Head Coach Firing/Hiring/Interview Rumors

Broncofan

29 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

I mean he has a choice too. He did say he’s not just going to jump at any opportunity and wants it to be the right choice. He understands the game that’s being played and is going to be patient. Whenever he does get a shot there’s going to be immense pressure on him to win and win big because of all the discussion about his head coaching potential. Would you go to a team void of a Quarterback, in cap hell or that’s dysfunctional? There was only a couple good jobs available this year. 

Sure but that doesn’t change the fact so many teams chose not to interview him when they didn’t need permission.  That speaks volumes to their mindset on him. 

Just now, Broncofan said:

Sure but that doesn’t change the fact so many teams chose not to interview him when they didn’t need permission.  That speaks volumes to their mindset on him. 

They did need permission, his contract expired last week. You’re acting like it expired in January

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/02/15/sean-mcvay-on-if-hell-coach-rams-in-2022-well-see/

Via Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times, McVay was non-committal on Monday as he basked in the glow of the Rams’ 23-20 victory over the Cincinnati Bengals.

“We’ll see,” McVay said, when asked if he would coach the Rams in 2022.

“I’m just enjoying this moment right now. I’m really happy to be a part of this. Happy for that.”

Hmmmm.....

On 2/13/2022 at 1:31 PM, KingOfNewYork said:

They did need permission, his contract expired last week. You’re acting like it expired in January

I'm talking about OC hires (see OP below), not HC.   Teams are still going through OC hires even now.  The Raiders just hired their guy 2 days ago.    There was plenty of time for teams to inquire on him as a FA after the AFCCG.   No one did.  That speaks volumes to where teams see him IMO.

Edited by Broncofan

15 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

9 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Forgot who said it (I saw on twitter), but it was reported weeks ago that they thought both Payton and McVay might resign from coaching and go into broadcasting.

The alternate explanation is that McVay's time to leverage a "highest-salary in league" HC extension is now.   His contract expires after the 2023 season, there's no way they don't extend him before that season - so why wait a year on McVay's end?   He's never going to be in a better position to get top $ and for a crazy-long term of guaranteed years, too.  

I don't want to be that guy, but I think it's far more likely that McVay realizes that the Rams will just pay him an insane amount of money to overcome his wish to have more time with family if he simply makes that known publicly (although I do get the sentiment completely).  And to be clear - more power to him if that's the angle.  It's a business.   Teams would have no problem being as mercenary if they wanted to fire HC's for failures.

https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2022/02/13/rams-super-bowl-sean-mcvay-contract-extension/

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

The alternate explanation is that McVay's time to leverage a "highest-salary in league" HC extension is now.   His contract expires after the 2023 season, there's no way they don't extend him before that season - so why wait a year on McVay's end?   He's never going to be in a better position to get top $ and for a crazy-long term of guaranteed years, too.  

I don't want to be that guy, but I think it's far more likely that McVay realizes that the Rams will just pay him an insane amount of money to overcome his wish to have more time with family if he simply makes that known publicly (although I do get the sentiment completely).  And to be clear - more power to him if that's the angle.  It's a business.   Teams would have no problem being as mercenary if they wanted to fire HC's for failures.

https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2022/02/13/rams-super-bowl-sean-mcvay-contract-extension/

Definitely a possibility. But i feel like this rumor has followed McVay around for years. If it just came about a couple of days ago then i'd put more weight on that.

Florio also noted that O'Connell hasn't officially taken the Vikings job...he's speculating that LA may be trying to promote O'Connell themselves in case McVay does retire 

5 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

Definitely a possibility. But i feel like this rumor has followed McVay around for years. If it just came about a couple of days ago then i'd put more weight on that.

Florio also noted that O'Connell hasn't officially taken the Vikings job...he's speculating that LA may be trying to promote O'Connell themselves in case McVay does retire 

Well there’s zero chance LAR will let KOC walk until they have a commitment and resolution. 

If McVay retires more power to him.  If he gets the highest contract for a HC more power to him.   Neither outcome should be an issue, that’s my main point.   Nor should ppl be surprised if an extension is the result.  It’s still a business and he’s right to apply max leverage now.   

• Like 1

McVay retiring would be one of the biggest shockers in history. 

I almost want to see it just for the inevitable return in a few years. 

36 and having just won a Superbowl as a HC, no way he's gone for long imo.

But if he were to genuinely stay away for, say, 15 years to start a family and get some kids into high school, can you imagine the buzz when he finally came back? Would there be buzz at all after a long layoff? 

Drama made for Hollywood.

1 hour ago, ronjon1990 said:

But if he were to genuinely stay away for, say, 15 years to start a family and get some kids into high school, can you imagine the buzz when he finally came back? Would there be buzz at all after a long layoff? 

There's always the possible Raheem Morris would take over as HC, but with KOC now set to go to MIN, seems far more likely that McVay's getting extended.    Otherwise you'd have to think LAR would look to promote O'Connell instead.

5 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

I’ll I’m saying is I wish I could retire at 36 

• Like 1