sure people felt similarly about Doc Rivers when he became the Magics HC with 0 experience.  And IIRC, Kerr had plenty of skeptics too. 

The NBA is such a different animal though - 12 players, maybe 2-3 different assistants - perhaps there's more of an emphasis on working with a GM for roster management, but the prep time and lead up to games is so much shorter, so that preparation isn't going to be the same. 

My thoughts are that an NBA coach can be more reactive to circumstances because the season is so dense with games (not sure if dense is the right word to use here). Transitions between playing and coaching is a bit easier in those circumstances, IMO. An NFL HC almost has to be pragmatic, simply because the six days between games and the preparation needed on both sides of the ball to get ready for gameday is a full time job in itself. 

I could get behind McCown getting experience in Houston, get an assistant HC tag while serving as a QB coach and passing game coordinator - hell, I'd be excited about that, it would put McCown in a sweet spot where his experience as a player could be focused on a job that's aligned with that experience. That would be a FANTASTIC hire, I'd rally around that hire.

But, the big job? Yeesh, I'd put the odds of failure at nearly 100%. It COULD work, but that would probably be due to sheer dumb luck.

30 minutes ago, Charles said:

Topic locked in 3,2,1....

Don't quit your day job.

40 minutes ago, Jraider91 said:

It is the worst example of NFL giving white guys jobs they wouldn't even consider a black guy with the same background for. Jacoby Brissett/Geno Smith will likely have extremely similar careers to McCown, if it was them instead of him in this situation anyone saying they'd even be considered is just being plain dishonest. 

I understand this is a semi-relevant topic with Brian Flores and his lawsuit, but let's keep that information aside until we see more from the lawsuit. Right now, as it relates to the Texans - it's speculation. If we hear more, we'll discuss in detail.

Thanks!

5 hours ago, TitanSlim said:

The most head coach openings we’ve seen in a while. The most legitimate minority candidates we’ve seen in a while. Yet we could have none hired in this coaching cycle. 

That’s alarmingly disappointing. Even if one is hired at this point, 1/9 still isn’t good.

Outside of Leftwich though - the trend in the NFL, at least one of the most prominent ones, is former QB's as the flavor du jour at HC because "it's a QB driven league" and "everyone wants that electric passing attack" - and, well... I don't need to tell you about the relative dearth of minority QB's that played professionally relative to non-minority.

You realize the solution, right?

Someone needs to track down Jamarcus Russell, get him on Noom and P-90X, and... wait, nevermind, JaWalrus never had a leadership quality to hang his hat on.  Hey @ET80where's you boy QB10?