Head Coach Firing/Hiring/Interview Rumors

Broncofan

2 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

People can challenge him while also having worked with him in the past/being coaches he trusts.

Press was viewed as an up and coming bright offensive mind until the whole Wentz ordeal.

Press Taylor and Mike Groh are "yes men."

Just now, .Buzz said:

Reich sure seemed to have scooped him and Groh up right when he could. So much for Doug being the only one who hires people he knows well and is comfortable with…

Yeah, I mean I get that in the NFL they usually hire who they know, but Press was responsible for letting Carson slack off. Reich and DeFilippo as more experienced coaches were a lot tougher on Carson those first two years and then after his big 2017 season I think he got more of an ego and didn't want to be coached and thought he knew everything. Maybe that is more on Wentz than it is Taylor, but still it isn't a great look.

Honestly I'm just not sure what Taylor did so well in his time with the Eagles, but I would assume Pederson would be calling plays, so it's not like he's gonna hurt you there. I just would much prefer a Pep Hamilton who has a clear history of QB development during his coaching career.

6 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Ideally we somehow land Pep, but an OC title without playcalling attached is going to have its hurdles. 

My fear is that Hamilton is just one of two external minority candidates that they have to interview before being able to hire Taylor.

And, yes that last part you brought up about the play calling is a definite obstacle. Obviously if the Texans hire Lovie Smith he would be able to call plays, whereas in Jacksonville he probably wouldn't.

8 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Very well could be the case. Doesn’t change what I said.

You were responding to a point I made, so it certainly disputes what you said. Pederson needs to hire people who are going to challenge him. After Reich and co. left, he lacked that in Philly, and we saw the results. McVay had a similar issue after a bunch of our coaches were hired away, which led to him bringing in Kevin O'Connell and shaking up the staff a lot.

8 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

You were responding to a point I made, so it certainly disputes what you said. Pederson needs to hire people who are going to challenge him. After Reich and co. left, he lacked that in Philly, and we saw the results. McVay had a similar issue after a bunch of our coaches were hired away, which led to him bringing in Kevin O'Connell and shaking up the staff a lot.

Because I don’t have a great read on how Doug and Press communicate, hence why I said “could be the case”.

Press had a super quick rise up the coaching ranks and from what I read for good reason. Seems to be a bright young mind (still at the age of 34) and would be imo a good hire for somewhere on staff (as Reich scooped him up right away).

As an OC? Not my first choice. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Because I don’t have a great read on how Doug and Press communicate, hence why I said “could be the case”.

Press had a super quick rise up the coaching ranks and from what I read for good reason. Seems to be a bright young mind (still at the age of 34) and would be imo a good hire for somewhere on staff (as Reich scooped him up right away).

As an OC? Not my first choice. 

That's a take I can agree with. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Very well could be the case. Doesn’t change what I said.

Really depends on Lawrence how much it affects him, if he's a self starter and is eager to be great...it's not so bad.

If he puts in the minimum effort and can't mentally hack it, it'll really exacerbate things.

Would worry me though if I were you guys that Doug couldn't come up with a better staff with a year off than the one that got him fired in Philly.