Head Coach Firing/Hiring/Interview Rumors

Broncofan

This would be a fantastic hire for Fields’ development - Davis Mills & Justin Herbert mechanics really cleaned up under Pep the past 2 years.  As in massive progress.   Bears fans should be hoping he gets the OC gig.   Developing Fields and helping him reach his ceiling is the key to the franchise’s long term health.  

• Like 3

Pep Hamilton did not launch Mills. Mills is not good.

He flashed in a 4th quarter preseason after it was 38-0 Rams and the starters rested and laughed.

He had a good game against the 29/23 D during a Covid outbreak on the Chargers.

He was very good vs the Patriots. He was very good in week 18 vs Tennessee. He was good vs the Jags once.

He led the team to 3 TDs in about 30 quarters in his other 8+ games.

(including the Rams shutout through 3 quarters and 38-0)

You want to give the QB coach credit for that?

I think Pep is a good coach. Its not because of Mills.

13 hours ago, Totty said:

Can anyone say anything good about McDaniels as a head coach?  Please.  🥺

I actually do think he gets more flack that he should (at this point) - he was too young and clearly wasn't ready to be the guy when he got the gig in Denver and given the amount of stroke he was (I put as much blame on Denver's ownership and management as I do McDaniels, honestly - it's like putting a young monkey in an empty white room save for a bucket of poo and then being shocked when you come back to find a smelly Jackson Pollock).  Some of these ego guys need the humbling in order to finally be receptive to make changes in their own practices.  Has he done that?  I don't know - no one outside of maybe Belichick does - but I don't think it should automatically be assumed he'd going to revert back to 1.0.

But you want a positive?  He's at least demonstrably shown that if he's going to make a mess of things he does it quickly and severely - so at least it's like ripping off a Band-Aid; it may be a harsh pain but it happens quick and it gets itself over quick so it can be moved past.

Edited by Dr LBC
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, SkippyX said:

Pep Hamilton did not launch Mills. Mills is not good.

He flashed in a 4th quarter preseason after it was 38-0 Rams and the starters rested and laughed.

He had a good game against the 29/23 D during a Covid outbreak on the Chargers.

He was very good vs the Patriots. He was very good in week 18 vs Tennessee. He was good vs the Jags once.

He led the team to 3 TDs in about 30 quarters in his other 8+ games.

(including the Rams shutout through 3 quarters and 38-0)

You want to give the QB coach credit for that?

I think Pep is a good coach. Its not because of Mills.

Davis Mills looked like a guy who didn’t even belong in the CFL to start the season.   He looks like a pure backup now.    And most of the improvements  are mechanics.   Just because Mills is a limited QB doesn’t mean Pep didn’t do a good job.  Going from a 1 on 10 pt scale to a 4 (6-7 being league average) when the guy looked like a level 2-3 talent at best still gets credit.  

Agree to disagree.   

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Totty said:

Can anyone say anything good about McDaniels as a head coach?  Please.  🥺

Sure. Over the last few years the Pats have had next to no offensive talent and he’s got them to overperform despite it. They had nothing last year and Can was clearly washed this year and Josh morphed the whole team to play into his strengths. They went 7-9 with a bum QB and were competitive against contending teams. This year he morphed the offense again and pretty much gave Mac a perfect rookie development year despite still having mediocre skill talent. This is despite him being mostly known as a pass heavy coach. He showed a lot of versatility the last few years. 

He’s as qualified as anybody not named Payton. 

The question about him is did he mellow out from his last experience. Outside just on paper he’d be one of the top candidates in his class. It depends on how much you think he can mature. It’s worth noting he was like 7th youngest coach ever (and this was pre McVay so he was actually 6th at time). Like realistically it probably wasn’t a great idea to give him all that power at that age. McVay and Madden are extreme outliers in that regard. 

99% of the negatives is how much you think his Denver tenure is applicable to him over a decade later, where by most reports he took the firing to heart. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lancerman said:

Sure. Over the last few years the Pats have had next to no offensive talent and he’s got them to overperform despite it. They had nothing last year and Can was clearly washed this year and Josh morphed the whole team to play into his strengths. They went 7-9 with a bum QB and were competitive against contending teams. This year he morphed the offense again and pretty much gave Mac a perfect rookie development year despite still having mediocre skill talent. This is despite him being mostly known as a pass heavy coach. He showed a lot of versatility the last few years. 

He’s as qualified as anybody not named Payton. 

The question about him is did he mellow out from his last experience. Outside just on paper he’d be one of the top candidates in his class. It depends on how much you think he can mature. It’s worth noting he was like 7th youngest coach ever (and this was pre McVay so he was actually 6th at time). Like realistically it probably wasn’t a great idea to give him all that power at that age. McVay and Madden are extreme outliers in that regard. 

99% of the negatives is how much you think his Denver tenure is applicable to him over a decade later, where by most reports he took the firing to heart. 

I’m not worried about Josh’s scheme. He knows how to run offense with the best of them. 

I’m worried about:

1) Not a proven talent evaluator. Even if you do not have final say, you still need some talent evaluation skills as HC. His drafting on the Broncos was quite terrible… and Tebow in the 1st is something that is hard to look past. Even casual fans knew Tebow would not pan out in the NFL, and was a Late 2nd/Early 3rd Project pick. 

2) Leadership/Maturity

His Leadership/Maturity on the Broncos was quite awful, and just downright embarrassing. It was like a child was in charge. People CAN mature after some years, 100%, but then he backs out of the Colts job while the staff he has already put together is already moving there and looking for schools, and he did not tell them he was backing out. That’s not what a man does, that’s what a boy does. 

At the end of the day, as a fan, I just have to hope for the best and hope something has changed in him the past few years. However, I do not have my hopes up. 

8 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

I’m not worried about Josh’s scheme. He knows how to run offense with the best of them. 

I’m worried about:

1) Not a proven talent evaluator. Even if you do not have final say, you still need some talent evaluation skills as HC. His drafting on the Broncos was quite terrible… and Tebow in the 1st is something that is hard to look past. Even casual fans knew Tebow would not pan out in the NFL, and was a Late 2nd/Early 3rd Project pick. 

2) Leadership/Maturity

His Leadership/Maturity on the Broncos was quite awful, and just downright embarrassing. It was like a child was in charge. People CAN mature after some years, 100%, but then he backs out of the Colts job while the staff he has already put together is already moving there and looking for schools, and he did not tell them he was backing out. That’s not what a man does, that’s what a boy does. 

At the end of the day, as a fan, I just have to hope for the best and hope something has changed in him the past few years. However, I do not have my hopes up. 

Add insight/trustworthiness to #2.    Anyone who backs out of a job like he did in Indy, there should be trust issues.   And the fact he did that after what happened in Denver, it doesn't really inspire confidence that he's really changed in any meaningful way.

He's absolutely a bright guy.   Very likely a fantastic OC.  But the HC gig and worse yet, personnel control-HC, has a LOT more to it that that.  It's what doomed him in Denver.   Nothing in his recent history is reassuring that he's changed.   And frankly, it's crazy for any org to think about giving him personnel control.   It's a bad idea in general - there's only 1 BB that's made it work, and I'd argue personnel management is the weakest part of BB's game (vet FA / trades with bargain value tier his strongest, but drafting has always been less than the other GOAT-level coaching abilities).

• Like 2