The enigma that is Jameis Winston

bucsfan333

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2741556-will-the-jameis-winston-roller-coaster-ever-slow-down

This is such a good article. 

Will Jameis stop trying to be a hero all the time? Will he figure out that a three yard checkdown is better than forcing it deep? Will he be closer to Brett Favre or Jay Cutler for his career?

These are the questions we need answered. We've all said it a million times; we go as far as he can take us. But where is he going to take us?

No idea. But on Sunday he was AWFUL, injured or not. He missed at least two touchdowns that could've changed the complexion of the game. That missed slant to DeSean Jackson was an easy pitch and catch and that bomb to Mike in the 4th. Just flat out garbage game by Winston. Growing pains when you have a young QB is that experience is the best teacher. He can make some of the toughest throws look easy and make easy throws complicated. Its frustrating to watch. No idea when the consistently good Winston will show up to play but I know its not what we should expect year 3. We don't have a running game to lean on so we're pretty much expecting him to win this on his arm. Which imo is doable considering the OL hasn't been bad and we have a lot of options but, its on #3.

4 minutes ago, REDandPEWTER said:

What worries me is that coaches drill into his head situational football and it still doesn't stick. It's year three and there hasn't been progression. 

But there has been progression. His INT percentage is like 2.3% and it was 3% or worse his first two years. He doesn't make as many "OMG WHAT ARE YOU DOING!?!?!?!?" throws anymore.

His mechanics get sloppy from time to time. And he still thinks he can make any throw. But he goes through his reads a lot better now, instead of deciding before the snap he's gonna chuck it to Evans no matter what. And he's shown amazing touch quite a bit this year; probably more than he ever did before.

His deep ball is a mess. And he still misses throws. But he knows the playbook better than Koetter does. It's all a matter of getting him to understand the 'situational football' and how important it is. He still doesn't seem to understand that a punt is always better than an INT or a fumble. And that's really the biggest issue.

37 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

But there has been progression. His INT percentage is like 2.3% and it was 3% or worse his first two years. He doesn't make as many "OMG WHAT ARE YOU DOING!?!?!?!?" throws anymore.

His mechanics get sloppy from time to time. And he still thinks he can make any throw. But he goes through his reads a lot better now, instead of deciding before the snap he's gonna chuck it to Evans no matter what. And he's shown amazing touch quite a bit this year; probably more than he ever did before.

His deep ball is a mess. And he still misses throws. But he knows the playbook better than Koetter does. It's all a matter of getting him to understand the 'situational football' and how important it is. He still doesn't seem to understand that a punt is always better than an INT or a fumble. And that's really the biggest issue.

Where is their progression? 

1 hour ago, REDandPEWTER said:

Where is their progression? 

I just told you?

Less interceptions. Less passes that can be intercepted. Better touch; especially in the 10-20 yard range. He goes through his progressions better/quicker... for the most part.

4 hours ago, bucsfan333 said:

I just told you?

Less interceptions. Less passes that can be intercepted. Better touch; especially in the 10-20 yard range. He goes through his progressions better/quicker... for the most part.

His vision is still hot and cold. Their are passes he forces to jacksonand Evans with other guys running open. His accuracy is off and he's gotten away with some really bad decisions that the defense failed to capitalize. One being his first pass of the season lol. 

Someone who looks at the numbers without the tape may see improvement. But watching the games, there is regression there. 

• 1 month later...
9 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

A little evolution in his game. I like it.

This is encouraging. If our offense could  incorporate more quick passes or slants to get the team in rytham we would be so much better off. This shows Jameis could evolve his game and throwing motion. Also, it shows how much work has been done with Jameis on making his throwing motion quicker over the last 2.5 years, or lack there of. 

On 11/2/2017 at 12:48 PM, REDandPEWTER said:

Someone who looks at the numbers without the tape may see improvement. But watching the games, there is regression there. 

I understand where you are coming from but that has to be one of the most ridiculous things I have heard.  I don't know many people that would could look at these numbers and not say he's getting better at the areas that everyone is constantly harping on him.  We already know about his ability to get yards and all that positive aspects of his game. Not trying to say he's not making stupid mistakes, but numbers in any form are the best way to see improvement.

Completion %  / year 1 - 58.3 / year 2 - 60.8 / year 3 - 61.9

INT/Int % / year 1 - 15/2.8 / year 2 - 18/3.2 / year 3 - 6/2.1

But the part everyone kind of glances over is that he has been playing in the NFL since he was only 21 and is 23 right now, in comparison lets look at some of the other up and coming QB's

Wentz - 25 / Goff - 23 / Prescott - 24 / Mariota - 24

Maybe, just maybe we could look at the limited progression based on the coaching staff, more so Koetter as he's really been the consistent.  We see what happens when the right staff comes together in the Rams.  A HC that seems to cater to a young QB and brings him along instead of what we're doing here.

57 minutes ago, YoungBucs15 said:

I understand where you are coming from but that has to be one of the most ridiculous things I have heard.  I don't know many people that would could look at these numbers and not say he's getting better at the areas that everyone is constantly harping on him.  We already know about his ability to get yards and all that positive aspects of his game. Not trying to say he's not making stupid mistakes, but numbers in any form are the best way to see improvement.

Completion %  / year 1 - 58.3 / year 2 - 60.8 / year 3 - 61.9

INT/Int % / year 1 - 15/2.8 / year 2 - 18/3.2 / year 3 - 6/2.1

But the part everyone kind of glances over is that he has been playing in the NFL since he was only 21 and is 23 right now, in comparison lets look at some of the other up and coming QB's

Wentz - 25 / Goff - 23 / Prescott - 24 / Mariota - 24

Maybe, just maybe we could look at the limited progression based on the coaching staff, more so Koetter as he's really been the consistent.  We see what happens when the right staff comes together in the Rams.  A HC that seems to cater to a young QB and brings him along instead of what we're doing here.

Don't use completion percentage. NFL coaches follow accuracy by ball placement when charting throws not completions. 

We don't glance over the fact he was 21 entering the league. I stated since when does a RS sophomore ever succeed in the NFL ? Rarely. Why? Maturity is one thing. The speed of the game another. 

He has over 50 turnovers in 41 starts and it seems that he hasn't learned. The coaches don't want to coach the competitive fire out of him but he hasn't learned from any experience. Koetter has to be frustrated Bc as bad as our defense has been, dumb mistakes and situational football decisions only further dig a team in a hole. 

See the fumble returned for a TD against Green Bay. It's 1st and 10 at the GB 30. Instead of taking a sack and getting two more downs to get into FG range to tie, he makes a stupid play that is handed the packers 7. 

Lets also not forget all the throws he gets away with that are thrown into double and triple coverage. If there is a heard of defenders on the guy your targeting, why not hit the next progression? The speed is too fast for him. 

21 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

He also got the lead back in the fourth quarter against the Packers. So he more than made up for that fumble.

Yeah he did. I said I gave him credit for that but again in the game day thread.  our offense and special teams gifted the packers 14 of their 20 points in regulation. He also got away with some very stupid throws that again, is not good for his development. 

Archived