2022 Draft Position Watch

Broncofan

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

Dude, honestly call it a day.   Take the L here.  It's just a bad look here.

So, you got me laughin. This from the Chargers fan that wanted us to lose.

I thought maybe , just once , you'd let someone else get the last word.

You're worse than my ex. or just about any woman I've ever met. 

• Like 1

CLE-PIT & MIN-GB don't affect DEN's draft position if we lose to KC next week.  So now the picture really becomes clearer, for a few reasons:

1.   Every game next week is a divisional one - so every division we've played will end up being 2-2.   So even though different teams have played different divisions, the only records that change that affect SoS are for the same-place teams we've played that are unique (NYJ & JAX).    It's hard to see either NYJ or JAX winning, so that means our SoS is only going to get worse, so it's hard to believe anyone ahead of us will suddenly "catch" us.    Lose, and it's pretty clear we should be no worse than #11. 

2.  The only team we are behind at 7-9 is ATL - and they do play NO.   NO is in a win-and-get-in game, so it's not like they'll be evaluating next year's guys.     Anything can happen, but it's a tall order to think ATL will beat NO.  BUT, if that happens, then we jump to #10 without even worrying about other teams.

3.  The 6-10 teams - WFT, Chicago & Seattle - all would "catch us" with a W, as their SOS is well above .510 (and ours at .478, too hard to see them catch us if NYJ/JAX lose).   WFT gets NYG - very winnable.     Seattle is going to play ARI - who may also already know their fate if LAR-SF plays on Saturday.    Really, DEN fans not only want a LAR W, but preferably on Saturday - because then SEA plays an ARI team

that may rest a lot of guys for the next week's playoffs, with nothing to play for (and yes, this is what KC did with us in Week 17 with Mahomes' debut in 2018).    As for CHI, they get MIN - who look like they'll be eliminated.   While MIN is the better team, when there's nothing to play for, we've seen what happens (CHI beating SEA last week). 

TL:DR Bottom line:

1.  Lose to KC and we likely won't be any worse than 11.  JAX/NYJ winning could make a change, but even then the SoS gap is pretty large.

2.  ATL wins and we drop to 10. 

3.  WFT, CHI and/or SEA win, and we move up another spot.  

4.  To improve SEA's chances of winning against ARI, having the LAR-SF game happen next Saturday, and LAR win, would then give ARI nothing to play for and good reasons to rest their guys.

So the first bit of news to look for is LAR-SF being moved to Saturday, and then LAR winning.  That opens up a TON of scenarios where a DEN L moves us up to really premium pick range.  Obviously no one wants them to try and lose, but playing a KC team with everything to play for, and who won't accept ending the season with 2 L's in a row, well, not hard to think a L is coming, and then there's a LOT to follow next week.   Can't wait!

Edited by Broncofan

WFT over NYG

CHI over MIN

ATL over NO

SEA over ARI

Those are the rooting interests. A loss to KC basically guarantees us 11th overall at worst, these outcomes would move us up potentially all the way to 7th. Looking at them, I’d say it’s a coin flip between finishing between the 9th and 10th spots (I’ll probably use the 9th pick when I’m running mock simulations this week. Optimism!)

2 hours ago, broncosfan_101 said:

WFT over NYG

CHI over MIN

ATL over NO

SEA over ARI

Those are the rooting interests. A loss to KC basically guarantees us 11th overall at worst, these outcomes would move us up potentially all the way to 7th. Looking at them, I’d say it’s a coin flip between finishing between the 9th and 10th spots (I’ll probably use the 9th pick when I’m running mock simulations this week. Optimism!)

LAR beating SF, and eliminating ARI from a division win (and locking them into the 1st WC spot 2 games up on every other WC hopeful), would be ideal.   Or if SF wins that eliminates NO.   One of the 2 games for ATL & SEA might get an opponent sitting guys there that situation - if LAR & SF played on Saturday (2 games go there, TBD who is playing, that seems very likely LAR-SF will be one of the 2 Sat games). 

That might lead either NO/ARI to look to 2022 with their guys (and ARI to rest starters for the next week since their 5 spot would be locked in no matter what).  LAR-SF on Saturday would be ideal. 

Edited by Broncofan

5 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

LAR beating SF, and eliminating NO from the playoffs, and ARI from a division win (and locking them into the 1st WC spot 2 games up on every other WC hopeful), would be ideal.   Even better - LAR & SF play on Saturday (2 games go there, TBD who is playing, that seems very likely LAR-SF will be one of the 2 Sat games).

Cowboys-Eagles and Chiefs-Broncos (lolololol) moving to Saturday, just announced.

Thanks to Goodell though. This season ending a day earlier than expected is nothing short of merciful.

Edited by broncosfan_101
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Cowboys-Eagles and Chiefs-Broncos (lolololol) moving to Saturday, just announced.

Thanks to Goodell though. This season ending a day earlier than expected is nothing short of merciful.

Ah well then NO & ARI will be going all out.   If LAR winning by a wide margin we might see ARI pull starters earlier in the 2H but that’s about it.   

Chiefs-Broncos on Saturday for a national audience.  Again.   GOOD GRIEF. 

A cynical person might say the NFL gave Dallas, Philly & KC an extra day off for their week 1 playoff game (PHI can't do better than 6-7 seed, DAL won't get a bye).   I'm sure it's just coincidence.  😜

Edited by Broncofan

14 hours ago, broncosfan_101 said:

I said yesterday when I was watching games at the bar that the NFL would figure out a way to get Dallas on either Saturday or Sunday night because of course they would. And I guess they also wanted to get Maholmes on TV so we got that one, the undercard flex game. 

1 hour ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I said yesterday when I was watching games at the bar that the NFL would figure out a way to get Dallas on either Saturday or Sunday night because of course they would. And I guess they also wanted to get Maholmes on TV so we got that one, the undercard flex game. 

And don’t underestimate that PHI / DAL / KC all get 1 more prep day for week 1 playoffs.   TV ratings wise making it past week 1 only helps to have Mahomes & DAL/PHI there.   KC likely isnt getting a bye so the game result is likely moot for week 18 (obv not for us).  

A day more to prepare for week 1 playoffs is a huge advantage when you realize week 18 results for those 2 games are likely moot. 

Edited by Broncofan

40 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

And don’t underestimate that PHI / DAL / KC all get 1 more prep day for week 1 playoffs.   TV ratings wise making it past week 1 only helps to have Mahomes & DAL/PHI there.   KC likely isnt getting a bye so the game result is likely moot for week 18 (obv not for us).  

A day more to prepare for week 1 playoffs is a huge advantage when you realize week 18 results for those 2 games are likely moot. 

It’s sad that that’s how these decisions get made but it is the reality of sports bad big business.

I remember a few year ago the Rox played the Cubs in the 1-game “Wild Card” and MLB was doing everything they could to get the Cubs to win the game. 

Ok entertaining game and team gave it their all - but we lose and finish 7-10.   Best case scenario from draft ammo perspective - we likely are locked in no later than the 11 pick.   

Tomorrow’s simple - WFT / SEA / CHI / ATL win we move up 1 spot with each win.    Either way we also end up ahead of the big Wilson / A-Rod listed suitors (NO, PIT, NYG) other than NYG (who for some reason are supposedly sticking with Joe Judge & Daniel Jones 1 more year - I’ll believe it when I see it).   

For one week we’re all WFT / Falcons / Bears / Seahawk fans.  Nice to have something to root for on the last Sunday before playoffs.  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

CHI absolutely fell apart in the 2nd half, but WFT did the job. Sitting at 10th overall going into the late game window. Looking for ATL and SEA wins to drop us down to 8th as our new best case scenario. If I had to guess, 67% chance of staying at 10, 33% climbing to 9. 

Andy Dalton is useless.