The enigma that is Jameis Winston

bucsfan333

15 hours ago, REDandPEWTER said:

http://www.joebucsfan.com/2018/02/much-time-jameis/#more-193603

again, so much criticism towards the OL. Winston was top 10 in time given per pass attempt. He needs to throw it quicker. 

I’d balance that against saying Winston had the highest “air yards” behind Watson. That suggests we generally called plays where we were looking to push the ball downfield. 

I agree the oline played well in pass pro, but their inability to establish the run (or was that our coaching staff’s inability to play a competent RB for most of the season) probably influenced a lot of defensive gameplans.

2 hours ago, Buc Ball said:

I’d balance that against saying Winston had the highest “air yards” behind Watson. That suggests we generally called plays where we were looking to push the ball downfield. 

I agree the oline played well in pass pro, but their inability to establish the run (or was that our coaching staff’s inability to play a competent RB for most of the season) probably influenced a lot of defensive gameplans.

Disagree on the OL not getting push in the run. When Peyton barber was running , the run game looked competent. I think we can either upgrade both LG and RG or move marpet back to guard and upgrade C and LG. 

For the most part, I think RB was more the problem than the blocking. 

Barber was so good to the tune of less than four yards per carry. The oline needs upgraded, plain and simple.

And like @Buc Ball said, our offense is vertical. Jameis is gonna hold onto the ball a little longer than most QBs. 

Does anybody remember the breakdown Trevor did after the Cardinals shootout? It was ALL goes, posts, and flags. We'd run max protect and send DJax on a go on one side and have Evans run a post on the other side. They'd be covered by five guys and Jameis would be forced to hold on to the ball as long as he could. Meanwhile there wasn't anybody in coverage short, or anyone to check the ball down to.

1 hour ago, REDandPEWTER said:

Disagree on the OL not getting push in the run. When Peyton barber was running , the run game looked competent. I think we can either upgrade both LG and RG or move marpet back to guard and upgrade C and LG. 

For the most part, I think RB was more the problem than the blocking. 

Our running game looked much better with Barber in the game. I think we need to add at the guard positions and look at a long term replacement for RT to solidify the position group anyway.

I’d still argue that our line is much better at pass blocking than run blocking, but we don’t know the extent that Martin contributed to that. I’m with you though, I think it was more on the RB than the line.

45 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

Barber was so good to the tune of less than four yards per carry. The oline needs upgraded, plain and simple.

And like @Buc Ball said, our offense is vertical. Jameis is gonna hold onto the ball a little longer than most QBs. 

Does anybody remember the breakdown Trevor did after the Cardinals shootout? It was ALL goes, posts, and flags. We'd run max protect and send DJax on a go on one side and have Evans run a post on the other side. They'd be covered by five guys and Jameis would be forced to hold on to the ball as long as he could. Meanwhile there wasn't anybody in coverage short, or anyone to check the ball down to.

I still don’t understand why we don’t have hot routes. Our offense looked so much better last season when Koetter started incorporating the quick game and getting the ball out quickly. We’ve got guys like Jackson and Humph who are good in space, so why not use that more often?

At times last season, it felt like we either ran routes at 15-20 yards, or hitch screens to Sims/ Humph. We weren’t a balanced offense and we’re pretty predictable.

Improving the running game should improve this offense exponentially. Hopefully Monken gets the playcalling duties and we start running all kinds of creative stuff. I still have nightmares about that time Koetter ran “the toss” at the 2 for a 5 yard loss.

3 minutes ago, Buc Ball said:

I know bro. I’ve never seen a coaching staff so consistently committed to complete dog **** play.

I'm pretty sure the most yards we've ever gained on it is like five. But we probably average a loss of one for every time we run it.

21 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

I'm pretty sure the most yards we've ever gained on it is like five. But we probably average a loss of one for every time we run it.

IIRC, the RB with the best production running the toss is Simms.  Im pretty sure he had a good gain against the Jets.  Still the play has been a black hole.

1 minute ago, ravishingone said:

IIRC, the RB with the best production running the toss is Simms.  Im pretty sure he had a good gain against the Jets.  Still the play has been a black hole.

That one time it worked was the highlight of last season.

6 hours ago, bucsfan333 said:

AGain. Barbers 3.9 YPC is a mass upgrade than the measly 2 by doug Martin. Goes to show that barber was a massive upgrade yet that doesn’t mean he is a starter either. 

While I cannot argue with you, LG was a turnstile last year and had no stability. That position needs to be upgraded. 

Weve seen conversations of getting an upgrade at LT , LG, C and Rt. Or RG if we keep marpet in the middle. The line doesn’t need a complete overhaul. 

I also believe Hawley when heathy is an above average center. He played hurt and dropped weight in 2016 which led to a demotion for some reason. 

LG and depth are priorities but overhaul the entire line? No. 

Id look at two new RBs. Darkwa in FA and a young guy in the draft to pair with barber. 

Archived