Trevor Benched, Brock to QB Broncos

AnAngryAmerican

8 hours ago, Broncofan said:

@AKRNA I agree with your assessment that he's not ready.  But Elway's probably then going to say by Week 11 "let's see if he shows progress in-game" - realizing of course, you can definitely worsen a kid's progress and damage him by doing so.  

I need to be more clear. I think playing him is fine. Just not in the offense McCoy prefers.

Don't ask him to Do what he can't though. 

Line up in an I, two TE's often. Defenses are loading the box right now anyway. Might as well do the same. Heavy on the run, more bootlegs, roll outs, moving pockets. Get Lynch in space outside where he seems to be more comfortable.

Just don't use him in straight drops. Put him in situations where he can run if necessary.

I'd love to see it. Just don't ask him to Do what can't and take a beating in the process.

17 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

I need to be more clear. I think playing him is fine. Just not in the offense McCoy prefers.

Don't ask him to Do what he can't though. 

Line up in an I, two TE's often. Defenses are loading the box right now anyway. Might as well do the same. Heavy on the run, more bootlegs, roll outs, moving pockets. Get Lynch in space outside where he seems to be more comfortable.

Just don't use him in straight drops. Put him in situations where he can run if necessary.

I'd love to see it. Just don't ask him to Do what can't and take a beating in the process.

Ah that makes more sense.

Reality is that we are thinking 2018 if we let Lynch play.  It's why 2017 was Siemian or bust after the preseason, which guys like you & @BroncosFan2010 and others were calling from last year.   It just sucks that Siemian not only didn't get better from 2016 where he was far from great...but he's actually regressed where we'd take 2016 form in a heartbeat right now.   

So if we lose with Lynch in there from week 11 on...even that's OK.  We just need to see if there's anything there or not.  If not...well time to move on.  

4 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Reality is that we are thinking 2018 if we let Lynch play.  It's why 2017 was Siemian or bust after the preseason, which guys like you & @BroncosFan2010 and others were calling from last year.   It just sucks that Siemian not only didn't get better from 2016 where he was far from great...but he's actually regressed where we'd take 2016 form in a heartbeat right now. 

It didn't help that Elway failed to put together an OL capable of stopping him getting killed every time he dropped back.

He was playing better with a worse OL last year and worse running game so let’s not go making excuses.

To me, Siemian is a decent NFL backup QB. Osweiler and Lynch both have the talent to be starters but may not have the mental capacity to do so, we need to test them both out. I’m already of the opinion that the long term starting QB of this team is not currently on our roster. 

I'm just so sick of the excuses for Siemian. It reminds of the Hackenberg apologists while he was in college; blaming most his struggles on the oline when he was just not any good.

Siemian's pocket presence is crap, his accuracy beyond ten yards is woeful, his arm strength is adequate, and for such a supposedly smart QB, he's made some of the dumbest decisions I've seen a QB make. He was a 7th round pick for a reason. 

What do people see in this guy to continuously cape up for him? 

On 11/1/2017 at 12:53 PM, jsthomp2007 said:

I just think, at least with this week, playing a great team like the Eagles...Brock can handle the pressure....Siemiem, I regret to say...cannot.  

The good news is that Siemien has  a great brain and will have Brock prepared.  

IMO, the only way Denver wins this game is if the defense forces some big TO's and the offense protects the ball.  Which is definitely possible.

As I said in my last post, I can also see Denver's offense looking better than they have the last 3 games.  Not because Osweiler is the better player, but because it throws a wrench in the defenses gameplan.  With Siemian teams had figured it out+Siemian was a shell of himself and clearly getting hit as much as he had ruined him mentally (even with sound protection he was getting rid of the ball as if he would be hit). 

Philadelphia likely is guessing at how this offense will look.  Osweiler also won't have the mental block Siemian had.  Honestly, aside from the franchise QBs, there isn't a player in the league that can play as loose as Osweiler.  He was traded by Houston just to get rid of him and then was cut by maybe the only team in the league with worse QB play than Denver.  

I also keep reading that Siemian has taken a step back from last year.  I don't deny that, he has, but not as big as what is being made out to be.  

I posted this in the offseason and preseason and was burned by some people on this, but Siemian wasn't good last year, he was actually one of the worst QBs in the league.  At that time many against that notion argued that he was accurate and a good decision maker and my response to that was, no he wasn't.  His stats didn't tell the whole story because he got away with a handful of pick 6 INTs last season that would have drastically altered not only Denver's record, but people's perception of him.  I also read posts about if he gets better protection this year he will be a franchise QB.  In today's NFL that isn't saying much.  The majority of QBs aren't protected like they used to be, OLs seriously suck outside of a handful.  A franchise QB has to be able to get it done under pressure, that's today's game.  Hell, I like Alex Smith, wanted him when McDaniels was trying to trade Cutler, and I don't even consider him a franchise QB, but he's a veteran who understands defenses, avoiding sacks, and making his OL look better than they are.  Denver's defense was all over him Monday night, he did more running and throwing away than any QB I've seen in sometime, he also had no running game, but avoided hits, sacks, and stupid throws to win the game.  That's what a good QB in today's NFL has to be able to do.  That's not Siemian at this point.

17 minutes ago, germ-x said:

I also keep reading that Siemian has taken a step back from last year.  I don't deny that, he has, but not as big as what is being made out to be.  

I posted this in the offseason and preseason and was burned by some people on this, but Siemian wasn't good last year, he was actually one of the worst QBs in the league.  At that time many against that notion argued that he was accurate and a good decision maker and my response to that was, no he wasn't.  His stats didn't tell the whole story because he got away with a handful of pick 6 INTs last season that would have drastically altered not only Denver's record, but people's perception of him.  I also read posts about if he gets better protection this year he will be a franchise QB.  In today's NFL that isn't saying much.  The majority of QBs aren't protected like they used to be, OLs seriously suck outside of a handful.  A franchise QB has to be able to get it done under pressure, that's today's game.  Hell, I like Alex Smith, wanted him when McDaniels was trying to trade Cutler, and I don't even consider him a franchise QB, but he's a veteran who understands defenses, avoiding sacks, and making his OL look better than they are.  Denver's defense was all over him Monday night, he did more running and throwing away than any QB I've seen in sometime, he also had no running game, but avoided hits, sacks, and stupid throws to win the game.  That's what a good QB in today's NFL has to be able to do.  That's not Siemian at this point.

This is what I'm saying we say how bad Denvers roster is and it's not. If you flipped Carson Wentz and Trevor Siemian right now Broncos are 7 and 0 eagles are 2 and 5. This is a championship roster but you need a franchise qb to run the show.

I wanna see Lynch play the rest of the year, I wanna see signs of improvement or suckage to get a franchise qb. This qb purgatory has been such a headache. 

I hope Siemien realize how great of a backup QB he can be in this league.  He could play 15 years as a backup.  He is good for about 2-3 games per year, should the starter go down.  I just hope he realizes that and decides to stay in Denver as the long-term backup solution.  

I'm looking forward to Brock. He played pretty well the last time he was a Bronco. Better scrambler than Trevor with a better arm.

No pressure on him at all, just a second chance. 

He won't take the hits Trevor does. He'll throw it away and look to the next play.

Always the optimist I know, but we may be in for a pleasant surprise.

12 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

Better scrambler than Trevor with a better arm.

I strongly disagree with both of these assessments. Arm strength is probably pretty close, but Siemian is on a diff planet as far as scrambling goes.

That being said, all you have to do as the Broncos QB is not take bad sacks and not turn the ball over. It may be possible for Brock to do that. 

2 hours ago, AKRNA said:

I'm looking forward to Brock. He played pretty well the last time he was a Bronco. Better scrambler than Trevor with a better arm.

No pressure on him at all, just a second chance. 

He won't take the hits Trevor does. He'll throw it away and look to the next play.

Always the optimist I know, but we may be in for a pleasant surprise.

Yeah buddy...but, if you all are looking for mobility in your QB..what about this guy? 

Khalil Tate

https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/11/03/khalil-tate-heisman-trophy-arizona-usc

5 hours ago, champ11 said:

Random - are people still doubting Dak Prescott? He's having a great year. We'd be in such better shape with him :( 

I'll stand up now and admit I was dead wrong on him.   Now, any Joe could have succeeded last year behind that OL and that schedule (like say Andy Dalton level talent, or yes, even Siemian).     But this year, their OL has been a LOT worse, and the competition and game script has put Dak in the cross hairs, and he's been much better skills-wise.  He's still prone to the high ball, and pressure he's not nearly as good - but then again, who is.     

Archived