Head Coach Firing/Hiring/Interview Rumors

Broncofan

If Zimmer can make some adjustments to how he approaches the end of the half defense (2 min drills), then someone is getting a very good DC imo. Vikings defense has suffered lot of injuries over the last 2 seasons and most importantly, Hunter missing meant pass rush was extremely hard to generate unless they blitzed. Vikings had worst Edge Group and worst CB group in NFL last season. Despite this, Zimmer did an ok job defensively except when it comes to end of the half defenses which were historically worst in NFL history. 

Edited by SotanKing

9 hours ago, SotanKing said:

If Zimmer can make some adjustments to how he approaches the end of the half defense (2 min drills), then someone is getting a very good DC imo. Vikings defense has suffered lot of injuries over the last 2 seasons and most importantly, Hunter missing meant pass rush was extremely hard to generate unless they blitzed. Vikings had worst Edge Group and worst CB group in NFL last season. Despite this, Zimmer did an ok job defensively except when it comes to end of the half defenses which were historically worst in NFL history. 

The issue wasn’t that bad two years ago when the defense actually had difference makers and wasn’t a complete train wreck. I wouldn’t trust Zimmer to rebuild a defense at this point but if he can go to a place that already has a bunch of talent and he can simply focus on his scheme, I think that would work. Wouldn’t trust him at this point to really coach anyone up or have masterful game plans, seems he’s going to more or less lean on talent and call fairly vanilla stuff. But maybe it’ll be different if he’s not worrying about what the GM or offense is doing and he can focus on just one side of the ball.

11 hours ago, Forge said:

I sure wouldn't want him as a head coach.  His attitude was so bad for the last few weeks in Minnesota that it really turned me off on him.  A DC position might be OK for some teams, but I think a year off to recharge his batteries would do him a lot of good.

19 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

I sure wouldn't want him as a head coach.  His attitude was so bad for the last few weeks in Minnesota that it really turned me off on him.  A DC position might be OK for some teams, but I think a year off to recharge his batteries would do him a lot of good.

I wouldn’t trust Zimmer at this point to really develop players from scratch or having a masterful scheme but I could see him having some success if he goes to a team that already has some established talent. Zimmer really struggled developing young defensive players in MN after really his first few years. Seems he lost the energy probably due being distracted at regularly having to change the offense or dealing with Spielman who seemed to really sour on the org too, seems the relationship went to crap about the time Cousins was signed. I know Zimmer was a Teddy guy and feared that the defense would drop off significantly with a Cousins contract. Which it did, but you can’t blame that on the Cousins contract, rather poor first round picks from 2016-2019, one of those picks was traded for Bradford.

Edited by vikingsrule

7 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I wouldn’t trust Zimmer at this point to really develop players from scratch or having a masterful scheme but I could see him having some success if he goes to a team that already has some established talent. Zimmer really struggled developing young defensive players in MN after really his first few years. Seems he lost the energy probably due being distracted at regularly having to change the offense or dealing with Spielman who seemed to really sour on the org too, seems the relationship went to crap about the time Cousins was signed. I know Zimmer was a Teddy guy and feared that the defense would drop off significantly with a Cousins contract. Which it did, but you can’t blame that on the Cousins contract, rather poor first round picks from 2016-2019, one of those picks being traded for Bradford.

You make some good points, but I've just come to the conclusion that Mike is one of those guys who is just better off as a coordinator.  He is a great coordinator, and only a good head coach.  His whole "grumpy guy" act wore thin on the fans, and I think on the players too during the last few years.

As you mentioned, he seemed more engaged in the offense before Teddy got hurt.  It's a shame that had to happen, because Teddy was starting to show some real promise. 

With Cousins, the situation was somewhat reminiscent of the days of Burnsie when we gave up all those picks for Herschel Walker.  Burnsie seemed to resent spending all that capital on the offensive side of the ball.  With Kirk, we didn't give up draft picks, but his massive salary prevented Zim from doing other things he would have liked to do. 

As far as Spielman is concerned, I never got the impression that he had any problems with the ownership.  It sounds like he could be headed to Jacksonville, and I was thrilled to hear that news.  Not all of his picks worked out, but he had a lot of them that did.  He would be a massive improvement over what they have had there with Trent Baalke.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we get him.

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

This makes me think that my employer is slacking. I didn't interview anywhere close to 10 hours for my job

My three interviews were about a combined 1.5 hours, maybe? I had a presentation that ran an hour for interview #2, but the first with the hiring manager and the last with his boss was 15 minutes each at most.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Forge said:

This makes me think that my employer is slacking. I didn't interview anywhere close to 10 hours for my job

I hear they got off track a bit and spent a few hours going down the slide at the practice facility. 

1:21