Week 16 GDT - Tennessee Titans vs San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

12 minutes ago, NFL Network said:

The turning point in the 1992 NFC title game was the holding call on the Niners OL Guy Mcntyre that negated a 70 yard Jerry Rice TD and it was all Cowboys after that. Also Rickey Watter aided the turnover battle with a costly fumble. The defense giving up that big gain to Alvin Harper was the nail in the coffin after the Niners cut it to 24-20 but that catch set up another Dallas TD and finished whatever chance they had. I know Steve Young wasn't great that game as for some reasons in those 2 years the Cowboys had his number. Later on the Packers did the same to him. I agree Steve wasn't Joe Montana in his playoff starts aside from 1994 but without him they probably don't make the playoffs those years b/c a full season of Steve Bono or Elvis Grbac or whatever backup they carried was not suffice enough. 

Look at the Niners run of contention from 1981-1998 and what was the common denominator? It was a QB play that made them a contender year in & year out. Look at why the Packers are usually in contention since 1993 e.g. Favre & Rodgers. I don't even think Favre is that great but he got a alot of breaks with risky throws. Look at the Patriots run from 2001-2019? They were going nowhere with Drew Bledsoe 0-2 and all of a sudden they discovered Tom and the entire team rallied around him.

Yes. I'm not saying quality QB play doesn't improve a team's chances. I am trying to say that even with quality QB play every season, it just doesn't necessarily negate everything else. Because even if you have one, it's up to the front office and coaches to fix the other aspects of the team. There have been many an elite QB that have had their careers wasted because other parts of the team were never crisp enough to win it all. 

Anyway circle chatter. This is where I disembark. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 3