Head Coach Firing/Hiring/Interview Rumors

Broncofan

21 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Why do I raise this now?

Because the rules on interviewing new coaching candidates have changed - and teams can now interview prospective HC candidates in the last 2 weeks of the regular season.   So if a HC is likely getting the ax, especially if teams have their eye on coordinators/assistants who are on playoff teams, then we could see an earlier wave of firings than Black Monday (Monday after Week 18 games are done).

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-teams-can-now-interview-head-coaching-candidates-during-last-two-weeks-of-se

In Denver, the call is already going out by reporters (not the team's beat reporters, though, to be clear - Kiszla is far from our best, but his voice isn't the only one now).   Fangio had a master class in how to fail game management at the end of the 1H and 2H...again.    

Something to watch for....

I want Fangio as DC for the Chargers! Or even as a defensive consultant somehow. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, EvilenFroggen said:

There's a lot of Rhule talk going around, and I'm not saying it won't happen.  What I am saying is that we have no idea how trigger happy Tepper is or isn't, so we'll have to boringly wait and see.

That’s a lot of money to waste if you don’t even give Rhule a third year. Honestly, you guys just need a QB and I think you would improve substantially.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

He's going to get hired as a DC, for sure.   No need to be a consultant (unless it's his choice to do less work).

The only problem is we technically have a DC in Hill even though Staley calls the defensive plays. I wish Fangio had been fired last year so that he could have been part of Staley’s staff instead.

Zimmer, Nagy, and Campbell are all up in the air for me, though I think Campbell has Detroit playing well enough to warrant a future despite the losses. 

Rhule should be gone soon. 

Judge is 50-50. 

Culley? 

Bisaccia should be but Mark won't. Fangio probably goes once they're out of playoff contention. 

I'd even say Saleh is probably on thin ice. I know the Jets have little talent, but God they look horrible. 

Overall, it could be a very different landscape next year with new coaches in:

Seattle, Las Vegas, Denver, Chicago, Houston*, Jacksonville, Carolina, New York (Giants). 

Could even see a world where any of Tampa, Dallas, New England, or even Miami come "available" due to retirement/pushing out the old to keep the new. Arians had his health stuff already and Tampa may not want to let Leftwich go with Arians' age. Dallas could (maybe should) push McCarthy out to keep Moore. Belichik, who knows lol. Miami could eventually just sour on Flores. 

13 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Dallas could (maybe should) push McCarthy out to keep Moore.

That's exactly what's going to happen after Dallas loses in the playoffs. Very little doubt in my mind that Jerry's isn't going to Wade Phillips McCarthy for wonder boy 2.0 after this season.

11 hours ago, .Buzz said:

There’s really not going to be many jobs this go around imo.

Nagy is definitely out. Maybe Judge? Maybe Fangio? Maybe Zimmer?

Gonna go with 4 total openings when it’s all said and done.

It feels tougher to call this season with obvious firings, but there’s usually always a couple of surprising ones that happen. There’s just not many really obvious lame duck coaches besides Nagy.

In addition to the Jaguars and Raiders jobs which are already open, I’ll say they’ll be joined by the Bears, Broncos, Panthers and Seahawks for 6 end of season vacancies. But only Rhule to go before the end.

Edited by Nightmare

14 hours ago, .Buzz said:

There’s really not going to be many jobs this go around imo.

Nagy is definitely out. Maybe Judge? Maybe Fangio? Maybe Zimmer?

Gonna go with 4 total openings when it’s all said and done.

Not counting the Raiders and Jags.... I'l add the Texans (maybe?)

When will Pete Carroll be on the hot seat?

16 minutes ago, kramxel said:

Not counting the Raiders and Jags.... I'l add the Texans (maybe?)

When will Pete Carroll be on the hot seat?

I don’t see Cullen getting canned with the setup he was given, but possible.

Carroll just signed an extension through 2026 last year, no?

2 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

I don’t see Cullen getting canned with the setup he was given, but possible.

Carroll just signed an extension through 2026 last year, no?

You're right, forgot about that.

Don't think he should be that safe, though.

Edited by kramxel