Christian McCaffrey: Is the upside even there to turn it around

Darkness

1 hour ago, celestial said:

Still a waste of a top 10 pick for me. He's a good slot receiver, but not someone the Panthers needed. Cam still needs wide receivers and they were there for the choosing. Richardson was right to fire Gettleman. He sabotaged Newton.

Disagree. Panthers absolutely needed someone who could catch out of the backfield or in the slot. They already had the X and Z with Benjamin and Funchess to start the season, as well as Olsen. They needed someone who could serve as a quick target for Newton.

I also disagree that there were WRs there for the choosing, at least that were obvious. Hindsight is 20/20 with JuJu, for example.

I just really don't understand how Panthers fans can complain about a rookie RB that gave the team 1,000+ yards from scrimmage behind a bad OL.

1 minute ago, childofpudding said:

Disagree. Panthers absolutely needed someone who could catch out of the backfield or in the slot. They already had the X and Z with Benjamin and Funchess to start the season, as well as Olsen. They needed someone who could serve as a quick target for Newton.

I also disagree that there were WRs there for the choosing, at least that were obvious. Hindsight is 20/20 with JuJu, for example.

I just really don't understand how Panthers fans can complain about a rookie RB that gave the team 1,000+ yards from scrimmage behind a bad OL.

Newton would be better off with a receiving target to replace or compliment Benjamin. Panthers could have taken John Ross, Taywan Taylor, Cooper Kupp, or JuJu. McCaffrey doesn't add as much value or offer the same potential on a per snap basis. 

3 minutes ago, celestial said:

Newton would be better off with a receiving target to replace or compliment Benjamin. Panthers could have taken John Ross, Taywan Taylor, Cooper Kupp, or JuJu. McCaffrey doesn't add as much value or offer the same potential on a per snap basis. 

Yeah he does. Especially if they can make some tweaks to the OL this year offseason to help get a ground game going. McCaffrey would certainly provide as much or more than those guys on a per snap basis.

1 hour ago, celestial said:

Still a waste of a top 10 pick for me. He's a good slot receiver, but not someone the Panthers needed. Cam still needs wide receivers and they were there for the choosing. Richardson was right to fire Gettleman. He sabotaged Newton.

Like that stud John Ross?  Yeah, he totally wouldn't have been a 'wasted pick'..  Seriously though, Cam doesn't know what to do with wide receivers.  It's amazing, the guy has been in the league for 7 years, and people still feel the need to make excuses for his mediocre play... lol, sabotaged. get a grip dude...

Panthers had a clear need at running back.  Stewart was actually less productive than McCaffrey, yet continued to get the bulk of the carries throughout the year.  McCaffrey was a good pick, maybe if they tried giving him more than 4-5 carries per game, he'd be more productive...

Just now, celestial said:

They had Funchess, as I mentioned. A 6'4" or 6'5" receiver playing the X. And like I said, hindsight is 20/20. No one was projecting anyone on your list as a top 10 pick except for Ross, and he was on the fringe and did nothing as a rookie.

Just now, frenchie said:

Like that stud John Ross?  Yeah, he totally wouldn't have been a 'wasted pick'..  Seriously though, Cam doesn't know what to do with wide receivers.  It's amazing, the guy has been in the league for 7 years, and people still feel the need to make excuses for his mediocre play... lol, sabotaged. get a grip dude...

Panthers had a clear need at running back.  Stewart was actually less productive than McCaffrey, yet continued to get the bulk of the carries throughout the year.  McCaffrey was a good pick, maybe if they tried giving him more than 4-5 carries per game, he'd be more productive...

Ross had injury problems. He has hardly played so we can't judge him yet, but even then there was JuJu, Taywan Taylor and Cooper Kupp. I can't believe you're attacking Newton when he doesn't have weapons. He's not a pure pocket passer. He needs more weapons but given them he can win playoff games. 

3 minutes ago, childofpudding said:

They had Funchess, as I mentioned. A 6'4" or 6'5" receiver playing the X. And like I said, hindsight is 20/20. No one was projecting anyone on your list as a top 10 pick except for Ross, and he was on the fringe and did nothing as a rookie.

Funchess is slow, and was poor route  runner coming out of college with weak hands. Big Ben's entire receiving corps from JuJu to Bryant is better than Funchess.  Imho, Gettkeman went into the draft releasing receivers like Teddy  Ginn and knowing Cam needs weapons. And Gettleman takes CMC, who has potential as an explosive back but isn't a sure thing, and not the best choice with such a high pick to be fair. 

In the end, don't you guys still need receivers and RB? 

10 minutes ago, celestial said:

Ross had injury problems. He has hardly played so we can't judge him yet, but even then there was JuJu, Taywan Taylor and Cooper Kupp. I can't believe you're attacking Newton when he doesn't have weapons. He's not a pure pocket passer. He needs more weapons but given them he can win playoff games. 

McCaffrey was a good pick for them. If you really are going to go with this argument you should be criticizing them for taking Curtis Samuel over Juju, Cooper Kupp, and Taywan Taylor...  

6 minutes ago, celestial said:

Funchess is slow, and was poor route  runner coming out of college with weak hands. Big Ben's entire receiving corps from JuJu to Bryant is better than Funchess.  Imho, Gettkeman went into the draft releasing receivers like Teddy  Ginn and knowing Cam needs weapons. And Gettleman takes CMC, who has potential as an explosive back but isn't a sure thing, and not the best choice with such a high pick to be fair. 

In the end, don't you guys still need receivers and RB? 

Nope they are covered at RB. They need an improved OL.

4 hours ago, tyler735 said:

McCaffrey was a good pick for them. If you really are going to go with this argument you should be criticizing them for taking Curtis Samuel over Juju, Cooper Kupp, and Taywan Taylor...  

Actually it was a pretty bad pick in hindsight. Even at the time I thought it was a massive reach.

McCaffrey has been pretty terrible at running the ball this year. And people who loved him so much did so because apparently he was supposed to be a great receiving back who could also carry the ball 15+ times a game and be a #1 back (in the run game)

And considering all the talented RBs in that draft who were drafted later, it looks even worse.

Tarik Cohen is better. As is Kamara obviously. And Kareem Hunt

And then you have guys like Perine, Mack, And Foreman who all would have a bigger impact on Carolina than McCaffrey.

I mean sure, he's a very good receiving back but a mediocre at best runner. If you really think that he was a good pick at #8, especially with literally 5+ guys drafted in the 2nd round or later that are clearly better, then you're delusional or you're Christian McCaffreys mom.

Lulz. This thread.

There's a reason we just fired our OC. It may have something to do with him being terrible at establishing a good run scheme. And despite that, McCaffrey still put up over 1,000 scrimmage yards and had 80 receptions.

Yes, Carolina needs better help on the outside. They drafted Samuel, who got hurt, to bring speed. Byrd also brings speed, and got hurt. They need more, but it's not like they made no attempt to address it. That has no impact on whether McCaffrey was a good pick for them. He was and he demonstrated that he's going to be a quality player for them, barring injury, for a while.

Archived