Head Coach Firing/Hiring/Interview Rumors

Broncofan

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

I can’t tell if Tony Pauline is a guy worth trusting. 0-1 if so this cycle.

Always remember him for his college news drops as far as guys declaring, and now with this new PFN thing he’s putting out bold NFL tidbits like the one regarding Culley being one and done.

16 hours ago, Malfatron said:

Can you blame Zimmer though?

Mond looked pretty terrible

Also, the guy who he wants to see is Cousins.  The narrative about Primetime Cousins aside, he's still got a year remaining on his contract, the club was largely competitive with Cousins under center, and Cousins has been having one of the better seasons of his career.  Why wouldn't Zimmer want to see that guy next week versus a 3rd round rookie QB who, on even the assumption he played reasonably well, would potentially start a media circus as to whether there shouldn't be a competition between him and Kirk going into camp?  This is people running with a gray narrative after the HC didn't give the media friendly answer - following a game where his team got their butts handed to them by a division rival.

• Like 4

On 12/31/2021 at 12:51 PM, .Buzz said:

Think after Jim Caldwell he’s probably tops for me.

If he and his coaching staff can develop/prioritize getting weapons for Trevor than I’m not sure on the latter, but that’s fair.

Moore/Leftwich and Hackett to a lesser extent are intriguing but the more I think about it the less in love with the idea of it I am. Just presents risk I’m not sure this organization can afford. Think I’d even prefer Bowles (pending offensive staff).

I'll say this, hope you like Pat Shurmur styled offense because all indications are that's what you can expect from Pederson (and pretty much any former Andy Reid offensive coach who didn't have prior OC experience before coming under the AR umbrella - see Reich, Frank).  You're correct in that Caldwell would be exponentially better for the development of Lawrence... and Etienne... and Laviska.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr LBC said:

I'll say this, hope you like Pat Shurmur styled offense because all indications are that's what you can expect from Pederson (and pretty much any former Andy Reid offensive coach who didn't have prior OC experience before coming under the AR umbrella - see Reich, Frank).  You're correct in that Caldwell would be exponentially better for the development of Lawrence... and Etienne... and Laviska.

I’m not gonna lie, if that’s the plan for Pederson/the type of offense he plans to run that worries me a little. 

The offense Moore or Byron would run probably fit Lawrence the best. I know it’s even been reported Lawrence loves the Linehan system which it seems like Moore has taken and added a few wrinkles to.

Edit: I did enjoy this read on him though. Seems like the perfect fit as far as a HC goes and what this organization desperately needs.

• Like 1

On 12/31/2021 at 1:46 PM, sdrawkcab321 said:

Pederson is a very safe choice. Probably won’t turn them into a contender but he’ll get them out of the cellar. 

See, I see 'safe choice' and I get flashbacks to the Titans Ken Whisenhunt days, and how we were 'lucky' he picked us over Detroit...

• Like 1

My meaningless chance to replace their HC this offseason ratings
AFC East:
Bills - 0/10
Patriots - 0/10
Jets - 6/10
Dolphins - 4/10

AFC West:
Raiders - 6/10
Chargers - 1/10
Chiefs - 0/10
Broncos - 9/10

AFC North:
Pittsburgh - 2/10 (I think a trade is slightly possible, and then a new coaching staff for post-Ben era)
Ravens - 1/10
Bengals - 1/10
Browns - 2/10 (Would need to be something involving Baker I would think)

AFC South:
Jaguars - 10/10
Texans - 7/10
Colts - 1/10
Titans - 1/10

NFC East:
Football Team - 2/10 (I think it would take basically change in ownership, Ron seems to be the public face of the entire organization with Dan Snyder in exile)
Cowboys - 3/10 (I think there's a slight chance if there was a chance their coordinators were about to get yanked that they would consider just promoting within to retain)
Giants - 7/10
Eagles - 2/10

NFC West:
49ers - 3/10 (Would be really shocked to not let him see at least year 2 of Lance, making the playoffs probably this is closer to 2)
Seahawks - 6/10 (more [suggested] retirement than firing, but if they actually move Russ... new era and old coach might be time for fresh everything)
Rams - 0/10
Cardinals - 2/10 (I think Kyler's early season start and making playoffs it's almost assured another year, injuries took a toll.)

NFC North:
Lions - 2/10 (Would be higher if they didn't pull those wins out, but Lions fighting hard it would be hard to see. I feel like him getting the job in the state it was in, it would have taken a Urban Meyer like failure to get fired after year 1.)
Vikings - 9/10 (I think Zimmer is in a similar boat as Fangio, being older DCs in MVP QB divisions and not having the offensive hope to sell to fans)
Bears - 10/10 (They have to sell the coaching gig to someone who believes completely in Fields)
Packers - 1/10 (If Rodgers I guess won the MVP again then the SB and wanted to hand pick everything to stay, I guess there is a chance. I don't think Rodgers' beef was with the HC at all though)

NFC South:
Falcons - 3/10
Saints - 0/10
Buccaneers - 2/10 (Brady/Arians retire, but I don't think so)
Panthers - 5/10 (Rhule firing Joe Brady, then the offense not improving while he micro manages a team with an impatient owner)

So that leaves teams with a 4/10 or higher with potential fits imo of:
Jets - 6/10 || If Saleh is fired, the emphasis would have to be on developing Zach Wilson. I don't think the Jets staff will be blamed on Wilson's disappointing rookie year given Mike (White? whatever his name is) flashed in a game so their system worked on a random in the season. If it happened though I could see Eric Bienemy and Brian Daboll as I think they both interviewed for the job last year, and perhaps the Jets could double back with buyer's remorse given the #2 pick QB didn't shine.

Dolphins - 4/10 || I don't think it would happen, but maybe. I think Ross might be the one wanting Watson, and if Flores isn't on board it might be a spark that causes a fire. Tua missing the playoffs, although he pulled an impressive string of wins off, might be replaced for Watson and if that happened with a coaching change. I think Watson vocally wanted Eric Bienemy in Houston and perhaps they could unite in Miami. I doubt it, but I'm conspiracy theorying here, maybe Fuller thought that was a possibility with Watson being his QB again, and he just hasn't cared to actually play for Tua.

Raiders - 6/10 || Rich taking the Raiders to the playoffs might buy him a full time shot. I don't think he would have the HC opportunity at a different organization though, and perhaps would agree to return as assistant HC/ST coordinator with Greg Olson retained as OC and Gus Bradley as DC. I don't think the Raiders coordinators are off limits to replace, but if Davis sees this as a playoff squad with functional coordinators perhaps extending Carr and retaining his coordinators and finding a HC candidate that fits the coordinators like Nathaniel Hackett (coached on Bradley's Jags, under Olson as QB Coach [then replaced Olson]). I think Brian Callahan (Bengals OC and Carr's former QB coach) is another sleeper if Mark Davis trusted Bill Callahan like he adored Gruden from the late 90s-early 00s Raiders. Another is former Raiders staff David Shaw, but I doubt he'd leave Stanford for this. I think Rich Bisaccia is the pick if Mayock is retained. Oddball pick of Reggie McKenzie returning to Davis and bringing Brian Flores with him if Miami cleans house.

Broncos - 9/10 || This has to be an offensive hire I feel like. I think if the Broncos land Aaron Rodgers Nathaniel Hackett would be among the strongest contenders. I think Paton's ties to Vikings... along with Broncos ties to Kubiak would give Gary Kubiak an interview if he was interested and they were missing on top candidates. I would think if Kubiak was a contender for the job he'd have a coordinator in the wings to take over for obvious reasons of he has resigned for health previously and is currently retired, but maybe that's a path to Joe Brady as assistant HC/OC to get him a bit more experience, but lined up for the job. I think Doug Pederson would be a very John Fox-y hire as well as a retread proven HC, but this time with an offensive background. I don't think you can bring in a diet Andy Reid into Reid's division though.

Jaguars - 10/10 || I think this is Jim Caldwell, or Doug Pederson with the entire idea of an offensive minded HC that will stabilize the organization and develop TLaw to his second contract. I think Nathaniel Hackett is also a contender, but without HC experience he would have had to have had made a big impression on the owner the last time he was employed by them. Byron Leftwich is the other option and the route to "young up and comer OC" for Jacksonville with the obvious connection of having played for the team.

Texans - 7/10 || I think there are interesting paths, and then the only two likely ones which are a) Patriots South 2.0; or b) Church of Houston. I feel like Church of Houston would just roll Culley back out there, but I think other options on that path include Marvin Lewis, Lovie Smith (internal hire), and Jim Caldwell (if Dungy really advised Cal McNair last cycle you would have to think he'd be considered). Patriots South 2.0 has options like Josh McDaniels, Jerod Mayo, maybe Brian Flores in some bizzaro Watson flip flop trade off.

Giants - 7/10 || I think the Giants are a slow moving franchise and would roll one more year of Gettleman/Judge/Jones, if they don't I think you have to replace all three. All three involves an entirely new package. I could see the Giants trading one of their first round picks for Steelers HC Mike Tomlin (perhaps with some Tomlin players to jump-start) and pair hire with Steelers front office man Brandon Hunt. I don't think they'd double dip into the Belichick tree after Judge, but Brian Daboll  would probably be a serious consideration. They also interviewed Mike McCarthy and Kris Richard for HC, and hired Jason Garrett as OC... so Cowboys might be on the radar leaving Dan Quinn and Kellen Moore as maybe targets (or Mike McCarthy if Dallas chose to promote a coordinator over retaining him)?

Seahawks - 6/10 || If Pete retires, but Seattle wants to let the GM keep trying the same game then a Pete Carroll disciple makes sense: Dan Quinn, Gus Bradley, Kris Richard, Daryl Bevell. If it is Pete leaves, and replace the GM with a new vision then they are likely entered a large rebuilding phase. With a big rebuild on the table I would think they would consider Nathaniel Hackett personality and quirkiness I could see meshing with Seattle and a tradition GB -> SEA pipeline. I think Kevin OConnell would have a shot as well with Rams OCs getting jobs all the time, and Seattle seeing that style of offense in LAR/SFO as well as across the league having success -- though I'm not sure OConnell is ready for that big of a leap it might be a take a shot and secure a young one as we rebuild type hire.

Vikings - 9/10 || I think this is a job that might look college for deep innovation after many older conservative hires (though a return to Leslie Frazier could exist I guess). Of the college options Matt Campbell, although his buyout might cost a fortune, I think would be the preference. He has "culture" tag on his resume and the Vikings could use that, especially when paired beside turning a program around and being a winner I feel like his 3-3-5 defense would be a fit in the NFL with the passing game ever more the focus. The Vikings are probably more appealing than Detroit was, so perhaps they could lure him to make the jump. Besides college ranks I think a switch to at least an offensive mind would be on the table which reverts to last years snubs in Eric Bienemy and Brian Daboll, with the new hype addition of Byron Leftwich.

Bears - 10/10 || From the college ranks Ryan Day stands out as Justin Fields former coach. Greg Roman (though I should say I don't think he is a real HC candidate) could probably sculpt an interesting offense with Fields, Montgomery and Herbert from the less competition winning program coordinator ranks. Doug Pederson would be a very stubborn "we liked our logic in hiring our last HC, but our fans rejected it so here is the other Reid disciple that inspired us to hire Nagy" (Mike Kafka would be another Andy Reid tree, with ties to Chicago area). Jim Harbaugh would be a big get from the college ranks as well, and he was their QB decades ago. Harbaugh had success with an athletic QB and strong run game and defense in SF, and the Bears could at least show some potential for similar opportunity. Matt Eberflus is a potential candidate if the Bears say defense is their identity and their best path to a strong hire is to go the other direction than other hiring teams and snag a top DC.

Panthers - 5/10 || I think if they fired Rhule, the college ranks are off the table. What their number one concern would be is identifying and developing a long term QB that can make them competitive ASAP. I think Brian Daboll, with his development of Josh Allen would be choice #1, that said if the QB is Watson Eric Bienemy was his Houston HC choice and could work. I think Byron Leftwich would be someone the Panthers are fairly aware of and would have on their radar as well, and then rounding it out with one defensive mind in Raheem Morris who could get another opportunity with the pieces the Panthers have collected on defense and they would have seen his success in the NFC South where he is familiar.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Trojan said:

Packers - 1/10 (If Rodgers I guess won the MVP again then the SB and wanted to hand pick everything to stay, I guess there is a chance. I don't think Rodgers' beef was with the HC at all though)

cmon, this is a 0/10.

i will give you 10000:1 odds that MLF is retained, especially if they win a SB

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Malfatron said:

cmon, this is a 0/10.

i will give you 10000:1 odds that MLF is retained, especially if they win a SB

It's a 0, but my rider was if Rodgers won a SB and MVP and demanded say in everything from draft, to FA, to coaching to return... it's slightly more likely than 0. I didn't even list potential hires for 2s and 3s and have John Harbaugh who isn't being replaced as a 1. I have Mike Tomlin listed as a potential trade making the Steelers a 2/10, so a 1/10 is extremely low lol.

1 minute ago, Trojan said:

It's a 0, but my rider was if Rodgers won a SB and MVP and demanded say in everything from draft, to FA, to coaching to return... it's slightly more likely than 0. I didn't even list potential hires for 2s and 3s and have John Harbaugh who isn't being replaced as a 1. I have Mike Tomlin listed as a potential trade making the Steelers a 2/10, so a 1/10 is extremely low lol.

ha, alright alright thats fair i suppose

Edited by Malfatron

6 hours ago, Trojan said:

Raiders - 6/10 || Rich taking the Raiders to the playoffs might buy him a full time shot. I don't think he would have the HC opportunity at a different organization though, and perhaps would agree to return as assistant HC/ST coordinator with Greg Olson retained as OC and Gus Bradley as DC. I don't think the Raiders coordinators are off limits to replace, but if Davis sees this as a playoff squad with functional coordinators perhaps extending Carr and retaining his coordinators and finding a HC candidate that fits the coordinators like Nathaniel Hackett (coached on Bradley's Jags, under Olson as QB Coach [then replaced Olson]). I think Brian Callahan (Bengals OC and Carr's former QB coach) is another sleeper if Mark Davis trusted Bill Callahan like he adored Gruden from the late 90s-early 00s Raiders. Another is former Raiders staff David Shaw, but I doubt he'd leave Stanford for this. I think Rich Bisaccia is the pick if Mayock is retained. Oddball pick of Reggie McKenzie returning to Davis and bringing Brian Flores with him if Miami cleans house.

If Rich isn't brought back I'd guess that Doug Pederson, David Shaw, Jim Harbaugh, and Gus Bradley are the first 4 guys that they reach out too. Followed by some defensive coordinators with previous head coaching experience in Todd Bowles and Leslie Frazier.

Mayock is a Philly guy and used to do color commentating for the Eagles when Pederson was their coach and they reportedly have a good relationship. David Shaw was a regular on NFL Network's draft show alongside Mayock so they definitely have a relationship and Shaw obviously has Raiders ties. I can't find anything linking Mayock to Harbaugh but he was regularly at Michigan's pro days so I'm sure they know each other and Harbaugh has Raiders ties as well.

I think Doug Pederson is the most realistic candidate because of his relationship with Mayock and I think Mike would be able to sell Mark on hiring him because he has won a Super Bowl fairly recently. Jim Harbaugh would be a slam dunk hire but I'm not sure that he's interested in leaving his Alma Mater coming off their best season in two decades for another NFL job.

David Shaw is an interesting name to watch for us, imo. He and Mayock worked together for years during NFL networks draft coverage so there's already that connection. And beyond that Shaw was an assistant coach for us at the start of his career and was someone that had a good relationship with Al Davis, so I'm assuming that he and Mark know each other well too. One road block I've heard is that David Shaw's wife isn't thrilled about the idea of potentially living in Las Vegas. 

But I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that Shaw jumps ship with Stanford to make the leap to the NFL. Stanford is 11-19 over the previous 3 seasons and they have an extremely tough path to become nationally relevant again. It was already difficult to recruit at Stanford due to their academic requirements and just got a whole lot harder with the new NIL deal in place.