Christian McCaffrey: Is the upside even there to turn it around

Darkness

13 minutes ago, Vladimir L said:

if you draft a rb as a top 10 pick its to be an all down back

I think if you draft anyone in the top 10 it is because you think they are an impact player.  McCaffrey is already that.  Just because McCaffrey doesn't seem to fit the common preconceived mold of a traditional RB (and who knows, this was his first year, I'm sure he'll continue to bulk up), doesn't mean he isn't worth the pick..  

9 minutes ago, BLick12 said:

I think if you draft anyone in the top 10 it is because you think they are an impact player.  McCaffrey is already that.  Just because McCaffrey doesn't seem to fit the common preconceived mold of a traditional RB (and who knows, this was his first year, I'm sure he'll continue to bulk up), doesn't mean he isn't worth the pick..  

for any rb the bench mark is 1000 rushing yards.....only need 60 yards per game to achive this

he isnt a bust but he didnt live up to expectations 

50 minutes ago, Vladimir L said:

for any rb the bench mark is 1000 rushing yards.....only need 60 yards per game to achive this

1000 yards rushing is an absurdly antiquated way to view the success of a RB in this day and age.

6 hours ago, Vladimir L said:

Name a running back that ever gained 1000 yards in a season, while only getting 5 carries per game...

9 minutes ago, Vladimir L said:

Marshall Faulk was in a pass heavy offense.

Yeah F that Kamara and Hunt are clearly better runners.. To even debate or defend him is absurd. He’s a solid player but not worth his slot. Hope he improves though kid is dinamic as hell. 

They need to fix their run game. It has very little to do with McCaffrey and their RB group. It has a lot more to do with their inability to block anyone. I'd bet they see more 8 man boxes than anyone in the NFL. Until they have someone that can legitimately run past people as an outside WR, I expect them to continue to struggle blocking for these guys.

90% of the time a RB fails it's because the blocking is terrible. The other 10% of the time is because the RB is too slow, timid, or is Trent Richardson. McCaffrey is none of those things. Teams that invest high picks in RB's also have to invest high picks in blocking assets to make it worth the investment. They need another guard and a LT if they're going to continue to be a power run team.

CMC could be a starting WR if they wanted to move him there full time. I don't think CMC was a bad pick at all for them. They need to build up that offense around he and Cam a little more, but I don't blame him for his lack of rushing production.

31 minutes ago, El ramster said:

Yeah F that Kamara and Hunt are clearly better runners.. To even debate or defend him is absurd. He’s a solid player but not worth his slot. Hope he improves though kid is dinamic as hell. 

And both have clearly better OL's and weapons around them. I don't know if you can argue that McCaffrey is better than Kamara and Hunt--two of the most productive rookie RB's in a long time--but they are both clearly in better situations.

1 hour ago, BleedTheClock said:

They need to fix their run game. It has very little to do with McCaffrey and their RB group. It has a lot more to do with their inability to block anyone. I'd bet they see more 8 man boxes than anyone in the NFL. Until they have someone that can legitimately run past people as an outside WR, I expect them to continue to struggle blocking for these guys.

90% of the time a RB fails it's because the blocking is terrible. The other 10% of the time is because the RB is too slow, timid, or is Trent Richardson. McCaffrey is none of those things. Teams that invest high picks in RB's also have to invest high picks in blocking assets to make it worth the investment. They need another guard and a LT if they're going to continue to be a power run team.

CMC could be a starting WR if they wanted to move him there full time. I don't think CMC was a bad pick at all for them. They need to build up that offense around he and Cam a little more, but I don't blame him for his lack of rushing production.

This, for the most part. They certainly need an upgrade over Matt Kalil at LT.  But their guard tandem of Turner and Norwell is great. Ryan Kalil is in the decline, but still a great player. That’s a great interiors. And Daryl Williams is a serviceable RT. 

Youve more so hit on the structural issues the team has that hinder the run game. The roster talent at receiver is lacking. And Mike Shula’s scheme, his playcalling tendencies (I.e. tipping his hand with his formations), his terrible feel for play call sequencing, and a lack of awareness when it comes to situational play calling has really stunted the offense overall. And it has really allow teams to game plan toward taking away the run, because they don’t need to respect the pass so much. 

So anyone looking at McCaffrey’s rookie season and calling him a bust is failing to recognize the context of what was actually a pretty impressive season. 

5 hours ago, fraziafraze07 said:

This, for the most part. They certainly need an upgrade over Matt Kalil at LT.  But their guard tandem of Turner and Norwell is great. Ryan Kalil is in the decline, but still a great player. That’s a great interiors. And Daryl Williams is a serviceable RT. 

Youve more so hit on the structural issues the team has that hinder the run game. The roster talent at receiver is lacking. And Mike Shula’s scheme, his playcalling tendencies (I.e. tipping his hand with his formations), his terrible feel for play call sequencing, and a lack of awareness when it comes to situational play calling has really stunted the offense overall. And it has really allow teams to game plan toward taking away the run, because they don’t need to respect the pass so much. 

So anyone looking at McCaffrey’s rookie season and calling him a bust is failing to recognize the context of what was actually a pretty impressive season. 

Too early to call him a bust, but it wasn't an impressive selection in the context of where he was drafted. McCaffrey had basically Danny Woodhead's best season in 2017, lots of receptions, but little value as a RB or kick returner. Now maybe he improves next season, as you said, Carolina will have a new offensive coordinator. But McCaffrey was the eighth overall selection, and more is obviously expected. The impact all purpose backs can hurt you rushing, receiving, and returning. A top ten pick has to have a major impact, and McCaffrey has a long way to go. I don't have the 2017 draft results handy, but their were plenty other players drafted after McCaffrey who enjoyed better rookie seasons.  

46 minutes ago, LaserFocus said:

Too early to call him a bust, but it wasn't an impressive selection in the context of where he was drafted. McCaffrey had basically Danny Woodhead's best season in 2017, lots of receptions, but little value as a RB or kick returner. Now maybe he improves next season, as you said, Carolina will have a new offensive coordinator. But McCaffrey was the eighth overall selection, and more is obviously expected. The impact all purpose backs can hurt you rushing, receiving, and returning. A top ten pick has to have a major impact, and McCaffrey has a long way to go. I don't have the 2017 draft results handy, but their were plenty other players drafted after McCaffrey who enjoyed better rookie seasons.  

It's kind of crazy to me. I don't see panic threads on Mitchell Trubisky, Solomon Thomas, Corey Davis, Jamal Adams, Mike Williams, John Ross, or Patrick Mahomes. All of them had mediocre at best first years largely due to several circumstances around them, but were also top 10 picks. McCaffrey in some regards had lackluster numbers (Also due to a circumstance around him with run blocking), but despite this, still put up overall solid numbers rushing/receiving given the circumstances. It just seems absurd that people seem to flock towards saying McCaffrey didn't live up to the top 10 pick, when he was more productive than most of the top 10 picks in the draft this year, and we see no panic threads on any of these other guys on here.

Archived