Head Coach Firing/Hiring/Interview Rumors

Broncofan

51 minutes ago, Falconof Shadows said:

I really felt like Culley was hired to be a one year guy because noone wanted that job with the Watson wanting out drama. I wouldn't even be shocked if they told him you get one year but we will pay you how ever many years the contract is for (I think coaching contracts are fully guaranteed) unless he wins an absurd amount of games.

Interesting that I wonder if Josh McDaniels coming in gets fences mended with Deshaun. Weirder stuff has happened. Clean slate? 🤔

1 hour ago, NudeTayne said:

Interesting that I wonder if Josh McDaniels coming in gets fences mended with Deshaun. Weirder stuff has happened. Clean slate? 🤔

Doubtful. Of course I'm nowhere near an expert but he seemingly had specific Go and HC options that he wanted and when it didn't go that way it was the final straw. I imagine if McDaniels was hired he's draft a QB of his choice.

• Like 1

https://theathletic.com/3039937/2021/12/31/trust-the-process-matt-rhule-facing-make-or-break-year-3-after-panthers-regression/

When head coaching vacancies emerged at USC and LSU this past fall, Matt Rhule told his Panthers’ players he could get one of the top college jobs and make more money but he wanted to be with them in Charlotte. Rhule’s comments, made during a team meeting, presumably were meant to assure his players of his belief in what he calls “the process,” which has come under increasing fire as the Panthers have lost 21 of 31 games under Rhule’s tenure.

They say Rhule — like a lot of ex-college coaches used to controlling every facet of the program — has the tendency to micromanage “everything that touches football,” as one source put it. Rhule has the final say on roster decisions

Sources also say Rhule sometimes gets concerned with seemingly trivial matters, pointing to one week when Rhule was upset when a player signed an autograph before a game.

Rhule needs to knock it out of the park with his OC choice next year, if he does indeed return.  

I didn't expect to make the playoffs this year, but last year we lost by an average of 9.2 points.  This year, we've lost by an average of 13.2 points and only 3 games we've lost by 7 or less.  And we made a $18m commitment to Darnold next year, for reasons.  This is just looking like a disaster.

10 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Pederson is a very safe choice. Probably won’t turn them into a contender but he’ll get them out of the cellar. 

Think after Jim Caldwell he’s probably tops for me.

If he and his coaching staff can develop/prioritize getting weapons for Trevor than I’m not sure on the latter, but that’s fair.

Moore/Leftwich and Hackett to a lesser extent are intriguing but the more I think about it the less in love with the idea of it I am. Just presents risk I’m not sure this organization can afford. Think I’d even prefer Bowles (pending offensive staff).

2 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Think after Jim Caldwell he’s probably tops for me.

If he and his coaching staff can develop/prioritize getting weapons for Trevor than I’m not sure on the latter, but that’s fair.

Moore/Leftwich and Hackett to a lesser extent are intriguing but the more I think about it the less in love with the idea of it I am. Just presents risk I’m not sure this organization can afford. Think I’d even prefer Bowles (pending offensive staff).

I could see Caldwell joining the staff. So they could essentially have both. 

I don’t understand the leftwitch love at all. I get he was their franchise qb for a while but hes just the guy holding the clipboard for Brady now. 

11 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

I could see Caldwell joining the staff. So they could essentially have both. 

I don’t understand the leftwitch love at all. I get he was their franchise qb for a while but hes just the guy holding the clipboard for Brady now. 

Jim seems to want a HC gig. Guess maybe down the line if he doesn’t get a different gig this cycle and really wants back into coaching he could? Not sure he has a connection to Doug.

I think I actually like Leftwich more than any of the other hot coordinators. He’s been heralded as a rising star since his days back in PIT. Think Brady has just accelerated his clock with all the success tbh. But I just don’t know if I love the fit here for the inexperience factor and if we do indeed keep Baalke the idea of him behind the scenes with a very green HC just sounds like a disaster. 

19 hours ago, Falconof Shadows said:

I really felt like Culley was hired to be a one year guy because noone wanted that job with the Watson wanting out drama. I wouldn't even be shocked if they told him you get one year but we will pay you how ever many years the contract is for (I think coaching contracts are fully guaranteed) unless he wins an absurd amount of games.

I'm pretty certain Culley is sticking around - simply because he's catching the bullets that should be aimed at Cal McNair and Jack Easterby. 

Neither Cal or Jack want to be held accountable for the collapse of the Texans, and Culley is taking the brunt of that accountability - which is that "Other duties as assigned by management" edict that's on some job descriptions.

The more the media goes on about Culley, the less they talk about Cal or Jack...

13 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I'm pretty certain Culley is sticking around - simply because he's catching the bullets that should be aimed at Cal McNair and Jack Easterby. 

Neither Cal or Jack want to be held accountable for the collapse of the Texans, and Culley is taking the brunt of that accountability - which is that "Other duties as assigned by management" edict that's on some job descriptions.

The more the media goes on about Culley, the less they talk about Cal or Jack...

Has a counterpoint to this wouldn't the media be going after Cal and Jack eventually if Kelly is still failing as a coach? Eventually they will have to hire a correct staff or they will just be keep being talked about as failures which is what they have been

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Pederson is a very safe choice. Probably won’t turn them into a contender but he’ll get them out of the cellar. 

What other HC candidate turns them "into" a contender, curious? I mean it comes down to drafting and acquiring the right players (GM) but who would get Jags players to buy into a belief, a process, a culture more then a HC 4 years removed from winning a SB for a city that's also never won one?

Interesting choice of words there. 🤔 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

What other HC candidate turns them "into" a contender, curious? I mean it comes down to drafting and acquiring the right players (GM) but who would get Jags players to buy into a belief, a process, a culture more then a HC 4 years removed from winning a SB for a city that's also never won one?

Interesting choice of words there. 🤔 

Also got a team that was 31st and 32nd in the NFL as far as injuries (meaning most injured) into the playoffs both years after the Super Bowl.

Feel like coaches who had gigs before are always tossed into the “safe, but limited upside” pool by most. 

54 minutes ago, Falconof Shadows said:

Has a counterpoint to this wouldn't the media be going after Cal and Jack eventually if Kelly is still failing as a coach? Eventually they will have to hire a correct staff or they will just be keep being talked about as failures which is what they have been

This cover from Culley has given them the opportunity to purge both the locker room and non-football operations - people who would speak up have been let go (Jamey Rootes, former President of the Texans) or traded/cut (Zach Cunningham, Mark Ingram, Charles Ominehu, Vernon Hargreaves, etc). I think we can all agree the only reason Deshaun Watson hasn't been traded is because he's under his investigation - he was the first one to speak up about Easterby and Cal, and had the legal issues not cropped up, he would have been sent away as well by now.

The Texans have locked down pretty much every leak, so they're operating in the clear now. Sure, there will be backlash about the lack of success, but hasn't that been the status quo with the Texans for 20 some years?